“Great place a little off the beaten path” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 744 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Local burger restaurant. Large bar, beer and wine only. Won best burger Tampa bay 2013
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Great place a little off the beaten path”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My fave burger is the "One Bad Pig". Delicious. The sweet potato fries and wings are killer too. I generally like to go with a friend and then share meals. Really, everything on the menu I have had is delicious.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Valrico, Florida
“Mmm Mmm Good,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Recently got to check Engine 9 off my " To Eat " list and it was well worth it. My date and I each got a burger ( then swapped halves, so as to each sample the deliciousness) "One Bad Pig" - garlic pork , mustard braised onions, white cheddar and pancetta. The other Burger was "The Wino"- Red Wine Bbq sauce, white cheddar, bacon, fried onions. Both burgers were similar but different in subtle ways . good beers on tap, and sweet potato fries that felt more like dessert.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Fla.
“Better in concept than execution”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

So, for the past week or so, the word on the street is that Engine No. 9 is THE new hotspot for burgers in St. Pete, so the wife and I stopped by today. And at 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon, they definitely had a good business going.

But, you know the old saying about getting only one chance to make a first impression? Well, our impression was: average. But, based on the menu, there's a definite chance for improvement.

The menu listings, for the most part, are glorious and tempting. I won't list everything here, but if I do go back, I could definitely see ordering the sandwich with foie gras and duck "krackling." But I do have to ding them for not offering any kid of chicken sandwich or turkey burger. Go ahead and serve fancy burgers all you want, but remember that not everyone (like my wife) wants all that red meat.

I started with a bowl of gumbo ($6.95), a thick concoction of chicken and sausage and spices that could easily serve as a meal. The sausage was the standout ingredient in the bowl, making me wish they would serve a sandwich highlighting that sausage.

I had the "black flag," ($9.95) which had Cajun seasonings, blackened, pepperjack cheese and fire-roasted red peppers topped over an 8-ounce patty. I saw the cheese and the red peppers, but this was not a hot or spicy burger. In fact, it was kind of wimpy. It definitely wasn't blackened. In fact, one side of the burger was cooked only along the edges, with the middle of the patty being decidedly pale.

My wife had the "blue ahi," ($14.95) which is pan-seared ahi, with wasabi aioli, pickled ginger and an Asian slaw, a far better choice than my burger, but at $14.95, a higher price point then I normally want to spend for lunch.

Both sandwiches came with a choice of sides. I had the tater tots (tasty, but I don't think they were made fresh in the restaurant) and she had the sweet potato fries. The only other choices were "thin-cut pencil fries" or a cucumber salad, which seemed out of place considering the rest of the menu.

Service today matched the food: average, and now that I think about it, below average. What started out as great attention by our server turned into a feeling that we were being ignored. When our food was delivered, the server asked if we wanted anything else and she suggested the chipotle mayo. We never saw here again until the end of our meal, with no mention of the mayo. She never stopped by to ask how our meals were. We had both finished half of our drinks by the time we got our food, and we were never offered a refill until our dishes were taken away.

Despite the flaws, we'll try it again. Engine No. 9 is a relatively new place and it takes time to work out the kinks. But they only have one more chance to make us happy. I hope they do.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fuel your engine here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We hoofed it a mile on a local's review to check out this "gastro pub" and were rewarded. The beer was good and cheap (I think it was 2 for 1 at 8:00 on a weeknight.) Menu is geared for the carnivore, but fish eaters will be happy too. We had a shrimp burger with some dynamic sauce and first rate sweet potato fries. There were a lot of great looking menu options that I'd go back for. Meant to invoke a fire station, this place wasn't a romantic dining experience, but it was laid back, friendly, and worth the walk.

Visited April 2013
St. Petersburg, FL
“Great Find in St. Pete”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Slightly off the main drag in downtown St. Pete, but well worth going off strip a little bit. Excellent decor and atmosphere. Restaurant was full when we arrived so we sat near the bar - got great service from the bartender. Selection of burgers was excellent - great flavors and combinations. Even my uber picky wife found several she was interested in. My burger ended up being huge - I was stuffed when I left - not bad for a $10 meal. Two days prior I had spent $15 on a gourmet burger from another place and I left hungry. Will definitely come back. Nice that it's off the main drag a bit because they have ample parking behind the building. Glad I found this place.

• Visited March 2013