“Felt Like Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Veranda Bed & Breakfast

You added La Veranda Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
La Veranda Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   111 5th Avenue North, St. Petersburg, FL 33701   |
“Felt Like Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Can't say enough good things about Nancy and staff. My niece found this place for us for my husband birthday. It was close to town yet you never realized that. Our room was more than we expected two bedrooms. a large sitting room, private bath. Tastefully down in the old style of a older home.. Nancy weekend breakfast could never be found in any motels or hotels. I want her recipe for the wonderful french toast with pineapple this was so good it could be a dessert as well. Found out Leo liked milk and he got that every morning. It's these little things that count. Loved her wrap around porch and all the sitting chairs and loungers for our use. weather bad but, she couldn't control that still able to use the front porch to eat. Will go back with my niece and nephew that recommended this. Thanks Nancy for a lovely weekend we will remember always with joy and love.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Queens loved it. Had stairs to climb but, worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were able to get a room here for a couple of nights last minute to visit some friends in the area. Very happy overall and reasonably priced.

Great location downtown with easy access to restaurants, parks, waterfront, museums, etc. Easy access off of highway and it was nice to be able to walk to wherever we needed to go.

Nancy and Jay (innkeepers) make you feel right at home as soon as you arrive. Very friendly, helpful and easy to talk to. Breakfast wasn't gourmet but was tasty.

If you're looking for a five star Victorian mansion, this is not the place. Some areas could use a little work. But if you're looking for a clean, comfortable place in St. Pete with excellent hosts, La Veranda is worth a stay. Rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms. Try to find a pet free room unless you're traveling with a pet. The pe...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Jay and Nancy are great owners and have made La Veranda a place you are person not just a room #. I was in town for medical treatment and my was mother with me. Nancy could not have been more accommodating or genuinely concerned in our well being. For Example, We were in a suite upstairs originally but with in about 2days my mom hurt her back, when Jay saw her painful accent up the stairs we were offered a downstairs room and they also move our luggage for us! Nancy also was able to get mom an appoint with her Doctor the next day! There was no Fuss either thats just how Nancy rolls! No wonder I met people at breakfast that were regular guest at la Veranda when in St. Petersburg. The house is historic and nicely renovated and the location can't be beat your with in minutes of everything. Ill be back as so many others will too! Thanks Jay and Nancy

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
dwight illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the La Veranda multiple times, and I must say that there isn't a single thing that I would change. The location is wonderfully close to all of the attractions in downtown St Pete. The home is furnished with beautiful antiques and is decorated with such elegant taste. The porches are very large and inviting, and with the lush landscaping you feel like you are on a Caribbean Island! The shinning asset of La Veranda, however is Nancy. She truly makes you feel at home, is an expert on the St Petersburg area, and is a wonderful conversationalist. She makes each and every guest feel like they are the only guest that she will be taking care of. Her breakfasts are a tasty delight, and a wonderful start to your day. I can't think of another place to stay while in St Pete and you will not be disappointed with your choice of La Veranda. Thanks, Nancy for another fabulous stay! We hope to see you soon:)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Awful experience, unfriendly staff, horrible place to stay. I would advise finding a different hotel/B&B to stay for your vacation. Please heed my advise and save yourself some regret by not staying here. For me, the worst place to stay in St. Pete.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
LaVeranda111, Owner at La Veranda Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
I have checked my records of recent guests and a Sally M. from St. Louis, Missouri has NOT staye with us. When this was written, the house next door to me rents rooms on AirBNB and a guest
of theirs parked across our driveway. Unfortunately, our guests could not enter or exit our parking lot so the police ticketed the vehicle and had it towed. To the very best of my knowledge this person did not stay at our B&B.
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've never ever felt more welcome or enjoyed staying in any place throughout my travels in and out of the US. As it turned out, the 1st time I stayed here I showed up without a reservation & Nancy went out of her way to accommodate me & made me feel welcome.

LOCATION: Absolutely incredible even if you don't have a car.
Within 5-10 mins on foot you can be down at the water or at the heart of downtown St Pete where you'll find great food, ice cream & even dairy free gelato. There are some great shops as well (I now have a favorite shoe store here.)

I've stayed in 3 different rooms and all were incredibly spacious and all with King sized beds. 2 out of the 3 have sitting rooms on top of the spacious bedroom.
- I've found each room to:
1. Be very quiet
2. Have very good air conditioning
3. Have comfortable beds with an abundance of pillows
4. Have a calming effect as it feels so much more like home than the hotels.

AMBIENCE:
It's amazing what Nancy and Jay have created here. From the luscious palm trees, plants all around, and multiple garden fountains, I find it to be incredibly calming, quiet with a great sense of privacy. I also love the fact that I can sit out on the Veranda to work or read even on those occasions when it is raining.

INTERNET:
The internet connection here is very good. I have a internet based business & I've found that the internet connection is very fast, in fact just as fast as my fiber optic internet service at home. And it's very reliable!

SERVICE: On a scale of 1-5 I'd have to rate it at a 10.
Seriously... Nancy and Jay have repeatedly gone way out of their way to not only accommodate me, but they even went out and bought me gluten free bread so that I'd have it for breakfast.

Nancy has so many great connections in St Pete. She made an appointment for me with one of her doctors and I was blown away by how amazing he is.

The breakfasts here are very good and each day they make something different (i.e. eggs, french toast) and sitting out on the veranda is just heavenly. It seems that Nancy attracts a lot of wonderful, talented and friendly guests and I've found it very enjoyable and fun to share a table with them at breakfast. (A few times, by choice, I've sat by myself.).
- And on the chilly mornings breakfast was enjoyed in their very spacious dining room.

-------------------
What's really awesome is that I've referred many people to La Veranda and they've all loved staying here and said they'd come back, even one of my friends who usually prefers staying in a hotel.

To sum it all up, let me say this.. If you're coming to St Pete on business and/or pleasure, you'll be one of the lucky ones if you're able to get a reservation at La Veranda.

Marion

Room Tip: I've enjoyed each of the rooms I've stayed in.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

my partner and i have stayed at La Veranda 8 times in the past 3 yrs never ever had a problem with anything. Probably why we keep returning cats are great nancy is amazing best host ever will be back in april for mainsail

Room Tip: You are on vacation EAT healthy is for at home
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Veranda Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!