“Wonderful location and price” 4 of 5 stars

Ponce De Leon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   95 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33701   |
Ranked #26 of 47 hotels in St. Petersburg
Kentucky
“Wonderful location and price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night just to experience downtown St Pete at a reasonable price. We were pleased with our choice. We had a fifth floor corner room that was clean and well decorated. Guests need to be aware that the hotel does not have parking. The metered street parking in front of the hotel is free from Friday evening through 9 am on Monday, so that worked for our stay.

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I almost cancelled my reservation here after reading some particularly harsh reviews here on trip advisor. I took a chance on this hotel and I'm glad I did. It's positioned as a "boutique" hotel, but the only boutique elements I could identify were the decor and somewhat unusual design sensibility, paint colors etc.. The bed was comfortable and I slept like a baby. The bathroom was microscopic, but acceptable (you can lean your head on the sink when you sit on the John!). It's in need of a refresh but at $99 for a weeknight on Beach Drive in St. Petersburg, above the most happening restaurant and a very short walk from six other fantastic restaurants, what more can you ask for? The staff was friendly and accommodating. The shower was hot and they provided BOTH shampoo and conditioner. Choose a room that ends on 1 to get a view of the ocean! I wouldn't stay here on a romantic weekend because you don't want to share a bathroom that tiny, but for a brief stay on business or a quick getaway it's a good value for the price - especially if the location matters to you as it did to me.

The, across the street at a garage parking, was annoying but really, so what? I need a little walk once in a while. I suspect some of the more scathing reviews here had an axe to grind... I found it to be an acceptable, if unremarkable, affordable stay.

Higher floors on weekend night avoid the street noise. City quiets down by 11 pm.

• Stayed March 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

What A Disgusting Dump! DIrty Rooms and A staff that didnt care.First Room they gave us had no running water. After they got water running it was orange from all the rust.Next room had water but it never got hot. You have to pay for all the parking and it gets very expensive.I dont know what ST. Pete inspectors are looking at but they must have really LOW STANDARDS. This was suppose to be a nice getaway for me and my girlfriend and it would have been ruined if we stayed there at the PONCE Disgusting HOTEL. WE bagged A_ _! out of that dump.Avoid this place if you want a comfortable and clean place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in another Hotel would be the best room
Tralee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was mildly nervous of staying here after reading some of the reviews, but found it to be much nicer than some reviews suggested. My 3rd floor room was clean, well decorated and the bed was very comfortable. Although I was above the street I had no problem with noise and - as a foreign tourist only in town for 5 days - I found the central location to be just excellent. The lack of pool or breakfast facilities is reflected in the price and didn't bother me at all, there are excellent breakfast joints just a few steps from the door. I have to say I found the staff to be exceptionally helpful and courteous. It is true that the corridor area on my floor needed some refurbishment, but there was no dirt, the lift worked well and all the other guests I met seemed as happy and relaxed as I was myself in this Hotel. My bathroom was small but the shower was more than adequate, and bathroom and room were spotlessly clean when I returned each evening. I would not hesitate to stay at the Ponce de Leon on a return visit to St. Pete. All of the Downtown attractions are very close by and the 'Looper' bus service takes you to all of them for only 50 cents. The Spanish Tapas restaurant next to the Hotel is very nice - though I tended to go further afield for dinner. This Hotel is a St. Pete original - the building goes back to 1922 and has character and charm. If you can forgo a pool and don't mind going round the corner for breakfast and if you want great value and a clean and comfortable bed in the centre of Downtown St. Pete, then the Ponce de Leon is the place for you

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
PonceDeLeonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Ponce De Leon Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Bruin,
Appreciate the feedback, thank you for letting us know how we are doing. Since you last stayed with us, we have started renovations to the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd floors. So, we heard your suggestion.

Thank you again.
Gainesville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked a room overlooking the pier for a Saturday night in order to see a concert. Although we typically book at Marriott hotels, we found that our room was quite spacious, simple, and quaint. Luxurious it was not, but adequate for our needs. It seems as if our experience with the hotel vastly differs from those who have previously submitted reviews. There was no issues with the hot water. In fact, the shower took a few seconds to warm up and then produced a moderately powerful flow. The water stayed warm for the duration of my shower. My only issue was that the hot and cold fixtures were mixed up, but it was a simple solution. The bed was slightly squeeky, but comfortable. The hardwood floors were nice also. Aside from the poor painting jobs on the hallway walls, the hotel was nice.

Room Tip: Very spacious room that overlooks the pier is worth the slight cost increase.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place was awful, DO NOT STAY HERE. The thin walls, both internal and external were a serious problem because not only could we not sleep but everyone else could hear what we were doing in our room. How in the world did this place pass an inspection after "renovations"? I stayed there one night and we left St Pete early because this place triggered the second worst allergy attack I have ever experienced in my life. The only thing that does that to me is mold, the place was overrun with mold. The restuarant wasn't open when hey said it would be and the front desk clerk, while not mean, was completely uncaring. I would stay anywhere else if I were you. also, no onsite parking means you have to pay to park in the parking garage directly across the street, it's a final little kick in the rear after having an awful nights sleep. Also, no pool, no fitness center either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location and that is it. The place is deplorable and the employees do not care. There were holes in the ceilings, floors, walls and doors. There was no hot water. Our room door wouldn't lock from the inside. Fixtures, mattresses and pillows are ancient and filthy. Towels were not clean and showed evidence of previous victims. We saw German Cockroaches on the baseboards. Our beds were infested with baby roaches of a different species. The entire building showed plenty of evidence of very shoddy "renovations"/Cover-ups.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!