“Rudest Owner Ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Veranda Bed & Breakfast

Save Saved
You added La Veranda Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
La Veranda Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   111 5th Avenue North, St. Petersburg, FL 33701   |
Tampa, Florida
“Rudest Owner Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I usually don't write reviews, but I feel compelled to warn people about this place. While the location is great and within walking distance of downtown St Pete the owner is the most inhospitable person in hospitality I have ever encountered. You would have thought we were squatters on her land and an inconvenience to her the way she handled herself.

First there was the pet issue. It says on the website that they love animals and to bring your pets free of charge. In person she saw our 5 pound dog and immediately got huffy because some rooms apparently don't allow dogs. We were in one of the suites and quite frankly the carpet was trashed beyond belief that I'm not sure what our little potty trained travel dog could have done to it. Then she refused to clean our rooms because of it, fine, but she could have at least left fresh towels or a garbage so we could empty our trash.

The thing that angered us the most is that we were in town for a wedding and the entire place had been rented out. After the wedding a handful of people stayed up on the veranda and hung out. Yes they left the chairs scattered about and some things out and misplaced, but the place was all wedding guests so we wouldn't ruin anyone else's experience. The owner calls the grooms parents at 7:30am the morning after their sons wedding in tears over the state of her porch and they come running over to clean up. It took 10 minutes for three people to deal with. I understand taking up an issue with the people who rented the place but at least talk to them later in the day and in private. Then she almost refused to serve those who were awake breakfast because she was disgusted by the rudeness. Those who were awake had not been out the night before and there were 4 young children in the bunch. We were all horrified.

Part of the fun of a B and B are beautiful rooms and great service. While some of the rooms are well kept and pretty, it's not the experience you'd expect. You're better off and will most likely receive better treatment at a motel for less money.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This B&B is wonderful. The location is great if you prefer the downtown area to the beach area. My partner and I had the perfect getaway (from NYC) in this quiet B&B. The innkeeper is very quick witted and nice, albeit a bit short with her staff. We requested no room service for our entire stay and she remembered and didn't interrupt our stay.

What to expect: basic accommodations, a sweet house cat or two, a short walk to the pier, a long bus ride to the beach, very bright (tacky?) colors, that "home away from home" feel

What not to expect: luxury, pristine maintenance, an easy trip to st pete beach, amazing breakfast

We honestly had the best vacation together, here. So I really would recommend coming into it with the right mindset so you can really enjoy your stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights and had a very good experience. The rate was reasonable, the innkeeper was very nice, and the cat didn't attack me. Very good breakfast and within walking distance of downtown.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I don't know why this place was rated excellent by anyone. I know the place is old, but that doesn't have anything to do with cleanliness. The shower was filthy. I don't think it had been cleaned in months. Soap scum (I think, it was red in color) was all over the walls. Old soap residue in the shower buddy that was turning brown. I bought a mat so my feet wouldn't touch the bottom.

I stayed in Windsor. Dust was so bad, I almost left in the middle of the night. Dust on walls, around bed, on blue sheet above bed, and ceiling fans and old furnace. Walls with yellow spots. I felt like something was biting my arms and legs when I was sitting on the blue sofa. There was a cat that kept trying to follow us into the room. Stained carpet. I left early the next morning. Worst sleep ever. I couldnt take it. There was a porch but couldn't sit on it because it was so hot and the window ac was blowing even more hot air onto it. I have stayed in a lot of places. This was just unbelievable. First time in st. Pete and may never stay in this town again. We ended up in clearwater at holiday inn express. They were a savior because that let us check in early so we could sleep.

• Stayed August 2012
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a short mini-vacation in St. Petersburg. We enjoyed La Veranda very much and would recommend it. The location is excellent, we were a short walk from the waterfront and many restaurant choices for dinner. Our room was quaint and comfortable. It was nice to have a sitting room in addition to the bedroom. The staff was very nice and accommodating, offering us suggestions and advice for our daily activities. It was nice to be served a hot breakfast every morning and it was always delicious. Overall, a very pleasant vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The owner is very artistic so the surroundings display all sorts of pictures, ceramics, colorful objects and lovely shrubs/flowers. The home is large, 12 rooms and a guest has access to a wraparound porch, a living room and a large dining room which is used for dining if the weather is not cooperating for dining. Even though it is a large place, it is very quiet for sleeping and relaxation.

A guest is made to feel welcome and receives lots of attention.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are probably the best for people who do not wish to navigate the staircase.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this B&B twice for several days at a time. There is good and bad:

The good:
- Good price point
- Excellent location to downtown (walking distance)
- Rooms are a nice size
- Off street parking
The Bad:
- Our room was not clean nor was our room serviced during our stay. Excuse was cleaning lady was out sick. Upon the second stay, no excuse given. We cleaned the bathroom ourselves.
- Breakfast was not very good and no healthy options available

Bottom line - we will not stay here again. If you can overlook the cleanliness, the price and location are great!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Veranda Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!