“A must visit while in St Petersburg, FL” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: History Museums, Museums
Jasper, Indiana
10 attraction reviews
“A must visit while in St Petersburg, FL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Passing through St. Petersburg on our way to a wedding on Captiva Island, we decided to spend the day and night here and take in some sights. My husband and I are history buffs. He especially is an avid reader about WWll so it was a must stop. I had read about how interesting it was, and we weren't disappointed. One must stay long enough for the guided tour. Our docent was a seasoned tour guide, but was wonderful enough to include us in his tour. Within an hour, a visitor walks away with almost the whole story and experience. Great!

Tampa, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Very educational, but could greatly benefit from more artifacts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

It goes without saying that the museum's mission and subject are absolutely worthy of your interest and visit. This review is about my experience at this particular holocaust museum. I very much enjoyed our visit, but my significant other did not. I have to drag him to cultural attractions as it is, and this trip caused a fight because he was ready to leave several hours before I was. The museum is packed with information, and I learned a lot about the conditions which lead up to the holocaust, but most of the info is presented in words rather than through artifacts. That's not too much of a problem for me, but my partner did not like the format at all.

I live far away from Florida's big cities, and I always want to explore everything an attraction has to offer because it's usually a 2-3 hour drive and I don't know when I'll be able to see them again, if ever. As I mentioned, there are very few artifacts in the museum and there's a lot of reading/audio tour listening to do. Everything I read and heard was interesting, but it took a very long time.

Artifacts could have been absorbed more quickly and would have better kept my partner's interest. I wish I'd gone by myself, but that wasn't possible. For those with children and partners who are less than thrilled by museums, I'd advise you to leave them at home so you can enjoy the museum at your leisure. It's absolutely worth it if you've got the time and patience to fully experience it.

newjersey
24 attraction reviews
“VERY SOBERING EXPERIENCE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Everyone should visit to remind us how unbelievably barbaric humans can be. And it continues to this day (Sudan) while the world idly sits by. Exhibit is mostly photos, but to view the boxcar is surreal.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
“Wonderful Hommage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Here we find a very telling portrayal and exhibition of events surrounding the Holocaust. It is represented in a tasteful yet gripping fashion in a sober and dignified decor. The museum uses a variety of audio, video and hands-on displays including eyewitness, victims and survivors recounting. A large quantity of artifacts along with contextual historical explanations retell the sad events of History leading up to, during and Post- World War II.
In addition, on the second and third floor, you will find artist's collections rendering the Holocaust events through paintings, woodcarvings and fabric art. The largest object on exhibit is a boxcar used to transport those arrested. There is also a small room for meditation and reflection which includes a Wall of Lamentations.
Count at least an hour or more to see it all. It is quite suitable for children as well as adults. Highly recommended!

Visited September 2012
spring hill
3 attraction reviews
“.... So you never forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I am so glad I went to this museum! I am not a big fan of history, however, I felt this was important. It was very moving and extremely impressive. Many exhibits with audio. The box car makes the reality set in. Allow the time to truly experience this museum. And don't hesitate to go because you feel it will be too sad. Educate yourselves so you can educate your children. You won't regret having gone!

Visited December 2011