We just stayed at the Hilton Bayfront in St Pete and were under-impressed with the hotel itself.
The good: Location. Just a few blocks from the Pier and right smack in the cultural, artsy downtown area near the Beach Drive shopping district, with art galleries and restaurants very close-by. You can literally walk across the street to the Mahaffey Theater and the Dali Museum. There is always something cultural going on during the weekends in this area of St Pete. The hotel also has an outdoor pool and a small bar for drinks at night. This is a dog friendly hotel, so you will see dogs lounging around.. There is also a Starbucks right in the hotel, which is great. And, the room itself was very big and spacious- but now more about this room-
The not so impressive: The hotel had the "stuck in the 90's" feel. The popcorn ceiling in the room screamed "update me!". The carpet was filthy, it had the kind of dirt and stains that can only be cleaned by carpet replacement. The bathroom in the room was by far one of the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel of any kind. It was like a small closet with a sink and shower crammed in. Room for one only in the bathroom. This is surprising, because the room itself is very big and spacious- they really should take some space from the room and enlarge the bathrooms. That would be a very good thing to do.
The air conditioner intake vent in the room was by the curtains and the a/c vent kept sucking in the curtain, restricting air flow. I don't think the a/c worked, even when the curtain wasn't being sucked into the intake vent. It was always warm and muggy even with the a/c set at 65 degrees..
The curtains were old and dusty, especially in the lobby sitting area. You could tell maybe 20 or 30 years ago everything looked nice and elegant, but nothing has been done since to clean or update. I heard someone say "I feel like I'm in a cloud of germs when I came into this hotel", and I have to agree. Even the smell in the lobby was kind of gross- like bathroom cleaner or something. Maybe because of the dogs?
New carpet, curtains and paint- needed now.
There was a restaurant on-site, but very limited and overpriced selections. Why would you eat at the hotel anyway when there are great dining options nearby like Columbia's Restaurant at The Pier? You gotta try this landmark. Seriously -1905 salad-need I say more?
All in all, the hotel is in a great location, but looked neglected.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront hotel is located in the waterfront district of downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. Our legendary Hilton hospitality invites you to join us on business or pleasure in our world class hotel accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront Hotel St. Petersburg
- Hilton Hotel St Petersburg
- Hilton Saint Petersburg
- Saint Petersburg Hilton