“Good location, great staff, but a bit "tired"” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Florida Resident Rate
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
East KY
“Good location, great staff, but a bit "tired"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here several nights for a conference, and all in all it is a good hotel. All the staff members I met were extremely pleasant and helpful. I was upgraded to the Alcove suite on 15, and when the air clicked off I realized the rumbling of the elevators was going to be a big problem. I moved to the room across the hall which had a wonderful view, but as others have noted about the rest of the hotel, it needed an update. No valet parking, but the surface lot was convenient and priced right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Hilton Bayfront St Petersberg sits just to the South of downtown St Petersberg. Convenient to downtown, by short walk, ample parking in lot ($12/night) and on the street (free). The hotel itself is clean but could use a bit of a face lift. There is an outdoor pool but no indoor pool, and to get to the outdoor pool one walks towards the parking lot :( Staff friendly and helpful, I had issues with key not working and internet, and staff was very prompt in providing assistance both times.

Chicopee, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I travel frequently due to my job. I only stay at Hilton Brand Hotels and acquired enough points to stay at this hotel while on vacation with my Husband. We stayed in Orlando at a Hilton Resort for 3 days then came to St. Pete for the remainder of our trip this past week.

First the positive:
- John in the Executive Lounge was great! He was friendly, accommodating and made us feel welcome while we waited for our room to be ready. He has been with this Hilton for 14 years and loves his job. He is definitely an asset to this company.

- The staff at the check in counter was very receptive, friendly, and professional. They brought our room keys to us in the Executive Lounge when our room was ready.

Now the negative:

- Check In: We attempted to check in early, around 1:30pm but were told our room wasn't ready. I completely understood and the nice clerk provided us a card to access parking and told me she would call me on my cell when our room was ready. We went to the Pier to kill some time and came back to the hotel around 4:00. We never received a phone call. Keep in mind that check-in time is 3:00 pm. Our room still wasn't ready, we were told that it was being inspected, at which time the manager provided us access to the Executive Lounge so we could wait up there. We waited for approximately 1 ½ hours before our room was ready.

- Room: When we got into our room, the first thing I noticed when I went into the bathroom was a big clump of dark hair stuck onto the wall of the shower. There was no way to miss this as it was staring at me as soon as I walked in. Additionally, there was no bath mat left for our use to step out of the shower. The personnel who cleaned and the person who inspected this room clearly need to some training in attention to detail.

- Housekeeping Service: The next day, we were out of our room around 10 am and did not return until 4:30 pm. Our room had not been cleaned yet. Around 4:45, as we were getting changed to go out for the evening, the housekeeper knocked on our door. Since we weren’t going to be leaving until about 5:30, I asked if she could come back in about an hour. She said she couldn’t come back. I was dumbfounded by her response mainly because I couldn’t believe it was so late in the day and our room wasn’t clean. My Husband came to the door and asked for clean towels and shampoo.

- Housekeeping Service Hours: The following day, I made sure to contact the front desk to ask when housekeeping would come by to ensure that our room didn’t get missed a second time. I was very surprised to find out that the staff there cleans rooms from 9 am until 5:30 pm. That seems awful late to be cleaning rooms considering most guests go out for the majority of the day, which allows for the staff to clean the room during their absence. This is the first time in all my travels I have come back to a room that had not been cleaned yet. If rooms are being cleaned that late in the day, perhaps it’s time to hire more staff.

- Alcove Suite: We got the Alcove Suite, however, were not informed that these suites are located right next to the elevators. We heard the sound of the all the elevators running all evening and in the middle of the night while trying to sleep. I have been in similar suites in other Hilton hotels that are located at the end of the halls. I was surprised by the location of this one. I believe this information should be disclosed at check in and an option provided for relocation if the guest chooses. I didn’t pursue the change because per the interaction with the clerk, they were booked.

- Pool & Spa: The website advertises a “heated” outdoor pool and whirlpool spa. The pool was not heated and the water was too cold to swim in, although we did see a few people in the pool. The Whirlpool Spa was not working. It was heated, though. I called the front desk to ask if there was a turn on switch for the whirlpool but was told that the jets were broken by previous guests a couple weeks prior and that it had not been repaired yet because they were trying to locate parts. There were no signs posted or information provided during check in. Additionally, it was dirty but people still sat in it because it was warm and the pool was too cold to hang out in.

- TV Selection: The TVs were nice, however, when it came to HBO, only HBO Family channel was available. This seemed strange to me so I called the front desk and asked if this was accurate. I was told by the manager that it was and that she just recently found out that only HBO Family channel was available and would be checking into the reason for that. It just didn’t make sense that a hotel that accommodates so many business personnel and conferences would only have an HBO channel that is geared towards children.

Summary: It is not my intent to ‘slam’ this Hilton. My experiences with the various Hilton Brand Hotels have been very positive so naturally I am going to expect consistency at this hotel. It is what creates return clients, me being one of them. Most of my stays at these hotels are on business and I encounter very few issues. I didn’t go to the management to complain during this stay was because I was on vacation and wanted focus on what my Husband and I were doing while not at the hotel. The couple of times I did call the front desk, not to complain, but to address any specific issue, it seemed as if they were trained to say what they needed to say just to get off the phone. Additionally, it wasn’t until I returned home that I realized the number of issues/inconsistencies we experienced during our overall stay. My Husband believes that perhaps we were not treated the same as the paying guests because we were using Hilton Honor points for our stay. I don’t know if this is true, but I truly hope not. What is my intent is that the GM reads this and becomes aware, if he/she isn’t already, of areas that need attention, correction, or training to bring this hotel up to par with the Hilton brand. My overall stay with this hotel was substandard, and I will not stay at this hotel again, unless it goes through a major room renovation (I concur with other reviews on this site that the rooms are dated, furniture and carpets are old, and the website advertises several things that are inconsistent with what the hotel really provides) and some of the issues listed in my review are addressed and corrected.

Room Tip: Alcove Suites are located next to the elevators and the sound of the elevators running all day and n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel sits in downtown St. Petersburg near the bay. It is across the street from a park and Ballpark and is also near most downtown amenities and buildings. The location is very nice.
The front desk staff was very good: efficient and friendly check in experience. When my first room smelled of tobacco smoke, the front desk clerk quickly changed my room. The front desk clerk also provided a great restaurant recommendation (Ceviche).
The room was fine. Carpet was pretty dingy, bathroom had been remodeled quite nicely. The shower was lousy. Despite good water pressure from the tub spout the Speakman Anystream delivered an anemic dribble. Water temperature was good and consistent.
Bed was nice. Wifi was lousy. Constantly I was bumped and had to re enter my credentials.
Overall it was a pretty mediocre experience. The next time that I am in St. Pete. I will try another property.

• Stayed October 2012
Tallahassee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Upon entering the hotel, don't be surprised about the smell of musty mold in the lobby. After reading the other reviews, I wasn't surprised. The lobby is well kept and clean, however, the mold smell needs addressing. I was a little surprised by the fact that there was only one desk agent at the desk at 6 pm, a typically busy time for check in.

I was greeted by a very nice desk agent, who was overworked trying to answer the phone, and handle all of the guests checking in. Shortly after she was joined by two other agents who assisted her and then disappeared. I asked for a quiet room away from ice machines and elevators, not caring if I had 2 beds or a king, just a quiet room. When I made it to the room, it was right next to the ice machine. Back to the desk I go, off to a new room. Much better. Room has a traditional 80's look with wallpaper border along the ceiling and colonial style furniture, with more modern bedding comfortable bed and a strange large fridge in an odd positio near the desk in the room. Nice large flat screen tv and updated bathroom with newer wall tile, floor and older tub. My Tv didn't work when I first got in the room, after a quick call to the front desk, engineering was at my door within 4 minutes. (fantastic turn around time in my opinion) Tv. was fixed and working in seconds.
No draft beers at the lobby bar, but almost everything in bottle. Restaurant was quick and food was great.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel to attend a conference, and the facilities were excellent for meetings and group meals. The breakfast buffet was excellent, the food generally very good to excellent, and the portions generous. We had a reception with cash bar and the drinks were outrageously overpriced, but that seems to be the norm for these sorts of things.

The downsides: portions of the hotel (some of the main corridors and lobbies in the conference area; my room) had noticeable musty smells so there is probably mold in the air ducts, carpets, or what-have-you. I was given a junior suite with bedroom and sitting room; the bedroom was very musty smelling but I was told that the hotel was full due to the conference, so I didn't ask for another room. Also, the hotel shop selling incidentals and snack items (soft drinks, ice cream, cookies, etc.) was limited in selection and very much overpriced. Fortunately, there is a grocery store and a drugstore less than a block away. Some of the public areas were a little shabby looking, and the Starbucks on site must have THE shortest opening hours of any Starbucks on the planet.

On the upside: the rooms were generously sized, the bathrooms quite nice (marble floors and counter tops), and the rooms had lots of space to work, and came with fridge and coffee/tea service. The bed was quiet confortable, and offered a range of pillows from firm to soft and with down or synthetic filling. The staff were friendly and professional, and there is a free shuttle to take visitors to nearby attractions. The gentleman (Eli, I think) who drove a group of us to and from dinner was quite helpful with suggestions on what to see and when was the best time to go to various places. The location is good, lots of interesting restaurants around, and close to the Dali Museum and the Pier.

All in all, it was a nice stay, but those of us who had allergies were in misery by the end of the three-day conference due to stuffy sinuses and itchy eyes, so if you are sensitive to mold, you probably should look for other accommodations.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have nice views of the bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Astor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for a conference and was pleasantly surprised. I stayed a a very similar sister hotel in Barbados over the summer (down to the bedskirts and shower tile) and was much more pleased with this location. The courtesy van took us to The Columbia on the Pier and came when called. There was a Publix within easy walking distance and an empty fridge for snacks. The room was clean clean clean and the bed comfy. There was a decent view of a neighboring building's outside fountain and the bay off to the side. The IRL race goes right by the hotel.
The staff was friendly and helpful, we were not an inconvenience for them (even in the Starbucks). The iced orange and strawberry water in the lobby was refreshing. Someone was always cleaning something.
Nice central location, not in an old people's town anymore! The only down side? The in-room coffee. Bring your own pot, buy one at Publix or stick with tea. Sorry, but it was awful...

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. Elevators were quick. We were on the parking lot side and looked...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront? Share your experiences!