“Beautiful hotel, one major complaint” 3 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Florida
“Beautiful hotel, one major complaint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I think this hotel is beautiful, I love the hotel's history, the grounds, the location, the pool and the restaurants. The reason for the average rating was our room. It was very large and the beds were comfortable. However, it was not as clean as I expected it to be. The bathroom smelled terrible, as if it had been recently painted. The bathroom floor and the shower just weren't as clean as they should have been. Additionally, the bedskirt on one of the beds was filthy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Cartersville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Our check-in was uneventful and easy. Everyone was very friendly. The valet gave us the option to self park. Most appreciated because I like being in control of when I need my car...I come and go a lot while on vacation!
Our room had absolutely no view, but I didn't go there for the view. I wanted to rest and relax. The room was very big, beautiful and really clean. Aveda bath products and plenty of soft towels.
We were offered two newspapers each morning, but neglected to get either our first morning there. I'm not much of a whiner, so I went by the front desk as we left for coffee and gave them a heads up...we had our papers at the door the next morning! :)
The food at Marchand's was excellent! We had Barbecue Pork Sliders and Grouper Sliders.
I highly recommend staying here if you want to be in the middle of everything St. Petersburg has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night for a semi-local getaway. We were greeted enthusiastically with delicious chocolate chip cookies, which is always a win for me!
The rooms are small because of the age of the hotel bit they're fine for a short stay. The view of the pool and the bay were gorgeous!
I was a little disappointed that the shower tiles were a moldy. I know that's a minor thing but for the expense of this hotel it should be spotless, in my opinion.
The spa services were great and people were friendly. They do a lot of events at this resort so it was SUPER busy, although it was very quiet and peaceful in the room.
Overall, a great little getaway in a perfect location!

• Stayed May 2011
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed here Memorial Day weekend while in town to see baseball game. Great hotel. Classic, but very clean. Had a couple of minor technical glitches w/ the room, but they were quickly fixed with one call to the front desk. Room service breakfast was fast and hot on arrival -- the person who delivered the food was discreet: my wife was in bed when he came in and he was very careful to keep his back to her the whole time.

I've stayed in some "classic" Florida hotels that are worn and musty... Not the Vinoy. We had drinks at the more expensive Don Cesar on the beach. We like the Vinoy better as it had more charm (the Cesar was beautiful, but as a Lowes property it was a little too too).

Overall very enjoyable. Recommend without hesitation.

Santa Clarita
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

i spent two nights at the Vinoy for a business meeting. It normally would not have been my choice for a hotel as I tend to prefer the more modern hotels, but as it was the location of the meeting and paid for I had no choice.
The hotel is definitely a classic and Marriott did an excellent job restoring it to what must be its original grandeur. I found the service to be fine, nothing to write home about but I've had better and I've had worse at other Renaissance properties.
I did have drinks in the lounge one night and breakfast in the restaurant the next morning. The drinks were priced as one would expect, but the service very friendly. Breakfast was fine, again, had better and had worse.
My biggest problem is that upon check-in I heard guests in front of me speaking to the desk clerk about a change in room because of what they thought was paranormal activity in theirs. Now ghosts are not something I ever think about staying at a hotel, but when I got into my room I googled it just for fun and sure enough the Vinoy has a long history of paranormal presences - it was featured in a more recent episode of Ghost Hunters. So overall this knowledge combined with some oddities (probably just my imagination working too hard) made for a couple nights that I did not sleep well and a desire to get home as soon as possible. So if you're into that kind of thing, request the 5th floor!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Vinoy St Petersburg is a very disappointing experience. The most, this is a three star hotel. Many guests who reviewed this hotel wrote that this is ‘a wonderful resort”. It is NOT a resort of any kind. It has no grounds except for the tiny park on the side of the hotel. Golf course is mile and half away and is not the part of the hotel. Closest beach is ten miles away. Rooms in the old building are spacious and although renovated recently, they resemble Marriott Courtyard cheap style rooms. Nothing luxurious about them. Towels in the bathroom are very poor quality and worn out, only one towel per guest and one small, tiny soap for two people. Only one coffee pack in the bar. Beds are very, very soft. Bar/fridge area was dirty and dust has not been cleaned for some time. The cheapest rooms (at the time of my visit $289.00/per night) are overlooking parking for shuttle buses and a huge air-conditioning system on the roof of the other part of the hotel that is extremely loud. You will be offered an upgrade for a hefty price. Swimming pool is very small for this hotel size; there is a huge amount of chairs densely packed next to each other that other people are touching you with elbows. Restaurant Alfresco is nothing better than a cheap joint, although prices are not cheap at all. The hotel is claiming that the Marchand’s Bar is an award winning restaurant. Maybe so, but you pay $35.00 for an entrée that you eat on a bare table surface without even any placemats. The third restaurant is open only during the weekend. Elevators are very small and old and inside terribly renovated, in a decor that does not match historic theme of the hotel. Reception is very slow and usually only one receptionist on duty. Hotel has outside corridors that are dirty, with cheap décor and worn carpets. Parking is very expensive ($18.00 for valet and $12.00 for self parking/per day) and there is a n internet charge. In the same day I was charged twice for parking, once for the valet and second time for self parking. There was no-one available to help with luggage at the check-out and the garage is quite a distance away (with stairs on the way tot he garage). If in St. Petersburg for business or for visiting local museums, this is a great location, walking distance to downtown and restaurants. However, do not choose this hotel for a holiday, romantic weekend or honeymoon. You will not enjoy it and will feel dumb for paying such a high price for a motel style experience.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I booked this hotel for my husband and I to enjoy a night away, but close to home (Tampa). We booked a package that included things like champagne upon arrival, and a couples massage. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and the place was packed. The person checking us in wasn't warm or welcoming, as I would expect staying and paying for a package at a well known "high class resort & spa" We were able to check into our room early, but were given a piece of paper ( our certificate for the weekend to use for everything that was included in our package), and on it read that we needed to call in room dining for our complimentary champagne. This was the first red flag of many for the entire experience at the Vinoy. One would think that after paying top dollar for a nights 'romantic package' you wouldn't have to have a certificate to enjoy the package you purchased, nor call room service to ask for our complimentary champagne. After 30 minutes of waiting for our champagne, we had to finally call to cancel the delivery because we had an upcoming appointment for our couples massage. The Vinoy spa is NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL. My husband and I enjoy massages on occasion and we have a local place in Tampa that we frequent that is less than 1/2 the price of the Vinoy spa and has a much NICER ATMOSPHERE then the outdated, cluttered, over rated Vinoy spa. The massage was fine, nothing that impressive, and it was definitely not worth it for the price!! The room was mediocre, just an average room, nothing special the pillows were horrible. We finally got our 'complimentary champagne' after calling a 2nd time after our mediocre massage. We ate dinner out, and enjoyed the vicinity of the Vinoy, which is within walking distance to an abundance of restaurants off of Beach St in downtown St. Pete. The next morning we ordered our in-room dining breakfast which was another item that was included in our package...which was delivered about 45 minutes later. It was a descent breakfast, but not worth the $60 price!! Upon checkout, the attendant asked how our stay was, and I said it was "OK" and explained some of the things I have written here. I also filled out a comment card, and will post this to as many review boards as possible. He printed out our bill, and come to find out there was yet another thing wrong with the whole 'resort and spa experience' our bill included charges from the valet and the massage that were supposed to be included in the package!!! So, we had to wait an extra 10 minutes for the attendant to adjust the bill so we weren't charged!! For the price of the romance package at a supposed upscale resort I expected a much greater level of service and experience than what we received. One other complaint before closing, WIFI wasn't included!! In this day and age, WiFi should be included (especially at the price of this hotel) as it is in almost any other hotel you stay in these days!!! OVERALL, I appreciate the history and historic nature of the Vinoy, it's great to experience by getting a cocktail and hanging out at one of the restaurants, but that's as far as I would recommend, I would NOT EVER RECOMMEND STAYING OVERNIGHT, NOR WOULD I EVER RECOMMEND THE VINOY SPA.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!