“Blessings” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
Potsdam, New York
“Blessings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed at this property about every year now for over five years. it is a wonderful location, so near the Dali Museum, shops and restaurants in downtown. It was unexpected, because our plans changed and we ended up with a free night, so we visited. As it turns out, somewhere on our trip in Florida we picked up the norovirus, and by the time we returned to the hotel we were deathly ill. Vomiting and diarrhea. Room service brought ginger ale. Our colleague got us saltines and necessary medications, and we did nothing but stay in that room for nearly 24 hours. Thanks to Hilton Honors we were free to have a late check out, so around 5 PM we mustered up our strength for the cab ride tot he airport. The hotel was lovely, comfortable, and our sick room away from home. We told the desk to be sure to clean the room thoroughly so no one else catches the malady from us. One never knows where we picked it up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
So happy you are feeling better, come and see us again when you can truly experience our city and property.

645 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

There were so many "failures to follow through" during our recent five-night stay (Tuesday-Sunday) that lack of oversight and training by management seems the most likely culprit. Time and again staff said the right things, but nothing happened. If you don't read through to the end, here's the takeaway: this hotel warrants as high as a below average rating only because a number of genuinely friendly and capable people partially offset the greater number of technical, mechanical, and staff failures.
Good experiences: Concierge (Monique), Bellmen (Fitzroy and Damian), and Tangerine restaurant (Ryan). Inadequate service at front desk with people just going through the motions (Jordan and others). Annoying experiences: room keys de-magnetized on their own six times (no, they were not near our cell phones and yes, the front desk said this happens all the time).
On Thursday night I went to the front desk to request in person that we get a wake-up call next morning. Next morning, no call. On Saturday night, I went to the front desk to request another wake-up call for an early memorial service Sunday morning; I spoke face to face with Charles who assured me that this time I'd be called; returning to my room, I called the operator to confirm that my wake-up call was set and Amanda assured me it was. Sunday morning, no wake-up call. I arrived at the memorial service late.
We had trouble with our toilet running on and on. I knew that it was a faulty stopper, so the first several times it ran on, I fixed it myself by pushing it down inside the tank. Then I figured, the hotel should act. I called for maintenance to fix the toilet on Thursday; after five hours someone came while we were momentarily away but failed to fix it. Next day I fixed it again myself. On Saturday, I called the operator to relay all these details and she called Engineering; a friendly and capable person came to our room and fixed the toilet, which was now the fourth day of our five day stay. Room service requested at 7:00 arrived at 7:40; no explanation. The list goes on. Most troubling is that staff members did not ask us about our stay during the days there and did not apologize for failures in maintenance, wake up calls, room service. There was little attention to detail and no follow through. I wonder if this will remain a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I am very sorry about everything that was dissatisfactory with your stay. I can assure you that we are addressing the issues you brought forth and are working everyday to make our property more accommodating. Thank you for your review and I hope you decide to try us again soon.
Lakeside, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

A beautiful hotel close to beautiful views and convenient to the best of St. Pete. However, my room smelled musty. The top of the clock radio came off. The bathroom was tiny and the water pressure in the shower was unacceptable. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was friendly and on the case. The old bartender that was there was great even if the drinks were quite expensive.

Room Tip: Ask that they don't put you in a room right next to the elevator banks. They are very noisy--esp...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, we are currently renovating our rooms to make them more modern and accommodating. Please come and see us again soon.
Mastic Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We love to travel with our dog and go to see live shows. Our weekend in St. Pete was awesome. We were within walking distance to Jannus Live, where we went to see The Dropkick Murphy's show. After the show we did a walking tour of the pubs n hotspots. The dog park is just past the Vinoy and we made it there three times. The location of this Hilton makes it the best choice for us when we're in St. Pete. The fluffy pillows, king sized bed, and huge screen TV made it so comfy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review, we hope to see you two and the pup again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I spent two nights at this property while attending a meeting in St. Petersburg. I thought the hotel was expensive for the quality of the facility. It is an older hotel, and while clean, it is showing it's age. As a Hilton Diamond member I was able to access the concierge lounge which I thought was a pretty nice set-up and had the best view of the Bay. All the team members working in the lounge were very friendly.
As is typical for older Hilton's the bathroom is tiny and lacks adequate counter space. Had my wife been with me we would have had to stash bathroom articles in the room.
The location is within walking distance of many restaurants, the Dali museum, and the minor league ballpark.
The exercise room has a decent amount of equipment but fills up quickly early in the morning.
While I did not use the pool it is nothing special as it sits next to the parking lot.
Self Parking will set you back $14.
Overall it is an OK place for a short business trip, but I think it would be an expensive disappointment for a family stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
We appreciate your feedback, and are working to make our hotel better everyday. We face a lot of issues because of the age our property but renovations are currently in progress to increase efficiency and connectivity in our rooms. We hope you return to see our progress sometime soon.
venice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

A great clean room. This hotel is the PERFECT location that was within walking distance to main st. pete nightlife!! Club Push about a block away. Starbucks on the South corner of the Hotel (but not affiliated). Bartender friendly: at close he served one more drink while there were still others sitting at the bar. Hilton Honors members = free wi-fi---a must!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us, come back soon!
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I spent a week here on business in February 2013. First, the staff could not be friendlier, but the hotel is very dated, and the rooms have obviously not been updated in decades--everything is a bland, dingy brown. Also, in the first room I had - the tub did not drain (gross) and the AC did not work properly. There are also only a few electrical outlets in every room, so there are extension cords everywhere--again, very dated. The last straw was that the computer in the business center was not functioning, and I could not print out boarding passes. Overall, the hotel is well-below Hilton standards I am used to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your comments about our staff and service and apologize for the inconvenience our hotel accommodations caused. Truth is we are an older hotel, and it gives us many challenges but we work through them to provide a great stay for all. We currently are in the process of renovating all 330 rooms, making them more modern and more convenient. We hope you come back again soon to see our progress.

Been to Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront? Share your experiences!