“Better Than Expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
New York, NY
“Better Than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Having been a bit concerned based on some of the reviews posted, my expectations were somewhat lower than usual for a Hilton. It turns out I had no reason for any concerns.

I was here with my daughter and my brother for a family wedding. Check-in was quick, efficient, and the front desk staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Florida oranges and fruit-flavored water were welcome treats.

Location is great, across from the ball park, a few minutes walk to The Dali, and very close to fun shopping and dining in St. Pete.

The lobby is expansive and filled with comfortable places to sit and chat. The bar is what I would call subdued hip, and borders on the lobby for spillover. Elevators were not bad in terms of speed - a bit slower during peak times which is to be expected. The property itself, while showing its age, is very well maintained. Could it do with a face-lift? Sure. Is it imperative? No.

The room was perfectly fine, clean, and a bit bigger than average. Nice big flat screen, plenty of storage space and good working surfaces. Only ding is that I would have preferred two queens instead of two doubles.

There is a regular Starbucks off the meeting space area (i.e. not just a stand selling Starbucks brand coffee). The restaurant had a great menu and a very good buffet for breakfast, both reasonably priced. We wanted a late lunch one day after they had closed but were able to get food to go from the bar - also delicious and well-priced.

The pool is great for a property like this (i.e. not a resort). Very big so people can play and do laps simultaneously. And unlike some hotel pools, it is actually big enough to do some meaningful laps for exercise. Lots of chaise lounge chairs, and bathroom facilities right next to the pool.

Aside from the double versus queen preference, there are two other dings I would give this property - and the reason this review is 4 stars instead of 5. First, the hot tub is just that - a big hot tub. No whirlpool or jacuzzi. Second is that although the parking area is big, it was overcapacity the weekend we were there. Even though we had paid for parking, we came home one evening to find orange cones blocking the entrance to the lot - presumably indicating that it was full - yet no one around to direct us elsewhere (this was NOT very late). We moved the cones, swiped our card key and entered, though the only spot we could find was along one of the aisles which others had done as well - not a legal spot and may have even been against fire code, but again - with no other options or instructions . . . Hate to think of what happened to people who came after us as we took the last of such spots.

Check-out was again, quick, efficient and friendly. All in all, a good stay. We were on a group rate for the wedding we were attending so don't know how the regular rates stack up competitively, but it was an exceptionally good value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

If you're not looking for the beach stay, then this is a good place to stay in Down Town St. Pete.
Decent price, good clean and quiet rooms, not real fancy but nicely appointed and well kept.
Everyone was well groomed, polite and attentive.
Walking distance to the pier, shops, restaurants, bars (check out the Tappas bar around the corner) and the park. Pool gets shaded by larger buildings at different points in the day but you can move to the little veranda over the front entrance.
Not that far to the beach (St. Pete) if you have a car.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has access to the pool, work out room and the veranda sitting areas.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dave P, General Manager at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear tripman2, thanks for your positive review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to be your choice again in the future, Dave Prophet GM
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Can't say anything bad about the hotel itself. Nice rooms. Good location.

BUT, I had issues with this hotel I've never had with another Hilton. So buyer beware. Could be identity theft and not the hotel. Honestly I'm not sure yet.

I booked a reservation online here for three nights. Eventually not needing the first night I called the hotel front desk a couple nights before check-in and was assured, no problem, just check in when on the second of the three days.

I stayed two nights, no problem. Nice stay. On the last day I left the hotel and carried my bill home, not looking at it until four days later. Turns out they charged me for the three nights, not the two I stayed. They said I checked in at 1:30 am the morning of the second day and that they manually swiped my card and charged me for the day before. Unfortunately I was home sleeping at that time and didn't check in until around noon on the second day. Also, the bank said that the card was keyed in and not swiped like the hotel said. Hmmmm....

Needless to say I've cancelled my credit card as something fishy is going on here. And I've had no other odd activity on my card except this stay.

Won't be back.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear PRRecBooks, thanks for your review, I know we have spoken regarding your situation, if I can further assist you in resolving the issue please feel free to contact me,I hope you are able to resolve it without further incident and will visit with us again,Dave Prophet GM
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel we had some problems checking in--they didn't have our reservation. I had booked through Booking.com back in March 2112 for the stay in May 2012. I pulled up the Booking.com confirmation etc. only lap top to show the check in clerk. She had me call Booking.com...they had faxed the reservation to the Hilton in March! Anyway after some unpleasant comments to me about my choice of a reservation service etc. another clerk took over. She proceeded to book the room AND give us free parking, free breakfast, free internet and a kinder attitude. Later we also got free Starbucks coupons and then a free late check out.
So, the hotel is lovely. The lobby is very spacious as was our king size bed room. In the lobby there is a bar, restaurant, Starbucks, a fitness center and spa and a little snack store. Each day they also have ice water flavored with fresh oranges or strawberries. The staff were all super friendly.
The room had a mini fridge, coffee maker and there are Peter Roth toiletries.
My only complaints were a lack of towel racks in the bathroom---the only one is in the shower, and some parking problems when there were two weddings on Sat. night. We had to park at a for pay garage a block away ( but they refunded the money).
there is a nice outdoor pool and the property is nicely landscaped.
The location is great. You can walk to downtown and view games at Energy Field from your hotel window and walk over to the weekly Sat. market. I enjoyed morning walks from the hotel . Also behind the hotel is a little shopping center with a supermarket, take out places, an Italian restaurant and great coffee place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed for a weekend in May and really loved the location of this hotel. The rooms were immaculately clean but didn't seem to be as modern as some HIlton hotels I've stayed at over the years. The service was overall very good.

I was a little disappointed in the breakfast namely the cost for quality. The buffet was disappointing since they didn't serve fresh food the last hour of the buffet. As food ran out, they did not replace it. For the price, items should have been re-filled.

The location was truly excellent. Across the street from a trolley stop or within walking distance. I mainly stayed in St. Petersburg to go to the Dali museum and it was across the street.

I also went to the spa in the hotel and had excellent service and a fantastic massage (ask for Diane).

I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Just stayed for a week on business. Everyone goes out of their way to help, offer advice and be friendly. From the early morning cleanup man who saw me fumbling with my parking pass and ran across the lot to open the gate, to the front desk clerk who offered to take my recycling, every person I met was smiling and professional. Large clean rooms, exceptional view. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Typical Hilton - this hotel is nicely appointed and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. It's an older building, but looks as though it was recently updated. Rooms are quiet, except for hallway noise coming through/under the door. Staff was very freindly and helpful. The only bad experience we had was the parking - when the hotel is very full, the lot can fill up. But otherwise, very nice - and walking distance to the Dali museum. The "Downtown Looper" trolley/tram stops right there, and gives you easy access to other downtown locations.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms had a nice view of downtown and the waterfront (Tampa Bay).
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront? Share your experiences!