“Great staff but very dated hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Play Ball Package
Ranked #13 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Washington, DC
“Great staff but very dated hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I spent a week here on business in February 2013. First, the staff could not be friendlier, but the hotel is very dated, and the rooms have obviously not been updated in decades--everything is a bland, dingy brown. Also, in the first room I had - the tub did not drain (gross) and the AC did not work properly. There are also only a few electrical outlets in every room, so there are extension cords everywhere--again, very dated. The last straw was that the computer in the business center was not functioning, and I could not print out boarding passes. Overall, the hotel is well-below Hilton standards I am used to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
We appreciate your comments about our staff and service and apologize for the inconvenience our hotel accommodations caused. Truth is we are an older hotel, and it gives us many challenges but we work through them to provide a great stay for all. We currently are in the process of renovating all 330 rooms, making them more modern and more convenient. We hope you come back again soon to see our progress.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Nothing horrible about this hotel but nothing special either. The location is great... can't argue with that. Close to museums and the water... although the "bayfront" in the name refers to a street or an area and not that the hotel is right in front of any bay. None of the rooms are facing the water and its a couple blocks in to the bay.

To add to the florida-ness of the lobby, they pump orange scents through the air conditioning. Good thought, but it smells a bit more like a chemically mix of orange toilet cleaner than it does fresh oranges.

Service was just OK. We had some issues getting the room we requested and not a lot of responsiveness from the hotel staff or managers until our 3rd day (about 15 hours before we were going to checkout from our 4-day trip). The front desk and concierge was actually kind of rude to my wife the first time around!

Net Net, not a horrible place if you can find a good rate, but if you're coming to Florida for a beach vacation I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for assisting us to improve future guests’ experiences. We regret to hear that we did not live up to your expectations and apologize for the inconvenience. We pride ourselves on our very friendly and helpful staff, so we are very sorry that we were unable to provide you with the quality service and hospitality you deserved. We're sharing your feedback with our team so we can address your concerns and improve our levels of service. We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to St. Petersburg, very soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our room was acceptable, but the A/C was nearly inoperable, with our room being tolerable in temperature, at best. The front desk sent a "repairman" to inspect the A/C; his card indicated that it was putting out 54 degrees! What a JOKE! If it had ever gotten nearly that cold in the room, we would have been freezing!

Far worse, though, was hearing water constantly dripping at night. My OWN inspection (I removed the wall intake grille), revealed that the inside coil and drip pan were full of dirt, dust, rust and MOLD! We again informed a lady at the front desk, but nothing was ever done. Sure, they offered to move us to another room (after we were completely unpacked, of course), but why would another room be any better? This place is in SEVERE need of a remodel; at least the A/C units are!

We awoke each morning with terrible congestion and sneezing fits. After an hour of being out of the room later each morning, we both felt substantially better.

I realize that this nasty A/C is not nearly as dangerous as allowing toxic tobacco smoke in the hotel, but we would never return and will be asking for a partial refund.

Room Tip: Check the A/C system first!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mason G, I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this issue to me and allowing me to follow up with our front office and maintenance departments. The comfort, health and security of our guests is always a top concern. The mold experience you encountered is not typical nor tolerated. Please rest assured we've addressed the problem and will take the necessary steps to ensure such instances do not occur again. We're also working with our engineers to test the thermostats' temperatures in each room, ensuring that you and future guests are comfortable. It would be a pleasure to serve you again. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience and ask that you contact me directly.
Kind regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Easy walk to St. Pete. Pier and restaurants, spacious rooms, great view, accommodating staff. Easy street parking. Overall nice experience......................................................................................................

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice words, we hope to see you again soon!
fitchburg, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very first thing you notice when you walk in is the incredible wonderful smell that is making you so happy that you are staying there! Not to mention the strawberry and orange water that is so fantastic when you're a bit parched due to the heat! I'm a bit of a diva, but absolutely adored my stay at this hotel. Perfect for a partner who is there with their significant other on a conference as there is so much to offer. Starbucks in residence, thank you! Nice pool waiting for you just to hang out, and wonderful rooms, high thread count sheets, and so close to really great restaurants. Cannot say enough about the staff as well. Thank you Hilton, you made my stay in St Pete's awesome! And only about 8 miles to the beach which I did every morning for a long walk. Let's just say the hotels on the beach are pretty bad, so it's def worth staying on the bayfront, for sure at the Hilton. Just loved it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so happy you enjoyed your time with us, and we look forward to you staying with us in the future.
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in many Hilton hotels snd this has bern the worst. The rooms look and feel old. I stayed two nights but I had to call to have my room made after the first night. For what you get it is way overpriced.

• Stayed February 2013
We are very sorry for the rooms not meeting your standard, we are currently in the process of remodeling all 330 rooms to be more modern and convienient. I apologize as well for the slowness of our staff to have your room cleaned, this is not a typical problem so I am very sorry you had to experience it. I hope you come back and see our room improvements soon!

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business. Overall the hotel was good, my view of the bay sucked even though they say all rooms can see the bay. Room service was amazing and the food was always great! I also had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and that was also delicious. Even though the hotel is downtown, it really isn't close to anything walking distance wise and that was disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013
Jared B, Journey Ambassador at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I am sorry if our room descriptions are misleading, because of our location some buildings do block portions of views from our rooms. I am happy you enjoyed the food at our restaraunt and our lounge, but I will have to disagree about our location and its proximity to places of interest. Our hotel is located just 2 blocks from Central avenue with lots of shopping and great restaurants to choose from, we also have many fine museums all within walking distance of the property and also our famous pier with great food, and great views. Maybe we didn't assist you properly with finding these locations and if so I apologize, please come back and let us provide you with a true St. Petersburg experience.

Been to Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront? Share your experiences!