“Excellent hotel for IRL Race” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Celebrate the Savings
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent hotel for IRL Race”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

I stayed at the Vinoy for the IRL (Indy Car) street race. It is an excellent location, right on the water, and within walking distance of the race (nice because downtown parking fills quickly on race weekend). There is also a nice shopping center (Ann Taylor, etc.) with a large movie theater complex, also within walking distance.

The hotel is lovely and historic. I had a large room in the tower with a balcony looking over the bay. The bathroom was larger than my bath at home, and closet space was plentiful. There are several resturants, including informal drinks and dining outside near the pool. (Try the mango daquiri with rum floater.)

The service was very good at the hotel. My only suggestion would be the addition of the Speed channel to the cable TV offerings, considering that this is a race city!

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
marlow uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

My wife and I took a last minute trip to Florida and booked the Vinoy over the web knowing nothing about it other than the description and pictures on the web.
It is an historic building by American standards, 80 years old, but has been added to very sensitively over the years. The rooms are excellent size and quality and the pool area and service by the staff around the pool is of the highest class.
Parking at $10 dollars a day seemed a bit steep for the prices we were paying for the room. Also as we liked it so much we booked to come back for 2 more days at the end of the holiday but received no welcome back, their computer system needs a customer service overhaul, and despite asking at reception specifically not to be near an elevator and being told at reception that the room allocated was not near an elevator on arriving at the room we found it be the nearest room to the elevator! On returning to reception it was sorted out quickly but without any great apology. So overall the hardware is great but the staff service needs a little upgrading for this quality of hotel but we would go back.

Old Town, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2006

This is my favorite hotel in Saint Petersburg that I've so far encountered and have stayed here a number of times. When I need a break from my work life (part of which is based out of my house) this is one of the best places to come. The resort is small enough to find everything easily, but large enough to keep you occupied. From the nice pool, 2 small hot tubs, and fantastic wait staff, to the many things to do in downtown St. Petersburg, it's a fabulous getaway. I generally try to get one of the hot tub rooms, located on the first floor of the newer expansion building. The hot tubs are outside, 2 person, on a private deck and I rarely see anyone next to me or out and about near me when I stay in these rooms, which compliments the privacy. The wait staff in the Terrace Room are fantastic and I can't say enough good things about everyone I've encountered. Truly the Marriott style of service makes this hotel go above and beyond compared to others I've stayed at. Additionally, the architecture is beautiful. The rooms in the main building do have some minor fixes here and there that need pointing out, but overall it's very pleasant and if there's a problem they're always quick to fix.

• Stayed November 2005
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2005

The Vinoy is my home away from home. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We had a room in the tower with a balcony facing the water. What a view!

One problem I have had more than once at this hotel is loud, partying neighbors. On our first night during this stay, our neighbors were partying on their balcony from 2:30am - 5am. I was surprised that security did not hear them yelling about how "wasted" they were and throwing beer bottles over the balcony. I called the front desk at 4:15am and did not hear security come up to the room for at least 20 minutes. What took so long? When I complained to the front desk the next morning she offered to comp the room for that night (after a few minutes) and then sent some snacks to our room.

Other than that, everything was great! We love this place. It has the best Sunday brunch. I will go back there again soon.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2005

When we booked our 5 night stay at the Vinoy, I expected a 5 star hotel, as listed. I had heard that celebrities stay there and was very excited to get a great rate at this "exclusive" "resort". When we checked it, we were upgraded to a king suite (marriott rewards does have it's benefits). We were disappointed in our room, however. The room smelled like stale cigarette smoke (we had been guaranteed a non-smoking room), the furniture was scratched and very dated. It looked like a Motel 6 suite with a bayview. We called down to complain about the stench and they reminded us they upgraded us and basically, we shouldn't be complaining. The next day, following a second complaint, the maid service placed an ionizer machine to freshen the scent. That only worked for about a day though...
and it was back to that disgusting stench...

The resort pool was very disappointing. When I tried to take our 1 year old swimming, they closed off the entrance b/c they just sprayed chemicals on the tile. Now we didn't they think of doing this before or after pool hours???

When we tried to eat breakfast at the Terrace Room, the hostess, seeing that i had a stroller and that there were only stairs to the entrance of the restaurant, did not offer the hidden electronic "lift" device to help us up. She just stood there until another employee (handy man?) showed us the secret door to the lift device. Nice...So, then i asked for a booth, since our baby doesn't like hairchairs in restaurants much and she said there are no booths (i was looking right at one!!!). She continued to walk us over to a regular table, but I asked AGAIN, if we could have a booth, so she sighed and walked us over to the booth. I observed her picking at her nails while talking to customers and while just standing at the hostess station, as well. Not something you normally see at a 5 star resort....

Their continental breakfast served at the promenade lobby is a joke. They charge ala carte---about $4.00 for a tiny bowl of berries. $3.00 for a coffee cake. Ridiculous...And without a car, there are basically no other options for breakfast. All of the surrounding restaurants open for lunch at 11:30am! I was starved almost every morning b/c i refused to pay that much for a bowl of cheerios or berries.

When we checked in (on a sunday) there was complimentary "promenade punch" and cookies. When we came back to the lobby later on in the evening, it was all gone. The check-in clerks told us they only serve the punch on the weekends and only til 4pm. Another couple asked the same question and got the same answer. You'd think with all the money they are making off of us and celebrities, they could have the courtesy of serving some kind of beverage in 100 degree heat upon check-in.

The elevator was being repaired, but there was NO sign stating this on any of the floors (including the lobby). I mentioned this to about 10 employees after i had waited 10 minutes for the elevator to come to our floor and they were all very aware it was being repaired--but NO sign to be seen!
Again--not something you would see at a 5 star resort.

I also had my hair cut at the salon at the resort. After the lady was done, she pulled off the frock and said she was done. She didn't even ask if i liked it or if I wanted more cut, or anything! How disappointing, esp. if you are paying resort prices. I had to stop her and say "i'd like it shorter".

The advantage of staying at this hotel is the location. It is surrounded by manicured parks on the waterfront of old Tampa Bay. The St. Petersburg Pier is within walking distance (although very uncomfy when it's so hot and humid and you are walking with a baby).
Now, maybe if you are 80 years old and are a memeber of their golf club or play tennis at the resort, you would enjoy it more, but we are in our early 30's, have traveled to top resorts in Hawaii, Europe, Aruba We were very disappointed. We generally stay at marriotts everywhere and are generally very pleased with our stays, but this hotel was not up to our standards or 5 star resorts standards at all.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!