“Nailed it...” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Georgia
“Nailed it...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My wife and I tried 5 beers, all of which were surprisingly pleasing to both of us, despite that we are more inclined to liquor. There must have been a dozen varieties; more than enough for many nights of variety. The staff was friendly, fast, and helpful in guiding our selections. As a nascent craft beer drinker, personal service helps take the difficulty out of ordering. Despite what the beer snobs out there might say, with the vast variety of european style beer brewing being infused with creative american approaches, a little guidance on what to order is almost always needed.

The setting is perfect. Baum Avenue still has a bit of an industrial feel which contrasts nicely with the beautiful lawn and lighting outside on Green Bench's lawn. There is really no excuse for other St. Pete places that don't allow for outside seating. Of course Green Bench does have inside seating, and with its easily 30 foot wide accordion windows, you still feel like you are outside. I've seen these at some brewpubs in Asheville and it works great at Green Bench.

In addition, there was a great bluegrass/french gypsy jazz group playing outside and a food truck that really had some high quality food. Unlike most bars, the band volume was at a level that allowed me to still talk to my friends. I'm about tired of being in bars where I'm just waiting for the set to end so we can converse again. Of course this might vary depending on the band style, but the night I was there it was perfect. There were a scattering of kids around as well, and we are planning to bring our kids with us on our next trip to GB.

• Visited December 2013

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Green Bench Brewing Company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is a great place to drink. Well done to the young entrepreneurs who have come up with something completely different. Just what is required in that Central avenue area. We went to the new bar at the beginning of October when the Tampa Bay Rays were in the postseason. Great atmosphere and very welcoming bar staff who let you have tasters before you try. We are from England so these kind of beers are what we are used to. So, please get yourself down there you will love it.
Will be back to the baseball and the brewery next season, can't wait!

• Visited October 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Venue, Sour Suds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I so wanted to love this place. Located in the up-and-coming Grand Central District, Green Bench is housed in an uber-cool old garage or something. Great industrial decor, warm and welcoming back yard area, groovy tunes, excellent wait staff.

It's like those letters to advice columnists ... "My boyfriend/husband is so great in every way -- kind, generous, funny, smart, caring, handsome, etc, but ... "

But the beer is barely potable. It's just wanky-tasting. I tried the IPA and the Saison and both made me make a funny face.

• Visited October 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Downtown St. Petersburg Taproom and Beer Garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I've visited nearly 100 taprooms all over the coutry during my travels. Green Bench Brewing Company, which opened on September 25, 2013, stands out as one of the best. This is a production brewery with an amazing taproom and 6,000 square foot beer garden. The taproom has enormous windows that look into the brewhouse on one side and out to Central Avenue with views of Tropicana Field on the other side. The taproom design maintains the feel of the building which is a 1920's era warehouse. The beer garden has a number of tables in a covered area and Adirondack chairs for patrons to sit out in the grass. Various lawn games were setup including bocce ball and cornhole. Families with young children were enjoying the outdoor space as well.

The beers are all freshly made on site. At this time there are are 5 beers on tap. As they continue to ramp up production, there will be 12 beers on tap. Small 4 ounce pours are available in flights of 4. I sampled all of the beers and was thrilled with the flavor and quality of all of them. I can't wait to try them as they release new beers.

No food is served in the taproom but several nearby restuarants will deliver to your table or to the bar. A cuban sandwich shop across the street was doing brisk business with patrons bringing their sandwiches back to the taproom to enjoy with their beer.

Green Bench should be a stop on everyone's list when the are in St. Petersburg!

• Visited September 2013