“A concierge you'll remember” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Florida Resident Rate
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
“A concierge you'll remember”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

You're gonna love John, the concierge in the parlor suite lounge. He learns guests' names, then generates personalized poetry about them on the fly. A sweet, endearing man you'll remember for a long time. .

Room Tip: Request upper level, bayside for a spectacular view of the museum, theater, airport, and bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, John is great!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
fjosephp
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was my worst hotel stay in the last 5 years and I stay in a lot of hotels. The lobby appears fine and inviting. It all ends there. There is a serious mold and mildew problem. The rooms stink terribly so much so that I had trouble sleeping. I woke up in the middle of the night stuffed up from the mold. Everyone in our party (4 people) all complained about the horrendous smell. The water in the showers even smelled like sulfur. I don't know what to say other than this is a horrible hotel with a serious mold infestation problem that needs to be addressed. Stay away.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel that doesnt smell like mold.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Being a property on the water, we do experience problems with mold and mildew, and we are constantly working to remove it and prevent it. I am sorry you experienced what you did, but those one or two rooms are not indicative of our entire hotel. I hope you come and see us again soon.
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a total of six nights. It was average. Our first night they had overbooked the rooms and had to send the people in front of us in line, to another hotel, but the staff was very apologetic and friendly. When we checked in that first night, our carpeting near the bathroom was wet, the room was damp feeling and it smelled like paint or some other chemical, but because we knew that there wasn't anything else available and it was 11:30 pm, we dealt with it. When we got up in the morning it was still damp, but tolerable. The rest of the trip the room was always damp feeling. Unfortunately we never said anything to the management, which we regret doing. The hotel is also in a quite expensive location with little choice for an inexpensive meal. On the plus side, it is close to the pier as well as 175 which takes you to the Gulf beaches. The rooms are a decent size for 2 people and the beds are comfortable. The layout could use some improvement as well as the amount and placement of outlets. Overall, this hotel was fine, the staff was friendly, and it felt clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your response, and I am very sorry for you room condition. We work hard to make sure things like that don't happen, so please accept our apologies and know we are working to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed at Hilton Bayfront in St. Petersburg and was disappointed with both the quality of the hotel and service.

My biggest issue with the property was that it had a musty/moldy smell you sometimes find in humid locations that don't stay on top of it.

Although there were some bright spots, I found the service to be lacking and it left me with the impression that it was poorly run. I arrived on a Sunday and the computer system used for checking in/out guest was not working. Clearly this is going to be disruptive to both staff and guests. But given the problems started the day before I would have expected them to 1) figure out a temporary system to get people in and out and 2) had more staff on hand to help move things along. If they did either of those items it was not at all obvious to me.

After waiting awhile in line I was checked in and was fortunate enough to get a room assigned to me immediately. I went up to my room to unpack. About 30 minutes later a couple let themselves in to my room which had just been assigned to them. Fortunately they were nice enough about it and went back to the front desk to get another room. I called down to the front desk to let them know what happened. I left my room and came back about an hour later only to find my electronic room key card did not work. I went down to the front desk and told them. They fixed it and noted it probably got erased when they assigned the other couple my room. It would have been nice if they pointed that out when I called.

Because the computer system was not working they could not apply room-service or meals from the on-site restaurant to the bill. I kept copies of my bills just in case. It also meant that I could not sign into the complimentary wireless which required they system to recognize my room assignment. I had to go to the front desk and ask about it (mind you this is my third time back with long lines each time) to get the password for free access. It would have been nice if they provided that at check in.

The computer was down for several days and I think it came up late in the day on Tuesday. I was scheduled to check out Wednesday and asked for a later check out. Wednesday morning the bill that was put under my door was incorrect - wrong dates on the bill and my meals did not appear on the bill. I was on business travel and this all needed to be correct before I left. And I knew I would be rushing at checkout time so I went to the front desk in the morning to ask for it to be fixed. They pulled up my room, I pointed out the problems, they commented that I was checking out late and then said the items on the bill would be fixed prior to my late checkout. I went to my meetings and when I went back to my room the key once again did not work. So I went back down to the front desk to have my key reactivated. They said it was automatically turned off at normal check out time. I pointed out that I had a late checkout which was discussed when I stopped by earlier that day. Again, I would have expected them to extend the room key since they acknowledge the late check in.

Surprise surprise, when it came time for check out the bill was not corrected. I had to wait for them to get it fixed and reprinted. For some reason only one computer at the check in counter had a printer so I had to wait until the staff member using that printer to check someone in was done to print out my bill twice (once for the initial one and once for the corrected one).

Throughout all of this I never really got any apologies for the inconveniences or even a thank you for pointing out things they neglected to put on the bill. It is easy to imagine that the computers being down was very disruptive so many I caught them in an a-typically bad scenario. But they way things were handled with such poor customer orientation leave me with my conclusion that the property is just not well managed.

Finally, one note on the food: staff was great quality was mediocre.

All in all I would not stay here again even if someone else was paying for it. And I will certainly continue to avoid Hilton properties in general.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I am very sorry about the quality of your stay. The Hilton reservations system has been experiencing difficulties over the last week or so and has made our jobs much harder. There really is not a back up plan for this situation, because it has never happened before and there are no other systems we use. When its down, its down. We did however go back to the old school method of manually checking and clearing rooms as vacant and ready. Unfortunately this process takes time and therefore caused our front desk to fall behind slightly, this would also account for the slip up of giving your room to another guest. I understand your frustrations but please understand this is a very trying time for us, and does not reflect the way we operate under managable circumstances. Come back and give us another try, I can assure it will be different.
Clinton, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This Hotel is alright for a short stay. Room was smaller than I like. The hotel has been around for a while but it’s very clean!!! The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. The upper floors have the better view of the waterfront. The property is within walking distance to St. Petersburg Yacht Club. There was a charge for self-park but it’s over priced. I’ll be honest I’ve received a whole lot better accommodations from the Hilton brand at other locations. This property is not one of their better facilities. The property needs a face lift, better hallway and room lighting, updated shower systems, etc. The stay was not all bad; I real found the downtown area an easy walk from the hotel. There were several good restaurants and shops to enjoy. The food and service at 400 Beach Seafood and Tap House was awesome! Ask for Carlos he’ll take excellent care of you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the response, we are an older faciltiy so there are issues that come with age. To combat theses issues we have started a remodeling process that will see all 330 of our rooms transformed into more moderrn and accomodating units. I hope you come and see our progress soon!
Potsdam, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed at this property about every year now for over five years. it is a wonderful location, so near the Dali Museum, shops and restaurants in downtown. It was unexpected, because our plans changed and we ended up with a free night, so we visited. As it turns out, somewhere on our trip in Florida we picked up the norovirus, and by the time we returned to the hotel we were deathly ill. Vomiting and diarrhea. Room service brought ginger ale. Our colleague got us saltines and necessary medications, and we did nothing but stay in that room for nearly 24 hours. Thanks to Hilton Honors we were free to have a late check out, so around 5 PM we mustered up our strength for the cab ride tot he airport. The hotel was lovely, comfortable, and our sick room away from home. We told the desk to be sure to clean the room thoroughly so no one else catches the malady from us. One never knows where we picked it up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
So happy you are feeling better, come and see us again when you can truly experience our city and property.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

There were so many "failures to follow through" during our recent five-night stay (Tuesday-Sunday) that lack of oversight and training by management seems the most likely culprit. Time and again staff said the right things, but nothing happened. If you don't read through to the end, here's the takeaway: this hotel warrants as high as a below average rating only because a number of genuinely friendly and capable people partially offset the greater number of technical, mechanical, and staff failures.
Good experiences: Concierge (Monique), Bellmen (Fitzroy and Damian), and Tangerine restaurant (Ryan). Inadequate service at front desk with people just going through the motions (Jordan and others). Annoying experiences: room keys de-magnetized on their own six times (no, they were not near our cell phones and yes, the front desk said this happens all the time).
On Thursday night I went to the front desk to request in person that we get a wake-up call next morning. Next morning, no call. On Saturday night, I went to the front desk to request another wake-up call for an early memorial service Sunday morning; I spoke face to face with Charles who assured me that this time I'd be called; returning to my room, I called the operator to confirm that my wake-up call was set and Amanda assured me it was. Sunday morning, no wake-up call. I arrived at the memorial service late.
We had trouble with our toilet running on and on. I knew that it was a faulty stopper, so the first several times it ran on, I fixed it myself by pushing it down inside the tank. Then I figured, the hotel should act. I called for maintenance to fix the toilet on Thursday; after five hours someone came while we were momentarily away but failed to fix it. Next day I fixed it again myself. On Saturday, I called the operator to relay all these details and she called Engineering; a friendly and capable person came to our room and fixed the toilet, which was now the fourth day of our five day stay. Room service requested at 7:00 arrived at 7:40; no explanation. The list goes on. Most troubling is that staff members did not ask us about our stay during the days there and did not apologize for failures in maintenance, wake up calls, room service. There was little attention to detail and no follow through. I wonder if this will remain a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I am very sorry about everything that was dissatisfactory with your stay. I can assure you that we are addressing the issues you brought forth and are working everyday to make our property more accommodating. Thank you for your review and I hope you decide to try us again soon.

Been to Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront? Share your experiences!