“Wonderful location and price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Kentucky
“Wonderful location and price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night just to experience downtown St Pete at a reasonable price. We were pleased with our choice. We had a fifth floor corner room that was clean and well decorated. Guests need to be aware that the hotel does not have parking. The metered street parking in front of the hotel is free from Friday evening through 9 am on Monday, so that worked for our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

What A Disgusting Dump! DIrty Rooms and A staff that didnt care.First Room they gave us had no running water. After they got water running it was orange from all the rust.Next room had water but it never got hot. You have to pay for all the parking and it gets very expensive.I dont know what ST. Pete inspectors are looking at but they must have really LOW STANDARDS. This was suppose to be a nice getaway for me and my girlfriend and it would have been ruined if we stayed there at the PONCE Disgusting HOTEL. WE bagged A_ _! out of that dump.Avoid this place if you want a comfortable and clean place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in another Hotel would be the best room
Tralee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was mildly nervous of staying here after reading some of the reviews, but found it to be much nicer than some reviews suggested. My 3rd floor room was clean, well decorated and the bed was very comfortable. Although I was above the street I had no problem with noise and - as a foreign tourist only in town for 5 days - I found the central location to be just excellent. The lack of pool or breakfast facilities is reflected in the price and didn't bother me at all, there are excellent breakfast joints just a few steps from the door. I have to say I found the staff to be exceptionally helpful and courteous. It is true that the corridor area on my floor needed some refurbishment, but there was no dirt, the lift worked well and all the other guests I met seemed as happy and relaxed as I was myself in this Hotel. My bathroom was small but the shower was more than adequate, and bathroom and room were spotlessly clean when I returned each evening. I would not hesitate to stay at the Ponce de Leon on a return visit to St. Pete. All of the Downtown attractions are very close by and the 'Looper' bus service takes you to all of them for only 50 cents. The Spanish Tapas restaurant next to the Hotel is very nice - though I tended to go further afield for dinner. This Hotel is a St. Pete original - the building goes back to 1922 and has character and charm. If you can forgo a pool and don't mind going round the corner for breakfast and if you want great value and a clean and comfortable bed in the centre of Downtown St. Pete, then the Ponce de Leon is the place for you

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
PonceDeLeonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Ponce De Leon Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Bruin,
Appreciate the feedback, thank you for letting us know how we are doing. Since you last stayed with us, we have started renovations to the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd floors. So, we heard your suggestion.

Thank you again.
Gainesville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked a room overlooking the pier for a Saturday night in order to see a concert. Although we typically book at Marriott hotels, we found that our room was quite spacious, simple, and quaint. Luxurious it was not, but adequate for our needs. It seems as if our experience with the hotel vastly differs from those who have previously submitted reviews. There was no issues with the hot water. In fact, the shower took a few seconds to warm up and then produced a moderately powerful flow. The water stayed warm for the duration of my shower. My only issue was that the hot and cold fixtures were mixed up, but it was a simple solution. The bed was slightly squeeky, but comfortable. The hardwood floors were nice also. Aside from the poor painting jobs on the hallway walls, the hotel was nice.

Room Tip: Very spacious room that overlooks the pier is worth the slight cost increase.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place was awful, DO NOT STAY HERE. The thin walls, both internal and external were a serious problem because not only could we not sleep but everyone else could hear what we were doing in our room. How in the world did this place pass an inspection after "renovations"? I stayed there one night and we left St Pete early because this place triggered the second worst allergy attack I have ever experienced in my life. The only thing that does that to me is mold, the place was overrun with mold. The restuarant wasn't open when hey said it would be and the front desk clerk, while not mean, was completely uncaring. I would stay anywhere else if I were you. also, no onsite parking means you have to pay to park in the parking garage directly across the street, it's a final little kick in the rear after having an awful nights sleep. Also, no pool, no fitness center either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location and that is it. The place is deplorable and the employees do not care. There were holes in the ceilings, floors, walls and doors. There was no hot water. Our room door wouldn't lock from the inside. Fixtures, mattresses and pillows are ancient and filthy. Towels were not clean and showed evidence of previous victims. We saw German Cockroaches on the baseboards. Our beds were infested with baby roaches of a different species. The entire building showed plenty of evidence of very shoddy "renovations"/Cover-ups.

• Stayed February 2013
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked a room in the Ponce de Leon due to the location (excellent) and the price (very good). I was a little let down when I saw the building, but my 3-night stay there proved to be just fine. The room was small (room 411) but very clean. The bathroom was small but acceptable. Obese people would have a problem. The shower was huge with nice hot water and good water pressure.
There was outside noise due to an attached restaurant but it calmed down around 11:30 pm. I always bring a noise machine to hotels, so I slept well. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but still OK. The "big" things were fine, the little things bugged me a bit. Little things? Nowhere to put soap and shampoo in shower, no clock radio, small TV, no drawers for my clothing, no Kleenex, no de-caf coffee, no carpet on floors, etc. I think that for the price, they do a good job, but there are things they could do to improve that would be inexpensive.
The night clerk was very nice and did a yeoman's job on a busy Saturday night. Why only one clerk?
I parked for two days at the parking garage across the street. I left on a Sunday morning when it wasn't staffed, so I parked for free!

Room Tip: My room, 411, wa quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!