“The Vinoy is Grand!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Trussville, AL
“The Vinoy is Grand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

I visited the Vinoy Jan 7-10 to attend a training symposium for my job. The hotel and grounds are simply gorgeous. My room did not have a view, but I was not in it during the day so it didn't matter. There are many rooms that have beautiful views of the harbor across the street. The entire staff was very attentive, friendly and helpful. I requested an office chair for my sister to use with her laptop at the desk provided in the room. One was brought up immediately. We requested extra coffee and they brought us several packages within minutes. The room was not huge, but there was ample room for moving around. The bed was made up with luxurious sheets and a down comforter. The mattress was one of the best I've experienced in a hotel room. Across the street near the harbor was a lovely park with many paths and benches. We watched the sunset there a couple of evenings. The ballrooms and meeting rooms were elegant and very functional. All in all I rate this stay as superb!

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

The Renaissance Vinoy Resort is a St Petersburg treasure. The property is located a very short walk from the downtown - Baywalk area and overlooks Tampa Bay and the Pier. The mid 1920's architecture has been restored to pink perfection and the gardens, veranda and pool area are lovely. We dined in several of the on site restaurants - Alfresco (great breakfast buffet on weekends) and Marchand's -( elegant table service in a beautiful room). Marchand's has an interesting late night menu - the "micro burger" platter has the best burgers I've had in a long while. There are many other restaurants and small shops within a 5 -8 minute walk of the hotel - including Starbucks and Atlanta Bread Company (that has free WIFI).

Our stay was during Thanksgiving week so the hotel was not particularly full - (although there were at least 3 wedding receptions during our stay)- our room overlooked both the bay and pool area. There was a large decorative waterfall directly opposite our room that flowed from about 8 am to about 10 at night. I found the sound to be soothing but if you are sensitive to rushing water noises you may want to ask for a room at the front of the hotel or in the tower building. The tower seems to be a newer addition and those rooms have balconies.

The historic building rooms with king beds are adequate but not large - and the furnishings (at least in our room) were a little worn (but clean) - I expected them to be a bit more pristine. The lobby areas of the Vinoy are immaculately clean as is the pool area. Maid service was efficient and unobtrusive - our room was made up by the time we returned from our early breakfasts - (never even saw the maid's cart in the hall!).

In all, this hotel a great place to stay and relax - quiet and comfortable with well trained and caring staff. There were some families with children staying at the hotel while we were there but I would caution parents that the pool is not lifeguarded and there did not appear to be any child themed programs -ie: kiddie camp activities or playground areas. This hotel has more of an adult orientation. Also - the Vinoy is not near the big sandy Gulf of Mexico beaches that you may associate with St. Pete.

One pet peeve that is applicable to the Vinoy (and others) - why do better hotels and resorts charge $ for in room internet service - while the lesser chains offer it for free? Burying the cost of internet service in a room or resort fee rather than a blatant charge would sit a lot better with travelers -- most of whom need/expect to be able to get to their email a couple of times a day.

• Liked — Quiet, convenient and relaxing
  • Disliked — Charge for internet service, room furnishings worn
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jersey Shore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

Loved the Vinoy! Corporate meeting held here and what a location! Meeting hall was spacious. I had a room on the newer side of the property. Plush room with a jacuzzi on my own private porch. Very nice. Food was very good. The staff made my stay very enjoyable. Going to bring the Mrs. here some time soon! Also, lots to do here. Walked to a great restaurant for dinner. Plenty of things to do within walking distance. 2 Thumbs way up for the Vinoy!!!

• Liked — Beautiful Building. Great Location!
  • Disliked — Everything was great!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

We stayed here10/27-10/29. We used our Marriott points for one night and paid $150 for the other night. The location is right on the Bay. It is very convenient to shopping and restaruants. We were there for a 50th anniversay party at Mahaffey theatre which is 4 blocks down the street. The hotel has a wonderful terrace with fockers and seating to have drinks and enjoy the nice evenings. When looking at a 5 star the service and amenities is key. While we were there one of the elevators was out on our wing. The original cypress beams and tile in the foyer were beautiful.

Our room was average, we had a small view of the bay and a larger view of the roof of the conference area. The bed was very comfortable with good linens. However the lushness of the room and bathroom amenities were lacking for a 5 star. The room was very quiet even though the hotel was very busy. The climate of the room even with the humidity outside was nice. Our friends stayed at the Tradewinds and the carpets were damp because of the humidity. Another nice deal was the complimentary shoe shine service. One other item that bothered me was the coffee and tea service was stored in the closet. The room also did not have an in room safe.

We would definitely stay here again as long as we got a deal.

• Liked — close location to museums and downtown
  • Disliked — small elevators and expensive business office
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

When we pulled in to the parking lot a very rude hotel shuttle driver (with yankee attitude) berated us for parking in front of him.

The hotel placated me with a free night and I think they fired him.

Nice hotel otherwise.

Stayed March 2007
tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We loved our stay. It was my fiance's b-day and we went to the Mediterranean restaurant at the hotel-- delicious! Just do not use the salon & spa. I was planning on doing my wedding makeup there-- but the woman did a horrible job. Not a nice spa-- especially for the price!

• Disliked — spa
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boynton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

This building is incredible, from the amazing tile floors in the lobby, to the handpainted ceiling beams, the huge granite pillars and arches, the gardens, and be sure to see the ballroom.

They will try to put you into a room overlooking the Tampa Bay on the front of the hotel where a pile driver is banging away and it is earsplitting. Insist on a room with a balcony in the tower overlooking the tennis courts. I used the balcony a lot and had room service out there and it was beautiful. I actually had to be shown four different rooms before they gave me a decent one, not overlooking the pile driver and with a thermostat that did not keep the room under 69 degrees.

Forget room service. While it is very fast the food is not good.
I actually had a bad stomach ache from the food for some reason and it did not taste good at all. The $15.00 Ceasar Salad had 6 huge pieces of lettuce and two slivers of parmasan cheese and a little pitcher of bottled dressing. It was served in an enormous bowl with a lid and when I took the lid off thinking wow this is huge, I had to pick up the bowl and look and way down in the bottom were the 6 pieces of lettuce, like they had just been ripped off the head of lettuce and thrown in this big bowl. I was pretty shocked. Morning eggs were very greasy with rancid grease.

The room was not decorated very well but the bathroom was very nice with two sinks and all in marble. It was a 19" TV and all the movies showing on the pay per view were ones like you get for $2.00 in a bin at Blockbuster, with actors no one has ever heard of, really fourth rate movies that no one wants to see.

This hotel is right where you want to stay in the heart of things in St. Petersburg. It is surrounded by beautiful parks and lots of little nice restaurants with outdoor tables.

The staff does try so hard in every way and will try to talk your ear off if you let them. It got a bit annoying when I was trying to rush to do things.

The pool is small but very pretty but there were of course lots of little kids in it. The spa never returned my phone call. I had called to get a massage and got an answering machine and left a message, so forget about the spa.
There is a huge terrific health club in the basement of the Tower and a personal trainer is available.

Next time I will try the Don Ceasar on St. Pete Beach, about 25 minutes to the west on the Gulf of Mexico. Those beaches are the prettiest I've seen outside of Hawaii!

• Liked — I loved the historic beautiful building, and the location.
  • Disliked — Bad food, having to look at four rooms to get a livable one.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!