“Good economical and convenient place to stay in an expensive city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Downtown

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Dayton, Ohio
“Good economical and convenient place to stay in an expensive city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here when there was an over flow of guests at a relative's house. This is a historic hotel that has been renovated. Still has the original plaster walls and tiles in the lobby floor, but the rooms are updated and very comfortable. We were very happy with our stay and the staff who were very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
safety harbor, florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Although I live in the Tampa Bay area, I stayed at this Marriott to attend a wedding in downtown St Pete. Its an old hotel from from the 1920's thats been updated. The lobby is really charming with lots of marble high ceilings. The room was comfortable, suprisingly roomy for an old hotel. Contrary to what other people said, walking to other parts of downtown was easy and very safe. Sure there are some homeless people around, but you have them in every city. I wasn't crazy about the breakfast, but a short walk landed us near a few choices for a a good, inexpensive breakfast. Overall, suprisingly pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CourtyardStPeteGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the historic Courtyard by Marriott Downtown St. Petersburg. It is good to hear you found our hotel to be a good fit for you during the wedding festivities. St Petersburg has so much to offer and we are proud to be a part of this community!

Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Had a dinner to run to so quickly checked in.Parked on the street next to the hotel rather than go through the procedure of valet. Was not recognized as a gold Marriott member by the front desk attendant who was busy on the phone during check in. Was not offered an upgrade until asked and that was declined because all were filled. Came back around 9pm and noticed a parking space on the street.2 hour parking enforcement stops b/w 6 PM and 8 AM. Had to leave the next day at 8 anyway, so avoided the $12 parking. Room was fine with very comfortable bed. Small valet closet (luggage rack fell when i opened the door- be careful!) adjacent to good size desk area. Room contained mini fridge. Bathroom was big enough with plenty of thick towels. One complaint: shower head was same height as me- 6 foot- causing me to duck down to wash hair. Used the workout room which contained 2 treadmills, an elyptical, 2 bikes, a bench and rack of dumbbells. There was an indoor pool next to this room. Had continnental breakfast ($5.99; hot b/f was $9.99)which had adequate selection and fresh fruit.Lobby area is original art deco for thisgrand old dame. Interesting pictures from old St. Petersburg travel brochures. It was fine and cost the same as another nearby Courtyard, but had more character. Nothing really close by that you could walk to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the historic Courtyard by Marriott Downtown St. Petersburg. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be goo choice for you while in our city. I do apologize for not thanking you for your loyalty to Marriott and recognizing your travel veteran Gold Status. We do appreciate your continued selection of Marriott. I hope we have the opportunity to host you again when your travels bring you back to St Petersburg.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My family and I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in the last 6 years or so, and would not think of staying anywhere else in the area. (OK - Maybe the Vinoy if we win the lottery) We have found the rooms clean, quiet, and comfortable and the housekeeping staff very attentive.

While I am not a big fan of valet parking (just the way things are in St Pete), I have found the contracted valet staff to be extremely friendly and helpful in their recommendations of things off the beaten path to see and do in the city. I am a smoker, and have chatted them up quite a bit, always good informative conversations.

The location is perfect. Within walking distance to a few great restaurants (Try Grattzi Italian and Ratchada Thai/Sushi). Close enough to the museums, pier, baseball stadium without being overrun with crowds for these.

Every member of the staff is professional and courteous and over probably around 25 nights of staying in the hotel, I have never found one complaint with the staff or the hotel itself, and we can be a needy group sometimes. (ok, the A/C in the pool is usually a little too cold - my one complaint)

We do walk a lot while in St Pete, and while there are a large amount of homeless people in the park a few blocks away, my family has never been confronted or bothered by them, even when walking home late at night.

We will hopefully be staying here again in the near future, and are looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Try to get high and facing the Bay.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
CourtyardStPeteGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your very kind comments about the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown St Petersburg. I am very pleased that you find our staff helpful and accomodating. We certainly look forward to your next visit and would be happy assist in any way and I invite you to contact me personally.
Thank you again.
North Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Spent one night and it was comfortable and clean. Check in and check out was painless and valet attendant was very nice and informative about local eateries, etc. Breakfast was good. Over all it was a nice stay but nothing above average. Hotel is in need of some sprucing up.

Room Tip: Ask for a 7th floor room facing the bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your stay here at the Courtyard St Petersburg Downtown. I appreciate your feedback. I do want to share that we are in the design phase of our lobby restaurant renovations and hope to complete in the near future. We will be sprucing up!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was fortunate to find accommodations in St Pete while I attended the RNC Welcome Party. Friendly valet and front desk. Helpful too when I needed to mail a letter. Hallway carpet looks a little dated but my updated room on the 7th floor faced the Bay so I could watch Ole Issac come to St. Pete and Tampa.

The hotel slipped an official letter under my door that evening to advise guests that the storm could cause some inconveniences and what to do should the storm knock out electricity and that the hotel had sufficient supplies of food and water should it become necessary. Fortunately that advice was not needed.

The breakfast is very good. Valet only parking is $12 per nite. The location is superb. Don't miss the Dali Museum and the Aquarium both are awesome. I would recommend this hotel. The rates were reasonable even during the RNC and the staff was helpful with directions and exceeded my expectations. Nice workout room and INDOOR POOL!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a comp upgrade to the top floor (7th) for great views of the city.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardStPeteGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at the Historic Courtyard by Marriott St Petersburg. I am pleased that you found our hotel comfortable and that our service met your needs. We appreciate our guests and love when they pass along their positive experience! We hope you will return again.
stuart, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I chose to book this hotel based on its proximity to the Pier. I usually read reviews first but it was a short notice trip and what a mistake! When we arrived the "valet" for the parking was nowhere to be found so we saved $12 and parked on the street. The hotel lobby is totally dated and staff seemed rather out of it when we checked in. The room was clean enough so we were hopeful for a good nights sleep but the airconditioning kicking on sounded like a jet engine and the walls are so thin we were kept awake by every passing car on the street and a 3:45am screaming match by our neighbors which we complained about to the front desk but nothing was done. Worst nights sleep ever! We were also given a card upon checkin listing the shuttle as coming every half hr. We went down to catch this shuttle with 10 min to spare only to find it just pulling away! Apparently that "schedule" is only during Rays games and we had to request the shuttle which wouldnt be back to get us for 20-30 min. We decided just to walk it and within 5 minutes i was absolutely terrified of the area we were in. Homeless people everywhere with one even peeing in the alley as we walked by!! We would definitely not reccomend anyone walk through that area if they can help it. I owe my boyfriend the biggest apology ever for blindly booking this horrible hotel for us!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Downtown? Share your experiences!