“One of the best stays ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Nightly Resort Credit
Ranked #6 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
PA & FLA
“One of the best stays ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

WOW!! just WOW!! We've been to plenty of luxury hotels in all different venues but it has been a long time since we have experienced such perfection! EVERYTHING WAS GOOD! A beautiful old hotel which was masterfully restored, very clean and modern, comfortable rooms with quiet flawless air conditioning and great water pressure for a comfortable shower. All food was excellent! The staff was efficient and very personable and really seem to "give a darn"!!!
We are already scheduled for a return visit in about two months!! Highest recommendation from us, go there!!

Room Tip: Front view is wonderful

936 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Ambler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Four delightful days in the St. Petersburg area thanks to a wonderful stay at the Vinoy! From arrival to departure, the staff is courteous, friendly, and very helpful. Special thanks are extended to John and Jenny (Maria too) for their genuine hospitality at the front desk. In talking with many of the staff - they are all happy to be employed by the hotel....and it is expressed in their smiles.
We had a beautiful front room in the historic main building...exceptionally convenient to the lobby & elevators. Large and spacious, great view to city and marina/pier, exceptionally clean, and very comfortable beds!
Self parking is easy....there is a charge, plus internet charge too....
There are many good restaurants within walking distance, plus early AM coffee spots too. Convenient to Dali and Chiholy museums, the park, marina, Pier (touristy area - but great views of the bay), and the City trolley for an overview of town and/or on/off travel.
We were at the hotel for a business meeting and two evening receptions. Our compliments to the buffet stations of seafood, filet, pasta...and a cuban selection of foods. The grand ballroom off the lobby is a spacious venue for the group of 200 persons.
Bar/restaurant area off the hotel - super
AND of course - there are meeting rooms for 'business.'
A little chilly this trip for the pool, but has a lovely setting.....and did see many folks using the tennis courts.
One of my favorite spots - rocking on the front porch - taking in the sights and the morning sunshine.
Very convenient for walking...or driving to the beaches or for a Philles spring game.

Room Tip: of course - front facing rooms toward the marina are excellent - especially for the morning sunrise...
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I recently hosted a meeting at the Renaissance Vinoy for our Executive Team. Everything from the check-in to the meeting space was perfect. Everyone was pleased with the meeting room accomodations and the set-up. The food was outstanding and so was the service. I will definately host another meeting at this property in the future. Great location. Plenty to do on property and around the downtown area. Everything is within walking distance. If you have not staed at this property you must try it.

Room Tip: There are two buildings. The main building is the historic building where only the front rooms face...
Newtown, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My family of 4 stayed there for a wedding for 5 nights over New Year's. Seeing as I have 2 older teenagers and considering the length of our stay, I requested a room with two beds, plus either a rollaway bed or a pullout couch at the time I made the reservation many months prior. When we checked in and got to our room, theire was neither a rollaway bed or a couch. We let the front desk know and requested it again. Later that day I stopped by to ask about it and was told they thought they had just given out the last rollaway - as though we had never even asked for it. I had to firmly state that we expect to get one and finally one arrived. But it shouldn't be that difficult.

The room we got (while nice and large) had possibly the WORST view possible - heating vents and a roof. While we were part of a block of rooms for the wedding, they were not all together and others in the same block as us had lovely views and some even balconies. And I should point out that although we got a "discounted" rate, it was by no means "cheap" - and we were staying 5 nights!

While it was quite clear that there were four of us in the room, the cleaning staff never seemed to remember to leave 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and 4 washcloths. We had to keep calling down to ask for them. Finally we just took some from the pool.

The $18 per day valet parking, or even the $12 per day self parking is a bit ridiculous seeing as you can park on the street right across from the hotel for free. Luckily we caught on to that quickly.

The service in the patio area in the front of the hotel was very uneven. Since this was a wedding event with many guests from out of town, we were there often meeting for drinks and conversation. Sometimes the waiter/waitress would disappear for long periods of time. One evening we had ordered multiple appetizers over the course of the evening and some never even came. We witnessed people with another group ask to speak to the manager because they were obviously also having problems.

Lastly, on our last day we asked the girl working at the bar on the veranda if the TV at the far end of the veranda could be tuned to a particlar channel so we could watch the Winter Classic and have some drinks and food. They accomodated us but not happily and refused to turn on the volume even a little. it was a very chilly day by Florida standards (not to us from the northeast though) and we were the ONLY ones out on the veranda. We asked to speak to the manager since the girl at the bar was very robotic in her refusal to turn on the volume. The manager came out and pretended to fuss with the TV and said he thought it might be wired to not have volume but he would see what he could do. He never came back. Certainly not a manager interested in accomodating his guests.

On a positive note, the bellmen and valet people were incredibly friendly and helpful and made a point of remembering the names of guests and greeted us every time we passed them coming in or out. They were very accomodating and eager to please and it was a pleasure to deal with them. The food and service in the restaurants and pool area were all good. The location is beautiful - great area for morning walks along the water.

All in all, while this hotel tries to position itself as an upscale resort, it's really just an average chain in a nice spot. Other family members as well as my family stayed a few nights prior to this stay at a Hilton and Hampton Inn locally where we got upgrades for no reason, had complimentary breakfasts and happy hours, and paid LOT less per night.

Room Tip: Specifically request a room with a water or pool view, or a balcony if you want one. Otherwise you...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

This was a perfect mini-trip for us. We were attending a wedding at the Vinoy so we stayed a couple of nights. A lovely grand hotel in a wonderful setting. St Pete is a vibrant town and the hotel is perfectly situated to take advantage of most everything.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We are locals (we live in Tampa) but stayed at the Vinoy for my sister's wedding. The staff which worked during the reception was FANTASTIC. They went above and beyond. Really - they were all professional and helpful, overall, a great experience.
When we checked into our room (we were under the wedding block), I should have mentioned that I wanted a nice room. But I really shouldn't have to ask for a nice room to begin with - shouldn't that be a given? Here are our complaints...
1. Our room, which was in the main building, was on the 7th floor. Our room was small. So small, that if you opened the bathroom door, you couldn't access the room's front door.
2. The view was TERRIBLE. I know that there are better views in that hotel, but our view was of the roof and the parking lot and there was a light that came through our window, our room was never really dark.
3. The towels...or lack thereof. We got a room with a king size bed. You would think four towels would be the standard? Nope. We only got 2. And, I thought that my husband had rolled up one of the towels because it wasn't folded. I was concerned that our towel was used - until I got a new towel and it was handed to me unfolded, in kind of a balled up roll. I guess that's how they 'fold' their towels? Oh and I would have been fine with two towels, except that there wasn't any place to hang up our towels to dry except for a tiny towel wrack in the shower. I would have been ok with 2 towels if they were at least dry.
4. More about the towels - they are very thin and dingy and just sad. I should have packed my own. But then maybe they are thin so that they dry faster?
5. The remote control was greasy - gave me the willies.
6. They must have been running low on pillows too. We only had three and they were deflated looking. My neck is still kind of sore.
7. I know that not all hotels change the sheets, but they could at least change the pillow cases, especially when one of them has a big chocolate spot on it from me. Nope, they put that pillow front and center, right back on the bed.

I know that list is long. But even with the discounted rate, I would have rather had a larger room, more towels, and a clean remote control.

Room Tip: avoid even numbers on the 7th floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

The manager found out it was our anniversary, he upgraded our room, even bought us a historical book of the hotel...the rest of the staff was super, restaurant was great, room was fantastic...perfect time. I misplaced theo
managers card or I would mention his name...he is also kind to law enforcement...recommend this to all my friends and family. TS

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!