“Luxury!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Kansas City, Missouri
“Luxury!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have stayed at several Marriott properties over the years many in Tampa Bay Area but now that we have been to this one I don't know how we can go anywhere else! We had a garden room since the bay view were sold out and even though they offered to move us the next day we stayed with the garden view due to how quiet and comfortable it was. The bed was like heaven we have checked on buying the same it was so good! We ate the breakfast buffet and it was the best we have had for the price.....service was unbelievable .....also ate each night in lobby outside bar and the lobster grilled cheese wonderful. The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was excellent. The hotel itself is very old and has been renovated, they offer a tour to explain history but was not offered on days we were there so will catch next time. The rooms can be pricey but if you check their website they run many specials and make them as affordable as the lower rated hotels. The location is ideal next to beach drive so you can walk, make sure you visit the museums you will be astonished at the works of art. I understand the downtown retail area has a new owner and the stores are being rebuilt so will be adding retailers . The only Negative is that they are tearing down the old pier and I guess rebuilding. If you want to go to the beach the interstate is a few blocks away and will put you on st pete beach or ft desoto in minutes. Really you won't be disappointed with this choice!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeanette R, Manager at Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I cannot thank you enough for the very positive review of your most recent stay at the beautiful Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club. Your kind words and compliments were appreciated. I was especially excited to hear that you inquired about our bedding because of the comfort that you mentioned. We receive many requests about this because guests get such a great night sleep. That's wonderful! Sweet dreams... Now that you have experienced the Vinoy, I am hopeful that you will return to visit us again soon. Feel free to contact me directly at 727-824-8028, and I would be more than happy to assist with your upcoming reservations. Again, thank you for your time in writing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Downtown St. Pete has changed a lot in the last few years. You'll find numerous restaurants, cafes, gelato shops, and boutiques so that after arriving at the Vinoy, a car is unnecessary. But the hotel, despite boasting a renovation costing $93 mil., needs better up-keep and better training of staff. If you are considering visting St. Pete, I recommend the Lowes Don Cesar Resort about 15 minutes west and on the beach, also for under $320. If you have to be at the Vinoy for a wedding, you still might want to consider staying at the Don Cesar!

I have stayed in numerous chain luxury hotels and boutique hotels and the reason they are luxury are not just because the linens and interiors look and feel upscale, but because of their excellent customer service AND you will not see leaks, poor paint jobs, rust, etc.

PRO: Nice linens & towels, main hotel lobby decor, room size (at the guest tower built in 1992), view of the pier, proximity to restaurants, museums, shops, and walkability.

CONS: Service from servers, bellmen, valet (they didn't even try to open the door for me when we arrived nor on our way out!), quality of food, lack of up-keep of common spaces, pool is small for the size of the hotel--I'll explain more about the pool.
Generally, at luxury hotels, pool staff will carry your towels and set up your poolside chairs & umbrella and many offer complimentary sunblock so you do not have to worry about forgetting about sunblock or buying it at their sundries shop. Here, we were asked to see our hotel key, given wristbands & towels, and DONE.
If your room is in the Tower, you have to walk outside under awnings, constantly wet outdoor carpet & floors (we the entire time we were there), where you could enjoy the view of rust, layers of poorly applied paint, and a hideous and deafening "waterfall" only to walk into the entrance to the parking garage, THEN take an elevator from the parking garage entrance to your floor. Whew! It might not sound too bad, but a luxury hotel should have a proper walkway to perhaps the "lobby" of the other property at the hotel without being exposed to the outside elements.
Housekeeping forgot to leave towels after cleaning and did not vacuum or clean the chairs in the room prior to our arrival. I found visible food crumbs on the chairs and ottoman.
Our room was unusually humid for being 68 degrees. We alerted the hotel but nothing was done. We had difficulty sleeping because it was just so hot and humid! It was more humid than being outdoors!
The bathroom sink drain was broken and unable to drain. I didn't even bother alerting them about this.
No one stayed around to open the doors when entering the hotel or offer umbrellas when exiting (it had been raining on and off the entire extended weekend).

I would not stay at the Vinoy again. I have lived in Tampa and the Vinoy was always considered a luxury hotel so I was looking forward to our extended weekend stay but was sorely disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It's so important for us to receive both the positive feedback as well as the constructive criticism because it helps us learn and not only be better but strive for the best. Thank you for taking time out of your valuable schedule to write about your stay here. We find that many guests are from right around the corner and use the Vinoy as a mini getaway. While I was pleased to find that you loved our linens, towels, lobby decor, room size, view and proximity to restaurants, etc., I was of course disappointed to read some of the items that you were not happy with. I would love the opportunity to discuss your visit in more detail if you would contact me directly. It would be a pleasure to hear more and try to regain your confidence and encourage you to return for a more positive experience down the road. My phone number is 727-824-8028. I sincerely hope to hear back from you. Thank you again for your candid feedback.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

As can often be the case with 5 star hotels the service is inconsistent to the rating and therefore let's the hotel down. I can get nice rooms and a pool in a number of hotels in the St Petes/Clearwater but here thought I'd get top class service. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Restaurant staff at breakfast were too busy talking to each other than to serve the guests. When they did, they had perfected an air of disdained indifference. Very unwelcoming. No more extra breakfasts for me.

Rooms weren't serviced by 4pm each day - desperate when kids need to sleep. I eventually called each day to let them know when to do the room - when did the guest have to put in all the effort?

Reception staff were friendly enough but told me different information about the room servicing to housekeeping. There was no unified approach to how the place was run.

The saving grace was the ladies in the small coffee shop off reception. Sorted us out with a light breakfast and coffee everyday with a smile. They deserve to be recognised around otherwise soulless service.

I'm a loyal Marriott traveller and this has to be one of my most disappointing stays.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jeanette R, Manager at Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I was so happy to read of your compliments about the beauty of our resort, but as you can imagine, I wish we would have had the opportunity to discuss the shortcomings that you mentioned while you were here. It is always disheartening to learn that a guest was not happy with their stay after the fact. I would love to have the change to communicate with you and perhaps come to a resolution that regains your confidence in us. My email is jeanette.rivera@renaissancehotels.com. I would encourage you to email me. I appreciate your positive feedback and the constructive criticism too. We are always striving to be the best, and this helps us do just that. I look forward to hearing from you.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Recently I had the chance to spend two nights at the Vinoy in St. Pete and had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, a true "classic," with an attentive, helpful, and caring staff. We had a nice room in the "old" part of the hotel. A quick overview:

Pros:

* Classic, "Gatsby-era" hotel with modern upgrades
* Gorgeous lobby with multiple seating areas and a big bar
* Huge, luxurious pool with the hardest-working pool service staff I have ever seen
* Beautiful, meticulously maintained grounds
* Our room was enormous, clean and well-maintained
* The bathroom was huge, too
* Outstanding waterfront location just steps from an amazing variety of restaurants, shops, and even a small beach
* Except for the valet parking/doorman staff, the service is extremely friendly, personal, and eager to please

Cons:

* As others have noted, the air conditioning is loud and seems to struggle to keep pace with the sticky Florida heat
* Elevators are tiny, cramped, and a bit slow
* The parking staff we encountered had a bit of an attitude, both upon arrival and when I asked to temporarily park my car up so that I could pick up my elderly parents who were waiting in the lobby
* The self-parking is extremely inconvenient--remote from the main building, with tiny parking slots and a confusing arrangement

Overall, a very nice stay. I would definitely book the Vinoy again on future trips to St. Pete.

Room Tip: Our room in the "original" part of the hotel looked out over the motor court and an adjace...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were excited about staying at Vinoy this time; however, we were disappointed with our weekend stay. The location and decor are great, otherwise the room is average, with loud AC, uncomfortable bed and no fan in the bathroom. We wanted to spend sometime watching TV in the lobby and were were advised that the sound is turned off on all TVs in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my first stay here, and I would definitely return! The hotel is lovely and the decor is a wonderful blend of historic and contemporary. The staff is gracious, professional and helpful. Also loved the convenient downtown waterfront location which makes walking to restaurants and other local destinations easy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned from a great weekend in St Pete. Stayed at the Vinoy for the second time and love it as much as we did the first time. The staff knows how to run a hotel. I'm very picky when it comes to hotels and this hotel aims to please. We originally were given a king room when we needed 2 queens and although the hotel was very busy and had many functions (not to mention a holiday weekend) they were very accommodating! The place is beautiful and has so much to offer. I travel w/my husband and 1 child and we were all very happy the entire weekend. Took in a Yankee game & the hotel offers a shuttle to the stadium for $5.00 a person, cant beat that and kids under 12 are free! No parking hassles & door to door service. The rooms are quite clean, the pool is nice with plenty of seating and pool staff bends over backwards to accommodate. The restaurants are nice in the hotel & quite good but also with-in walking distance is a great downtown area with shops & restaurants. We ate dinner outside several nights and then walked to the pastry shop & had dessert & coffee! A great get away weekend! Will definitely be back as this is one of our favorite places! The Vinoy is a fabulous place with rich history and grand architecture but what really makes a great hotel is the staff and this staff never disappoints!! Can't wait to go again and stay longer, really want to take the hotel tour next time we are there. I can only speak about the tower rooms as that is where we have stayed both times but we were happy in the tower. Will investigate next time to educate myself a little more on what else this hotel has to offer as I'm sure we have only scratched the surface.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It was so nice to see that you returned for another stay here at the beautiful Vinoy Resort and Golf Club and even more refreshing to know that your second stay was as good, if not better, than the first. Being particular about where you stay and what the property has to offer, I was so glad to read your positive review. Some folks do not know about our shuttle service to and from the Rays baseball games so it was great that you mentioned it. Can't beat the convenience of a shuttle that leaves literally right outside our front door and takes you right to the field and back. Tickets can be purchased at our Concierge/Navigator Desk on the day of the game for only $5 and free for children 12 and under. It's a well kept secret but one that guests love if they are attending any of the great baseball games with the Rays and the opposing teams. Again, thank you for your kind words, and please join us again in the near future.

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!