“staying at Ponce de Leon” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Dayton, Ohio
“staying at Ponce de Leon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times before, and will again. The big draw (a tie) is LOCATION and THE STAFF. Can't get any more centrally located, and the staff is more than friendly. I know all of them by name, and they always remember me. The rooms are small, and minimally furnished-- more than adequate. When I come back, I feel like I'm coming home. There's a computer available to all on the mezzanine, which is handy, and wi-fi in the rooms if you bring your own. Also a laundry room on the third floor, and vending machines.
Near restaurants. A very nice place.

Room Tip: Just show up, you'll be welcomed. (call first for reservation!)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Franklin, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I don't know where the negative reviewed stayed, but I feel it was a completely different hotel. The Ponce De Leon is a beautiful little place. The first night I checked in my flight had been delayed 2 hours but the staff was totally cool about it, and had all of my check in stuff ready. I was settled in within moments of arriving. From that point on, I had nothing but amazing service. The one thing I feel people haven't taken into account is the age of the building as well as the fact this is not some swanky, 5 star hotel. For its age, the hotel has been kept up very well. The decor is more modern, and after a thorough check I was pleased to find the room pristinely clean. Maid service even mopped(the rooms have wood floors, which is a breath of fresh air to disgusting carpet commonly found) during their daily cleanings. The location of the building is fantastic . I was able to walk anywhere in St Pete. As far as amenities, there is room for improvement. The only weird things I noticed missing was a microwave in the room and a box of tissues would have been nice. The bed was extremely comfortable, the first night i stayed i was a little disappointed in the pillows but I had failed to realize a very fluffy, soft pillow was stored in the closet along with a pillow top/comforter that only added to the comfort of the bed. The staff, once again was incredibly friendly and helpful. I'm sure I seemed incredibly needy, but they definitely at least tried to fulfill any requests I had, and were very knowledgable, recommending restaurants, activities, etc. I wouldn't hesitate recommending anyone stay here, as I have had nothing but amazing service. Just retro remember this isn't an overpriced, brand new building.

• Stayed March 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located in a walking distance to the Dali Museum, restaurants, bars and shops. Service was friendly and efficient. The room was clean and offered all the amenities I needed during my stay. Every time I ate at Ceviche (the restaurant from the hotel) the food was excellent and the ambiance very inviting.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night just to experience downtown St Pete at a reasonable price. We were pleased with our choice. We had a fifth floor corner room that was clean and well decorated. Guests need to be aware that the hotel does not have parking. The metered street parking in front of the hotel is free from Friday evening through 9 am on Monday, so that worked for our stay.

St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

What A Disgusting Dump! DIrty Rooms and A staff that didnt care.First Room they gave us had no running water. After they got water running it was orange from all the rust.Next room had water but it never got hot. You have to pay for all the parking and it gets very expensive.I dont know what ST. Pete inspectors are looking at but they must have really LOW STANDARDS. This was suppose to be a nice getaway for me and my girlfriend and it would have been ruined if we stayed there at the PONCE Disgusting HOTEL. WE bagged A_ _! out of that dump.Avoid this place if you want a comfortable and clean place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in another Hotel would be the best room
Tralee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was mildly nervous of staying here after reading some of the reviews, but found it to be much nicer than some reviews suggested. My 3rd floor room was clean, well decorated and the bed was very comfortable. Although I was above the street I had no problem with noise and - as a foreign tourist only in town for 5 days - I found the central location to be just excellent. The lack of pool or breakfast facilities is reflected in the price and didn't bother me at all, there are excellent breakfast joints just a few steps from the door. I have to say I found the staff to be exceptionally helpful and courteous. It is true that the corridor area on my floor needed some refurbishment, but there was no dirt, the lift worked well and all the other guests I met seemed as happy and relaxed as I was myself in this Hotel. My bathroom was small but the shower was more than adequate, and bathroom and room were spotlessly clean when I returned each evening. I would not hesitate to stay at the Ponce de Leon on a return visit to St. Pete. All of the Downtown attractions are very close by and the 'Looper' bus service takes you to all of them for only 50 cents. The Spanish Tapas restaurant next to the Hotel is very nice - though I tended to go further afield for dinner. This Hotel is a St. Pete original - the building goes back to 1922 and has character and charm. If you can forgo a pool and don't mind going round the corner for breakfast and if you want great value and a clean and comfortable bed in the centre of Downtown St. Pete, then the Ponce de Leon is the place for you

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
PonceDeLeonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Ponce De Leon Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Bruin,
Appreciate the feedback, thank you for letting us know how we are doing. Since you last stayed with us, we have started renovations to the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd floors. So, we heard your suggestion.

Thank you again.
Gainesville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked a room overlooking the pier for a Saturday night in order to see a concert. Although we typically book at Marriott hotels, we found that our room was quite spacious, simple, and quaint. Luxurious it was not, but adequate for our needs. It seems as if our experience with the hotel vastly differs from those who have previously submitted reviews. There was no issues with the hot water. In fact, the shower took a few seconds to warm up and then produced a moderately powerful flow. The water stayed warm for the duration of my shower. My only issue was that the hot and cold fixtures were mixed up, but it was a simple solution. The bed was slightly squeeky, but comfortable. The hardwood floors were nice also. Aside from the poor painting jobs on the hallway walls, the hotel was nice.

Room Tip: Very spacious room that overlooks the pier is worth the slight cost increase.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!