“Great food, order slowly” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 725 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
New York City, New York
“Great food, order slowly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were just in St. Pete for a week and finally got around to dining at Ceviche. Here's what you need to know: It gets crowded and noisy. We went on Saturday night at 6--no reservations for fewer than 6 people and we were two. They said it starts getting really busy at 7 but it was already crowded so be warned. Many people like the veranda tables. We had the last table for two inside, near the door. Never mind, menu is overwhelming with great choices. We had one house ceviche--very tasty, and one order of boquerones (Spanish anchovies) which was great. We then ordered two fish tapas--mahi mahi and salmon. DIdn't pay attention--both were prepared the same in a lovely sauce with leeks. Perfectly cooked, a bit on the rare side, very fresh. And we ordered a lamb shank which was tender and delicious and a portobello mushroom stuffed with spinach and with two sauces--divine. Our big mistake was to put in all orders at once so the food kept rushing out and we were gobbling it down. Later, our innkeeper said he should have told us to order one or two at a time so that we could have savored the food, which was savor worthy. The server was nice but a bit harried--so many tables, so little time. With all this in mind, definitely go but take my advice! Oh, and the bread pudding with vanilla ice cream--no room but we managed to eat every crumb. Yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sarasota, Florida
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been to Ceviches a number of times, mostly at the Sarasota location, which I think has wonderful food & service. Unfortunately, this Ceviches has been very disappointing. The service is the main issue for me. One of my pet peeves is when servers DON'T write anything down! Yes, it's impressive when you get it all right and you have a wonderful memory, but when you screw up almost every dish, then it's time to swallow your pride and grab a pen and paper. The most annoying thing about it is when that same server doesn't realize he forgot anything, and you as the customer are left wondering when it's coming out. The other issue? Having them actually check up on you once the food's been served. On a separate occasion, I ordered a salad with salmon. One bite into my salmon had me gagging as it was still completely raw inside. The server didn't know this until several minutes after my meal was finished (minus the salmon) and it was too late for anything to be done other than deducting the salmon charge from the bill. I don't know that I will come back again. Too many mistakes and the worst part is, they don't even realiize it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great variety and presentation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We loved dinner at Ceviche, the fabulous tapas place on Central Avenue & Beach Dr. It's a popular spot, not taking reservations. But with good company, the wait for your table it not too long, and definitely worth the wait.
Not all in our party wanted to eat ceviche, but there were plenty options. One side of the menu lists all the cold ceviche dishes, while the reverse side lists the hot tapas. Everything from delicious sweetbreads (the waitress asked, "Do you know what that is?" just to make sure when we place the order), to succulent oxtail, from mixed veggies to portobello or other mushroom dishes.
The whole dinner was very exciting, we ordered 2 or 3 small plates per person, which we constantly passed around. It was a fun and very sociable experience. One of the best dining experiences we had in St. Pete this year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Providence, Rhode Island
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a nice place..we were there for lunchand enjoyed a number of delish "tapas" the white gazpacho was wonderful. If in town I would eat here again.

Visited February 2013
Buffalo, New York
“Love tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This restaurant rocked! I loved everything I ordered. The food was so good that it reminded me that I hadn't been to a really good restaurant in quite awhile. My friend also loved everything. Prices were reasonable and wait staff is perfect.

Visited February 2013