“Quality for great price” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Tampa Baseball Package
Ranked #13 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
Cold Spring, Kentucky
“Quality for great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel was very clean and ideally located with a great view. The value I received was also incredible for me stay. The room did smell a little funky when I first arrived, but after running the HVAC the smell was not noticeable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize about the temporary funky smell, but I'm glad to hear it went away. I hope you come and see us again soon!

663 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Lutz, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just stayed here for the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, and despite the fact that the hotel was probably overwhelmed by the race teams and fans, they provided excellent service. The hotel went above and beyond to compensate Diamond HHonors members for the fact that the lounge was closed for two days due to private events... free drinks and appetizers (or dessert) at the bar, and free full breakfast at the hotel's restaurant "Tangerine." The service at breakfast was excellent, attentive and fast. I really enjoy staying her for the race!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, race week is hectic but fun! We hope to see you next year!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I've stayed at the Hilton St. Pete Bayfront on at least 12 different occasions over the past two years and I can say that I am consistently underwhelmed. It is not the worst hotel that you'll stay at, but it is tired and really needs some significant improvements to the rooms. While the lobby might look fresh and inviting, the modern, sleek atmosphere ends there.

My biggest complaint is the rooms themselves. They appear old and, again, tired. The furniture looks worn and used and I've consistently had issues with power plugs - especially those that are integrated into the lamps. On more than one occasion in different rooms, they have sparked when I tried to remove my plugs. The bathrooms can be minuscule - small enough that you need to shut the door in order to utilize the vanity. While there might be small slab of ugly brown/beige granite on the vanity, the overall bathroom facilities are old and are in desperate need up an update. On more than one occasion, hot water was completely absent, although the issue was resolved quickly.

Equally as bad is the mole and mildew small in the rooms - particularly when the air conditioning is on. This gets very bad in the spring and summer and, as you can see from other reviews, I'm not the only person who detects this. It has gotten so bad, that I rarely stay here during the warm months.

The restaurant on the ground floor does serve a good breakfast to order and the buffet is pretty good. Service here is always attentive and pleasant. Room service is quick, but I find the quality and attention to detail to be severely lacking. Overall, I do find the staff to be very helpful and polite.

Also be warned that there have been a couple of times that their parking has filled up and we were forced to find alternative parking. This can be a real pain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your patronage sir, and please note that we are in the process of renovating all of our rooms to make them more modern and inviting. I am sorry about the issues you have experienced, but know we are working hard everyday to improve upon those areas.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

You're gonna love John, the concierge in the parlor suite lounge. He learns guests' names, then generates personalized poetry about them on the fly. A sweet, endearing man you'll remember for a long time. .

Room Tip: Request upper level, bayside for a spectacular view of the museum, theater, airport, and bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, John is great!
fjosephp
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was my worst hotel stay in the last 5 years and I stay in a lot of hotels. The lobby appears fine and inviting. It all ends there. There is a serious mold and mildew problem. The rooms stink terribly so much so that I had trouble sleeping. I woke up in the middle of the night stuffed up from the mold. Everyone in our party (4 people) all complained about the horrendous smell. The water in the showers even smelled like sulfur. I don't know what to say other than this is a horrible hotel with a serious mold infestation problem that needs to be addressed. Stay away.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel that doesnt smell like mold.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Being a property on the water, we do experience problems with mold and mildew, and we are constantly working to remove it and prevent it. I am sorry you experienced what you did, but those one or two rooms are not indicative of our entire hotel. I hope you come and see us again soon.
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a total of six nights. It was average. Our first night they had overbooked the rooms and had to send the people in front of us in line, to another hotel, but the staff was very apologetic and friendly. When we checked in that first night, our carpeting near the bathroom was wet, the room was damp feeling and it smelled like paint or some other chemical, but because we knew that there wasn't anything else available and it was 11:30 pm, we dealt with it. When we got up in the morning it was still damp, but tolerable. The rest of the trip the room was always damp feeling. Unfortunately we never said anything to the management, which we regret doing. The hotel is also in a quite expensive location with little choice for an inexpensive meal. On the plus side, it is close to the pier as well as 175 which takes you to the Gulf beaches. The rooms are a decent size for 2 people and the beds are comfortable. The layout could use some improvement as well as the amount and placement of outlets. Overall, this hotel was fine, the staff was friendly, and it felt clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your response, and I am very sorry for you room condition. We work hard to make sure things like that don't happen, so please accept our apologies and know we are working to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed at Hilton Bayfront in St. Petersburg and was disappointed with both the quality of the hotel and service.

My biggest issue with the property was that it had a musty/moldy smell you sometimes find in humid locations that don't stay on top of it.

Although there were some bright spots, I found the service to be lacking and it left me with the impression that it was poorly run. I arrived on a Sunday and the computer system used for checking in/out guest was not working. Clearly this is going to be disruptive to both staff and guests. But given the problems started the day before I would have expected them to 1) figure out a temporary system to get people in and out and 2) had more staff on hand to help move things along. If they did either of those items it was not at all obvious to me.

After waiting awhile in line I was checked in and was fortunate enough to get a room assigned to me immediately. I went up to my room to unpack. About 30 minutes later a couple let themselves in to my room which had just been assigned to them. Fortunately they were nice enough about it and went back to the front desk to get another room. I called down to the front desk to let them know what happened. I left my room and came back about an hour later only to find my electronic room key card did not work. I went down to the front desk and told them. They fixed it and noted it probably got erased when they assigned the other couple my room. It would have been nice if they pointed that out when I called.

Because the computer system was not working they could not apply room-service or meals from the on-site restaurant to the bill. I kept copies of my bills just in case. It also meant that I could not sign into the complimentary wireless which required they system to recognize my room assignment. I had to go to the front desk and ask about it (mind you this is my third time back with long lines each time) to get the password for free access. It would have been nice if they provided that at check in.

The computer was down for several days and I think it came up late in the day on Tuesday. I was scheduled to check out Wednesday and asked for a later check out. Wednesday morning the bill that was put under my door was incorrect - wrong dates on the bill and my meals did not appear on the bill. I was on business travel and this all needed to be correct before I left. And I knew I would be rushing at checkout time so I went to the front desk in the morning to ask for it to be fixed. They pulled up my room, I pointed out the problems, they commented that I was checking out late and then said the items on the bill would be fixed prior to my late checkout. I went to my meetings and when I went back to my room the key once again did not work. So I went back down to the front desk to have my key reactivated. They said it was automatically turned off at normal check out time. I pointed out that I had a late checkout which was discussed when I stopped by earlier that day. Again, I would have expected them to extend the room key since they acknowledge the late check in.

Surprise surprise, when it came time for check out the bill was not corrected. I had to wait for them to get it fixed and reprinted. For some reason only one computer at the check in counter had a printer so I had to wait until the staff member using that printer to check someone in was done to print out my bill twice (once for the initial one and once for the corrected one).

Throughout all of this I never really got any apologies for the inconveniences or even a thank you for pointing out things they neglected to put on the bill. It is easy to imagine that the computers being down was very disruptive so many I caught them in an a-typically bad scenario. But they way things were handled with such poor customer orientation leave me with my conclusion that the property is just not well managed.

Finally, one note on the food: staff was great quality was mediocre.

All in all I would not stay here again even if someone else was paying for it. And I will certainly continue to avoid Hilton properties in general.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I am very sorry about the quality of your stay. The Hilton reservations system has been experiencing difficulties over the last week or so and has made our jobs much harder. There really is not a back up plan for this situation, because it has never happened before and there are no other systems we use. When its down, its down. We did however go back to the old school method of manually checking and clearing rooms as vacant and ready. Unfortunately this process takes time and therefore caused our front desk to fall behind slightly, this would also account for the slip up of giving your room to another guest. I understand your frustrations but please understand this is a very trying time for us, and does not reflect the way we operate under managable circumstances. Come back and give us another try, I can assure it will be different.

Been to Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront? Share your experiences!