“Old World Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Georgia
“Old World Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

We stayed at the Vinoy due to a relative's wedding reception being there. Had I sneezed, I honestly think one of the staff would have wiped my nose. Service was wonderful. A beautiful, beautiful place.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

Let me start by telling you that we have been very impressed with the Marriott brand in the past. We are Reward Members and are owners of a Marriott Vacation Club property. That being said, I was not impressed with the Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club. My husband and I wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been before to celebrate our anniversary and Father's day. I did some research and booked here. A week before our stay I arranged for Champagne and strawberries to be sent to our room at check in and made appointments for a "spa day". I confirmed these arrangements the day of arrival.
Check-In was awkward and the front desk attendent was not friendly, she almost seemed nervous. I mentioned to her about the champagne (even though I had wanted it to be a surprise, I had a feeling that I needed to remind her)...She assured me that it would be sent right up...We waited for several hours and Nothing...Because we had arranged to go wine tasting I called down and asked them to just cancel it... I guess this would be a good time to discuss the room. The floors were damp and the room was stuffy with a strange smell. If we turned the room fan on high it made a very loud ticking sound like an extremely loud timer...(It was very annoying)...The bathtub was very small which was fine with us as we weren't planning to take a bath, however; it was VERY SLOW to drain. You had to shower quickly and then it took about 30 minutes for the water to drain out...The next day was our "spa day" . I was excited and wanted my husband to feel special- "king for the day"...Oh boy were we in for a big surprise! This should not be called a spa. If you have been to a spa before and are looking for a little pampering- Do not waste your time or money! As we checked in, a woman was leaving as the manager was apologizing...This should have been our cue to leave right then...but we stayed. We were escorted to the health club to change and given lockers...The locker room was very dirty and the lockers were filled with dust. There was mold on the ceiling- not a good start...and we were told to walk back to the front when it was time for our massages...When we did the woman at the health club called the spa and then told us to go back to the jacuzzi area and we would be met by our therapists...By this time, our massages should have started 5 minutes ago...I asked her to double check and then she said she was sorry for the confusion and to walk back to the spa...Which is outside and around the corner. We were then taken to our rooms and told to get on the table etc...When my MT came in the room she started discussing the rates with me and asking about our package etc...I had already arranged all of this days ago and asked her if we could worry about this afterwards as my massage was supposed to start some time ago...By the time she started, I was more stressed Not relaxed...OK so the massages were over and my husband was to get a manicure and pedicure- This is when all the craziness started...The nail techs explained that in order to "hurry up and get him out of here", they were going to do his feet and hands at the same time???? Isn't the point to relax and take your time? NOT HERE! Then they started talking about how they were starving and needed to eat ASAP and they marked themselves out so they could leave as soon as they were done. Then the 3 of them congregated around my husbands feet and began to gossip...One said how she needed to wait until Tuesday to break up with her boyfriend...Another was talking about farting and then they began gossiping about people that worked there and how they suspected that a woman (who they did mention her name) was using drugs and how her car broke down in a part of town that she should not have been in etc....I was Speechless and so upset...then the 2nd woman began to work on the manicure...(which my husband has had properly done before) She did not soak his hands, nothing, she was obviously in a hurry and wanted to get done quickly...As she was working on his hands she was wiping her nose and then continuing to touch his hands...By this time, I could see that he was uncomfortable...as he had these women staring at his feet, gossiping and wiping their snot on him- IN A SPA!!!! UNBELIEVABLE! In order to not cause a scene (as there were women getting their hair done for a wedding) I removed myself from the situation and set out to find a manager. I found the manager who was very nice and understanding and listened to the details. She said that she was going to speak with the spa manager and they would deal with the situation. At this point, on Father's day and our 12th anniversary, we wanted to leave and go home...but the manager asked us to stay and they would take care of this situation. That night, we had an absolutely amazing dinner at Marchands (I believe this is the name of it)...We spent about 200.00 on dinner but enjoyed it very much. They have an extensive wine list and the food was perfect. The bartenders were very nice and accomodating as well. We won't be going back and do NOT recommend this hotel but the restaraunt was wonderful! I wish I would have listened to some of the reviews I had read before going because they were very accurate clear down to the people smoking in and around the pool...When we checked out, their idea of "taking care of the situation" was discounting our spa treatments by 50%???? The manager ended up taking the charge off and we still had to spend 55,000 points for our stay... It definately was not worth it and I wish we would have just stayed home and went out to a nice dinner...but hopefully sharing this experience will save someone else from making the same mistake.

• Liked — The history of the hotel. The restaraunt was fabulous!
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

Great Hotel, all amenities you could ever want. Service is tops. Food is excellent. The internet connectivity is $15 per day plus tax. I have never spent so much for something that is free at Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Quality Inn etc. In just two days I spent $33 accessing a slow line to the internet. Real bad value.

• Liked — Well stocked rooms, clenliness, views
  • Disliked — Slow and expensive internet
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Andover, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

The Renaissance Vinoy Resort is a wonderful and unique hotel, and St. Petersburg is a cool little city. We came for a weekend stay, and it is not the first time we have been to the Vinoy. We always receive great service and friendly staff help. Food in Fred's is to die for, and the porch is a great place for a cocktail. I highly recommend the hotel, nice walking distance to restaurants, and stuff to do. The Saturday Morning Market was fun, and all the local activity was great. Waterfront parks wrap for miles along the city's waterfront and we enjoyed taking walks every day. Quiet and sunny room and nice amenities. Enjoy!

• Liked — Location downtown
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mark1946
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

April 26, 2007

Looking for a wedding place?

This is one to avoid: From check in to check out, The Renaissance Vinoy Resort in Saint Petersburg, Florida is awful.

This resort exemplifies the term, beauty is only skin deep. We had my daughters wedding there this April. The cocktail hour, the seafood buffet, and the passed hors d’oeuvres were non-existent (not enough groceries). The seafood buffet was supposed to be for a party of 100, but all we got to see was melting ice. The passed hors d’oeuvres were far and few between. The sit down dinner resembled bad airline food, the Filet Mignon and piece of Grouper were the size of a spoon. The premium brand liquor that we paid for was not premium, the only recognizable brand was Smirnoff, which hasn’t been premium in 100 years. The scotches, and gins were names never heard of.

The next morning we held a continental breakfast at a cost of $25 per head. The continental breakfast was less than what you would expect to get free at any self-respecting Hampton Inn.

Looking for a place to hold a wedding? This is not the place! You do not want the Vinoy, who are supposed to be wedding professionals, to handle such a special and memorable occasion.

My wife and I were totally embarrassed by the food quality and quantity, lack of liquor selection, and service.

The Renaissance Vinoy Resort touts itself as “The Legendary Renaissance Vinoy”, but when it comes down to it, it’s just another Marriott.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here saturday night, April 14, 2007 because a friend of mine was having her wedding reception at the hotel. The property was very nice, and the staff was friendly. Our main complaint was with the food. The food at Alfresco, the casual restaurant at the hotel, is terrible... not only did our lunch order take a full 45 minutes to get to our table (the restaurant was not busy, and we ordered sandwiches), but our sandwiches were not as described -- they were missing several ingredients, as listed on the menu - and more importantly, they were terrible. I hoped the food at the reception, which was at the hotel in the grand ballroom, would be of a different caliber entirely. Unfortunately, the reception menu sounded wonderful on paper, but the food was absolutely terrible. The grouper was served well-done (and tough fish is no one's friend), and everything else was, likewise, horribly prepared. The only good thing was the chocolate fountain, which they apparently were not able to ruin. The next morning, we awoke and headed to the breakfast being served at the hotel for the wedding guests. Not surprising, the food was - once again - subpar. I was very disappointed in the quality of the food at such a nice-looking hotel. They really need a better chef.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2007

This was our first visit to the Tampa Area. We were coming in from Seattle to be with our son who was in St. Pete area for Extended Spring Training /Baseball. We stayed at three properties during our trip and booked all through Priceline. I was excited to see the different properties and compare and contrast rooms, quality of service,etc.

I called and e-mailed before the trip to make requests and share concerns about booking Priceline rather than through the Vinoy website.We are Marriott Rewards members. I spoke to Susan, in reservations to make my requests. I found out who the GM was (Russ Bond).

We checked in on 4/2 . Letitia took care of me.She stood out as the most outstanding of all the people I would encounter during our trip!! She had a great sense of what customer service and hospitality should be.

We had a room in the new tower. It was a nice size and overlooked the tennis courts and a view of the Bay. We had a high floor with a balcony . The rooms are lovely. Housekeeping was terrific.

I went to the Spa and Salon to have my nails done and the girls there were great . We enjoyed the pool and fitness center. My husband really loved the steam room. We dined and had drinks at Alfresco's and also by the pool.

We went into town and dined at Cerviches. This is a Spanish restaurant. Wonderful food and atmosphere. What a find! The area around the hotel was so peaceful. We walked along the Bay in the mornings.We spotted a ball field with a senior team playing.We had such fun checking that out!!! We fell in love with the area.This hotel reminded me of the Hotel Del in San Diego- elegant and rich with history and flavor of the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bath tub
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!