“You Will Either Love it or Hate the Trop” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 126 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the Tampa Bay Rays, this major league park is the first to feature naturally looking FieldTurf.
Chandler, Arizona
39 attraction reviews
“You Will Either Love it or Hate the Trop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

First, the Trop is in ST. PETERSBURG. Not Tampa. They are two different cities separated by a body of water.

I am a big baseball fan. When I was working I did a lot of traveling and every chance I got I went to see a baseball game - be it major or minor leagues. I have been to stadiums in practically every city and I can say there is nothing like the Trop.

It is an older indoor stadium. The advantage is that you never get rained out or have bad weather ruin your day and the temperature is a constant 72 degrees. When I see fans sitting in Yankee Stadium or some other open stadiums in August sweating or taking cover from the rain, I appreciate the Trop even more. However, the two draw backs to the stadium is the roof of the stadium is a maze of wires and if a ball is hit high enough it becomes a challenge to determine whether it is a dead ball, fair ball, hit, etc. Also, the bull pen is out in the open so a player has to guard the backs of catchers who are warming up pitchers.

I have found the seats to be comfortable and the staff to be a delight. My mother-in-law is disabled and needs a wheel chair, oxygen, and a breathing treatment. The personnel at the Trop are caring folks who go out of their way to be helpful. We take her to one game a year and she loves the place - as do my wife and I.

The view from the seats is very good. I read some comments about high prices for food and drink. However, the individuals who made these comments obviously have not been to baseball stadiums in Minneapolis, LA, SF, NYC, Boston, Miami, Chicago, etc. The food and drink at the Trop are a bargain in comparison and, in my opinion, the quality is superior. Unlike comments by others I have found the restrooms to be clean and well supplied.

I can never understand why more fans don't support this team. I was a Yankee fan for years but really love the spirit of the Rays. A team with such a small salary budget produces great results.

If you can afford it, I recommend you experience the Bancroft Club at least once. There wine and beer is included as is food. The seats are a little high up but you have very comfortable seats. Similar seats in other stadiums have cost me 50 to 100% more. Once again, the personnel at the Club are superior.

Whenever the fans show up they are noisy and the roof can hold the noise in. But that's what baseball is all about. Can you guess I love the place? :)

Visited August 2012

Tampa, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“fantastic family fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

the Rays touch tank is a great way to get to know or team mascot up close and personal. most seats have a great view of the field and the jumbo screens take care of anything you might have missed live. A great value for a family outting!

Florida
“Great game”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Being a rays fan and being in Tampa for business for a few days, was lucky to see a Rays game and we won!!! Alwyas watch on TV but much better in person. Lot of action you do not see on TV

St. Petersburg, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Nice Field”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

It's a must visit when in St.Pete, you have to see a Rays game (Tampa Bay Rays baseball)! It's located in the downtown area.

“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Great stadium to visit for a ballgame. Airconditioning controls temperature during the game, which is very nice with temperatures over 80 in St Petersburg. Very easy to get to from the Interstate and parking was real easy. Nice shops and food stands, but you'll find that in every ballpark i assume. The seats were comfortable, but could use more legroom especially when you are taller.