“Writing this from the front porch...SECOND STAY!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Veranda Bed & Breakfast

You added La Veranda Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
La Veranda Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   111 5th Avenue North, St. Petersburg, FL 33701   |
Ocala, Florida, United States
“Writing this from the front porch...SECOND STAY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We came to La Veranda about two months ago because we were looking for a place we could bring our dog to Fort de Soto dog beach. Nancy (the owner) was just super, really easy and accommodating. She graciously loaned us her beach umbrella for the day. The location of the place is just perfect and she made our stay so nice, so we are now back for our second stay to take our dog to the beach and have a perfect little mini-vacation in awesome St. Petersburg! Thanks Nancy and plan on seeing us again. :) I recommend this place to anyone, especially if you have a dog and/or are just looking for a lovely place to stay...with a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Clearwater, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had a friend coming in from out of town for the weekend and we wanted to spend time in Downtown St Pete while he was here. I had never heard of this place and just kind of stumbled across it- I was frantically searching for a hotel near downtown so we could just park the car and walk or cab it to wherever we wanted to go- everywhere was either booked or way overpriced. Some friends and I were driving through St Pete in search of a little B&B and I spotted La Veranda. It was like stepping out of downtown and straight into the Keys. Lush greenery everywhere, huge wrap around porches and balcony, comfortable and well shielded places outside to kick back, relax and enjoy the weather. I didn't make it to breakfast in the morning, but my friend did and came back raving about the stuffed french toast and how great all the food and service was. Owners are very accomodating and friendly. I would recommend this place to anyone. While it isn't your typical "hotel" with all the accomodations- gym, pool, room service, etc-I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Amazing experience!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed here for a lovely 3 day escape to St. Petersburg. The location can't beat, just a few blocks from the bay and from 275. Not far to the main beaches or Ft. DeSoto either. Three lovely cats lounge around the deck and provide for a fun distraction during breakfast. The owners are welcoming and cheery, always eager to please. We stayed in the Garden Room. The room itself was HUGE, very clean, and tactfully decorated. The bed was comfy (with a fun canopy surrounding it) and the shower was gorgeously tiled and nice and big. The outside patio was nice and private but nothing too inviting. Will definitely be back and would recommend it to anyone. Window A/C which we had to run most of the time (in August) but it did keep it plenty cool--not at all a problem for us but just an FYI if you are bothered by this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is the second time I've been at this bed and breakfast, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The owner is a very charismatic woman, and I always enjoy talking with her. The house has a very homey feel to it, and I love the decorations that are put up during the holidays.

There is a wide option available for rooms on both the bottom and top floors, although my preference is the garage apartment. The breakfast is tasty, and I like that I can enjoy my coffee outside on the porch. The landscaping is very well done too.

The location is in perfect walking distance to go downtown or the pier. There are a lot of restaurants and shops around along with a dog park.

I plan to come down again during the winter and look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

La Veranda offers a unique experience into old world charm from a bi-gone era.

Located in downtown St Pete it is very convenient to a variety of activities. The service, accommodations, amenities, price and value are a winning combination in my book.

I especially enjoy the attention to detail which is given to each stay. As a repeat client, I am always looking forward to staying in this home away from home atmosphere which makes travel on the road more enjoyable.

Thank you for being so consistent and attentive to my needs.

Room Tip: Book early and add an extra night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I were very disappointed with this B and B. In all this is our third experience at a B and B and found this experience to be less than we were expecting. My first impression was poor and at first arrival I was wishing to leave and find other accommodations. We decided to stick it out, and all in all I'm glad we did.

The Good
The house is unique and does have much charm. Evidently it was an old hotel from years ago and the rooms enter from the outside. The house has a very welcoming porch that spans the 1/2 the home. I was able to find my 'spot' and enjoyed many hours of reading over the length of our stay. The home is also located very close to the downtown area and my wife and I walked to everything we did (The Salvador Dali museum is probably the farthest attraction in the area at about 1 mile away). There was a great green market on Saturday that was great, lots of natural foods and crafts.

The Bad
The home is in need of TLC and major updating. At first arrival our room assignment was to the wrong room, b/c upon opening the door we found ourselves in an occupied room (awkward). Evidently the gentleman made a mistake. We then got our key and were fine (actually hesitant to write this b/c mistakes happen and we didn't hold this against them, but it was a part of our experience). When we walked into our room it had a stale smell and the room was under-cooled at arrival--this really made me want to leave. I was surprised that the home didn't have central air. After a few hours we figured out how to optimize the a/c. It felt gross to walk into. The porch outside is a major negative. I love porches but found this one to have many negatives. 1. The porch is awkward to walk on b/c it's actually a roof with indoor/outdoor carpet which coupled with several cats is gross. 2. Cats, cats are not lovely animals to have around and not everyone feels comfortable with them walking around in your space. At breakfast they were too comfortable being close to our food. 3. Window unit a/c's blow hot air onto the porch, not a welcoming scene.

Last thoughts
Overall the place ended up fitting our needs. We will not come back in the future. The breakfast was 'meh' nothing to write home about. One reviewer said a step above ihop--pretty accurate. The price was within our budget, but will attempt to find nicer accommodations in the future. I hope this ramble is helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you don't like old Florida charm, this place isn't for you. But if you appreciate the feel of a place with the ambiance of times gone by, this is it - complete with 3 friendly cats who will welcome you on their own terms. Rooms are large and uniquely furnished, and the appointments remind you of the "old days."
La Veranda is truly an experience, reminiscent of the laid back Key West "islands" attitude - the best single adjective to describe it is "authentic." Breakfast is made to order, nicely prepared and presented, with the option of being inside in an antiques-furnished dining room or outside on the veranda. Yes, really outside!
Decor is eclectic - no upscale decorator had a hand in collecting or placing the artifacts placed throughout the the entire house. Conversation pieces abound on the verandas where you may relax in a rocking chair, and pat a Hemingway-pawed cat. This was our second stay with these nice people. The only downside I can think of is handicap-access needs. You'd want to call and explain your needs, as this is NOT modern construction by any stretch.
If you're looking for another commercial hotel, La Veranda isn't for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to La Veranda Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!