“Sandestin Studio Condo Baytowne Wharf” 3 of 5 stars

Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9300 Emerald Coast Pkwy West, Sandestin, FL 32550   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sandestin
Mount Dora, Florida
“Sandestin Studio Condo Baytowne Wharf”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Well, the room was clean, that is as far as I can go with "kudos". The "Studio/Condo" was little more than an oversized closet. The room didn't even have as much as a chair in the unit. Two queen sized beds, 2 night stands and an old beat up small dresser that held an outdated small (did I say small?) TV. The bathroom had only one towel bar and the sink was held up by two makeshift metal poles, or it would have fallen off the wall. There was no area in the bathroom to lay out your cosmetics or personal items, and no place to dry a towel, other than 1 towel bar,
The comical thing is, the room had a full set of flatware, plates, glasses, and place mats, but there was no table and chairs to use them at. There were no plastic cups available to take to the pool and the snack bar was not ever open at the pool to purchase refreshments. Although, the pool area was very nice!
We called when we discovered no Wi-Fi, they sent up an Ethernet cord, but there was no connection (it was not our computer).
Signage in the hallways of the rooms was terrible. We entered from the guest parking garage and had a hard time trying to figure out how to exit to the "Baytowne Wharf" area.
The Baytowne Wharf area was interesting, but the customer service was not there. Nearly every place we went (restaurants), the staff was pre-occupied with their lap tops and iPhones, and we seemed to be intruding. The only place that we received excellent service and food was at the Marlin Grill. We tended to gravitate there, since the bartender and other staff, were super friendly and helpful.
It was made known to us by everywhere we went, that this time of year is "dead" and "off season" (Sept-May), so it was surprising that we did not get better customer service, as one would assume they were not over worked, and it appeared they could really use more business.
Overall, it was a "ho-hum" experience, and I am not in a rush to return to the Sandestin Resort, but the beaches are gorgeous in that area!!

Room Tip: Don't opt for the "studio condo" in Baytowne Wharf area, way too small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Terry W,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Sandestin on your most recent trip to the area. I am saddened to see you were not completely satisfied with your accomodations. We have many other unit types available that may better suit your needs for your next stay. One of our reservation specialist will be happy to assist you. Glad you were able to check out the Village and what we have to offer. I apologize for the lack of customer service you received from some of the restaurant staff you encountered. This certainly is not what Sandestin is all about. The Marlin Grill was a great choice...great food and drinks for sure. We do hope you will visit us again and enjoy all of our complimentary amenities and all we have to offer. If I can be of assistance please feel free to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience during your stay and we look forward to you visiting again soon.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Dothan, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed in this studio Sept. 21-23. What I loved about this unit: the bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Since housekeeping took all day to prepare our room, we got the bay view which was amazing; otherwise, our reservation was for the golf view. We were told housekeeping has up to 6 p.m. to prepare rooms. Staff was very accommodating. The only problem with the unit was that the hair dryer in the bathroom didn't work well (outlet plate loose as were with some of the others). There was an additional hair dryer in the closet which I wasn't sure was the replacement or was left behind. I brought my own so I used it. Our TV was very fuzzy but my husband giggled the connection and it cleared up for the rest of our stay. Room was a little musty but we raised the air condition and that was taken care of. All in all, I would definitely stay here again. Also, I got a great rate of $99/nite.

Room Tip: I got a good rate because I opted to receive their promotions which are available on their site. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear pattyj,
Thank you so much for your review. We are honored you chose to stay with us here at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. So glad that you enjoyed LeCiel and all it has to offer. I see we were able to accomodate you in a bay view room...there are the most amazing views and sunsets from the balconies at LeCiel. We hope you were able to take advantage of some of the wonderful complimentary amenities we offer as well. I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered in your unit. We strive to accommodate each and every guest and appreciate your feedback. We use this feedback to improve our operation and guests service on a daily basis. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com.
We look forward to your next stay with us here at Sandestin!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Sandestin, located along the shores of the Choctawhatchee Bay in Northwest Florida, boasts The Village of Baytowne Wharf. This area features an array of boutiques, eateries, galleries and nightlife-- not to mention a jam-packed schedule of outdoor festivals and special events for the entire family. This spectacular setting, all within the gates of Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, is the perfect spot to spend a vibrant afternoon or evening. You can find everything from Cajun to funky and fresh. One of your most memorable stops will be enjoying a delicious snowball at Tony LaRue’s. Tony LaRue’s snowballs are like no other you’ll find anywhere else! Some of Sandestin’s annual celebrations include:

Spring—The Village Goes Green for St. Patrick’s Day festivities; A Basketful of Fun at Easter; ArtsQuest Fine Arts Festival on Mother’s Day Weekend

Summer—Concerts under the Stars, Fourth of July Celebration, Annual Triathlon

Fall—Canines on the Catwalk; Baytowne Film Festival; Beaujolais Nouveau Holiday Kick-off Celebration

Winter—First Night Sandestin on New Year’s Eve; Great Southern Gumbo Cook-off; Mini Mardi Gras

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Marika F,

Wow, thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We certainly appreciate your business. It looks like you and your family totally enjoyed every bit of what Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort has to offer. I see you had a snowball!!! They are the best ever! We do have some amazing events throughout the year and they are so much fun for all ages. Maybe you and your family can come back and visit during one of the other times tou listed and enjoy everything from fireworks to festivals.
Again, we appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice hotel, clean, but the beach was totally too crowded. Destin has beautiful beaches, but a little to crowded for my liking. Had to pay for parking. Traffic is bad during the summer months.
Staff was friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear DMAJMT,

Thank you for staying with us during your most recent visit to the Destin area. We appreciate your business and are happy to see you enjoyed your time here at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. I am sorry to see you may not have enjoyed the beach to the fullest extent dues to the occupancy. We apologize for that as we do have the most beautiful beaches on the coast. Please come and visit us again soon and take advantage of all of the amenities we have for our guests. Again, thank you for choosing Sandestin and we look forward to your return.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a condo in Observation Point. The condo was very dirty! There was blood on the curtains, mold in the shower, ripped up carpet, cigarette burns on a nightstand, broken closets, thick dust all over the condo! I brought this to the attention of the manager and she was rude and even after seeing the room, still wanted me to pay full price for my stay! The front desk was rude! Housekeeping was rude! I would never stay at this resort again!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear DMAJMT,
Thank you for staying with us here at Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Please know these service standards are unacceptable here at Sandestin. I would like to speak with you in more detail regarding your stay at your earliest convenience. Please contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Leesburg, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just returned from being the host of our three-day annual physician retreat - 22 people in all, including 4 children. We had a terrific time! In fact, I cannot save enough good things about the Grand Sandestin one and two-bedroom units. They were beautiful - each of our attending families were thrilled with the accomodations! The group sales staff, the banquet staff, the front desk staff, and concierge desk staff were ALL EXTREMELY HELPFUL! We had changes to our banquet requests - handled with absolute professionalism. In fact, of the four of these I have recently hosted for this specific group, this was by far the BEST FOLKS TO WORK WITH! THANK YOU ALL OF YOU!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michele J,

We are so happy to hear you and all of your group guests enjoyed their most recent conference here at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We strive to meet all of our guest needs and I see we accomplished this with your group. We are pleased to see your group was satisfied with their unit selections and accommodations. Thank you for your comments regarding all of the lodging staff and how they assisted your group. We pride ourselves in exceptional guests service and so happy we accomodated all of the groups needs and expectations. We look forward to your next conference here at Sandestin.

Großraum Ulm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

As a mistake of the travel agency we got a voucher for this hotel instead of Hilton Sandestin Beach & Golf. The room was clean but very, very small. Bathroom was also very small with old interior. We were on the first floor and the patio door could not really be locked. Beach was too far away (ca. 1.5 miles by car). In our opinion the rates paid for this hotel were too expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Preischaot,
We are glad to see you had a chance to stay with us here at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. I was saddened to see you were not completely happy with your accomodations. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have cause you and your family during your visit. I see the voucher you received placed you at LeCiel. It is our resort boutique hotel. We do have many other wonderful accomodations available here on the resort. Everything that you would want with all of the amenities to go with it. We have many beachfront units I know would meet your expectations. We offer many free amenities as well to all of our guests. I do hope you were able to enjoy some of these while you were here. We look forward to your next stay and please feel free to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com with any questions you may have or to discuss in further detail.
Regards,

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!