“A beautiful historic property” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Celebrate the Savings
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Sugar Land, Texas
“A beautiful historic property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Vinoy is truly a treasure. My husband and I stayed in a very spacious and comfortable 6th floor room on the with large windows overlooking the Vinoy Marina across the way. Reception, navigator as well as every other staff member we encountered were pleasant and offered excellent service. Wonderful lobby plus veranda with cozy sitting areas everywhere. Enjoy excellent classic American cuisine in Marchand's Bar & Grill and after dinner have a nightcap at the Veranda Bar & Patio. The hotel shuttle can take you over to the Golf Club on Snell Island for dinner on the patio overlooking the course and bring you back to the hotel after dinner. Lovely. Don't miss the guided tour of the resort's historical building offered Wednesday to Saturday at 10:30 AM followed by an optional lunch in the historic dining room. Our guide, Melissa, was terrific as were each of the helpful staff. Our five days at the Vinoy flew by. Lots to do and see in the immediate area. The Dali Museum and the Chihuly Gallery are not to be missed.

Room Tip: Our extra large 6th floor room facing the marina had a lovely view out of the large windows.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
widnes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We arrived at the hotel earlier than the suggested check in time, reception staff were very helpful and thankfully our room was available. The hotel is very grand but also modern, the reception /bar area is full of a mixture of colours and beautiful ornaments, lots of sitting areas with settee/books etc, oh and the obligatory flat screen tv's. The rooms were very spacious and the beds really comfortable, in parts the paintwork was a bit worn but that is me being really picky! Don't let it put you off going, we were also fortunate to have a pool /marina view room which was fab. Breakfast was fantastic and the service was 5star, definitely will be returning the next time in St.Petersburg.

Room Tip: We asked for a pool/marina view when booking and that's what we got.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is wonderfully renovated, the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The bathroom is a comfortable size. The service of the staff is exceptional, minus one of the valets who chose to make rude and unnecessary comments about our football team sticker on our car. The porch is delightful. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The bathroom floor in the first room (Rm 204) we checked in had spots that looked like fungus or mold. We were given a different room (205) right away. However, the second room's view was so bad that the lower half of all the windows are frosted. The floor in the toilet was dusty. There was also significant stains on the arm of one of the chairs. I was so grossed out that I requested a different room the next day.

The 3rd room (Rm 314) has a better view but half the shower curtain has mildew. By then, I could not be bother to ask for a 4th room.

At the lobby area: I noticed one of the elevator buttons (the up button) was cracked. I also found hair in the berry cup I brought from the illy coffee bar.

Overall assessment: I was surprised by the sloppiness of housekeeping in such a beautiful hotel. I didn't feel comfortable with the hygiene of our rooms. The staffs were not particularly friendly. After I told a manager at the lobby about my experience in Rm 205, he did not offer any help to make things more comfortable for us. He was only writing down what I reported. I got a new room only after I asked for it. The only friendly staffs were a guy who greeted us from the driveway one our arrival.

We liked the location and the architectural charm of the hotel but housekeeping fell short of my expectation of a resort hotel of similar class.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 205 because of bad view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeanette R, Manager at Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
As you can imagine, I was so disappointed to read of your housekeeping comments. Please accept a sincere apology. I would love the opportunity to discuss this in personal. If you have a moment, may I ask you to please contact me at 727-824-8028. We take great pride in our cleanliness and housekeeping details, and this is certainly not the impression we wanted you to leave with. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Thank you for sharing your constructive criticism, and I look forward to talking with you soon.
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Attended a wedding there and stayed for two nights. The tea garden was a beautiful setting and the reception was great. The rooms are so comfortable. We had a very good time. The entire staff is exceptional. They are extremely attentive and go out of their way to make guests feel relaxed. It is top of the line service. The Vinoy is centrally located to downtown St. Pete and directly across from the Marina. I recommend the Sunday Brunch, it was delicious. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your glowing review of the Vinoy and for sharing your experience in staying here. Isn't the Tea Garden the perfect spot for a wedding? I'm so glad that all went well and that you enjoyed your time here and hope you will visit again soon.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Had a nice stay here during the GOP convention in August 2012.
Room was large, very clean, nice view, soft bedding, quiet. and updated.
Resort grounds were nice. I loved the lobby area and sitting area with all the rocking chairs.
Nice bars around the hotels, and the hotel restaurant was great -- though it was pretty expensive.
I remember the pool area being somewhat underwhelming, though I didn't use it (arrived on the tail end of a hurricane).
I'd stay there again if I came to St. Petersburg.
BTW, St. Pete's beach is WAY overrated. I went there to see one of the supposedly top 10 beaches in America and it just wasn't, sorry folks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
It was great to read your review and that you mentioned the rooms being large, clean and with a nice view. We appreciate that. And of course, who doesn't love the rocking chairs on the veranda where you can people watch and see the beautiful surrounding scenery? Thank you for staying with us and sharing your opinions. Come and visit us again soon.
Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The driveway is short and belies the size of the hotel. The valets were quick on arrival and on departure. The hotel lobby is ornate in the style of a Henry Flagler hotel. The reception and registration was very efficient. All the employees we met in the hotel seemed to be happy with their work which makes for a pleasant stay. Our room was large and could have used another piece of furniture but for two of us it was fine. Our room was in a separate building from the main hotel which was not an inconvenience. The entire facility was clean and the services were first rate. We had a very enjoyable stay. We had a little problem finding the hotel but knew it was on the water which helped in us finding it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Enjoyed reading your review and appreciated the positive comments. It was so nice to hear that our front office team was quick and responsive to your arrival and that you found the resort to be clean and well maintained. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Vinoy very soon!

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!