“We thought this place was great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of KOA St Petersburg / Madeira Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Petersburg
KOA St Petersburg / Madeira Beach
5400 95th St North, St. Petersburg, FL 33708   |
Ft Myers
“We thought this place was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

After reading some of the negative reviews, I noticed many were from 2-3 years ago. I guess "that was then, this is now". We stayed there this past weekend and it was awesome! While it was explained that they are doing a lot of improvements to the sites and common areas, we thought it was already pretty nice. The management and staff were terrific. The General Manager, Lori, asked us how everything was every time she saw us, even making rounds on a golf cart to visit campers and make sure everything was good. The rest of the staff was very helpful, as well. The camp store was well stocked & reasonably priced. The selection of amenities was vast - canoe/kayak rentals, bike rentals, miniature golf, fishing dock, heated pool, hot tub laundry facilities, firewood, propane, and much more. Our only regret - That we had not taken Monday off work and couldn't extend our stay another night!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
minneapolis, mn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

I have always liked KOA when traveling as usually it is a good bargain for camping on occasion, as a reliable stand-by for certain amenities, even though it is usually a little more expensive than a state park. This location was a horrible value, a tent site was $66 which I normally would not pay but it had been a long day of driving and then fighting traffic so we bit the bullet and stayed anyway. HUGE mistake. Would not have been so bad except we needed showers in the morning and there was NO hot water OR water pressure in the whole bathhouse nearest to us. There were six shower stalls and we tried 4 of them before giving up and just taking showers in what tiny bit of cold water trickled from the showerheads. We packed up to check out by 11am and mentioned to the front desk the issue with the showers. The unsympathetic lady there casually said, well you should've tried the other bathhouse over on another side of the campground (not anywhere close to the tent camping). She said she thought "they were working on the plumbing/pipes at our bathhouse". It would have been nice if signs of some sort could have been posted regarding this issue, but I have a feeling it was an ongoing issue and they just didn't care very much.

Not much else to be done at this stage and I didn't see any point in arguing at the time, so I emailed KOA at their corporate email shortly afterwards, and they didn't seem to care very much either. So I will definitely reconsider ever staying again at a KOA. And this one is highly NOT recommended. Florida has many beautiful state and national forests/camps and I never had a poor experience at any of them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Reserved a tent site. We got there and its basically a patch of grass next to a parking lot. Ive never stayed at KOA before so maybe they are all like that. I wasnt expecting deep wilderness but it felt like camping in my front yard. We left immediately and went to a nearby state park to camp.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Ocala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

My husband, son (14) and his friend stayed in this KOA this weekend and I will never go back. We rented a cabin they called the Dolphin. The pictures on the website are decieving. For the price I paid I expected to have a beautiful roomy cabin. When we got there the first red flag was the $100 key deposit, I had just forked out over $400 for the cabin itself, for three nights and they charged me a "deposit" for the key. I felt like they had me against the wall since we were already there and the kids were eager to get out of the car. Then the cabin turned out to be very small having the double bed right out in the main living quarters ( forget the adults having any fun). The next morning we woke up to no hot water. After we told the staff they quickly came down and pointed out the switch on the wall that turns the hot water heater on. I don't guess the lady at the front desk could've mentioned that. However that still didn't fix the problem and when we went down to the office to report it again they practically called me a liar and laughed in my face when I asked if we could be moved or given a discount if the problem couldn't be fixed. a couple of hours later we came back to find they had fixed the problem and the weekend went a little smoother from there. Until, that is, we turned the key in and expected them to refund our $100 deposit. Kitty, the same woman who checked us in and told me I'll get the money back when I turn in the key, explained that it takes 8 to 10 days to get it back on your card. That was the icing on the cake. Beware campers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I was stupid enough to think that a KOA log cabin for $110./night (tax incl.) would have some sheets and blankets included for this price. The home page never mentioned that the cabin is only equipped with plastic-covered mattresses--no water, no toilet, no chairs--unbelieveable!
It had electricity, although. After checking out the paid-in-advance cabin in the afternoon, we returned again to sleep at 10pm in our heaviest clothing and woke up again freezing at 6am to leave the park permanently the next morning. We drove to McDonalds to warm up for the next two hours before arriving at the beach to start our day.
Just a closing note: Why do people pay $70./night to hook up their trailers there? All they are getting is an electricity, water and sewerage connection. Hotels with complete infrastructure are cheaper.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Pros - easy driving distance to the beach, on the Pinellas Trail ( for cyclists, joggers/walkers)

Cons - pricey for short term stays, primarily caters to longer term stays/snowbirds, exists in a electronic black hole - no cable, lousy antenna reception (ABC ok, CBS rarely, NBC & FOX never), lousy satellite radio reception, $$$$$ for even worse Internet access (3rd party - Nomad, no support, no service), so-called "waterfront" sites on mangrove swamp with no view/access to water, cold "hot" tubs, no landscaping maintenance

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Two friends and I camped at one of the tent sites at the far end of the campground. Our view next to the bay was beautiful; the mangroves stood out at the edge of our site and waking up to the scene of the wildlife on the bay was great. Also, the employees were very friendly and ready to help us with any questions we had about the surrounding Saint Petersburg area. We did not get a chance to experience the pool, but we did get to canoe one day for an extremely reasonable rate. I would suggest this campground to anyone who was traveling to the area!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to KOA St Petersburg / Madeira Beach? Share your experiences!