“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Gainesville, Florida, United States
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked a room overlooking the pier for a Saturday night in order to see a concert. Although we typically book at Marriott hotels, we found that our room was quite spacious, simple, and quaint. Luxurious it was not, but adequate for our needs. It seems as if our experience with the hotel vastly differs from those who have previously submitted reviews. There was no issues with the hot water. In fact, the shower took a few seconds to warm up and then produced a moderately powerful flow. The water stayed warm for the duration of my shower. My only issue was that the hot and cold fixtures were mixed up, but it was a simple solution. The bed was slightly squeeky, but comfortable. The hardwood floors were nice also. Aside from the poor painting jobs on the hallway walls, the hotel was nice.

Room Tip: Very spacious room that overlooks the pier is worth the slight cost increase.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place was awful, DO NOT STAY HERE. The thin walls, both internal and external were a serious problem because not only could we not sleep but everyone else could hear what we were doing in our room. How in the world did this place pass an inspection after "renovations"? I stayed there one night and we left St Pete early because this place triggered the second worst allergy attack I have ever experienced in my life. The only thing that does that to me is mold, the place was overrun with mold. The restuarant wasn't open when hey said it would be and the front desk clerk, while not mean, was completely uncaring. I would stay anywhere else if I were you. also, no onsite parking means you have to pay to park in the parking garage directly across the street, it's a final little kick in the rear after having an awful nights sleep. Also, no pool, no fitness center either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location and that is it. The place is deplorable and the employees do not care. There were holes in the ceilings, floors, walls and doors. There was no hot water. Our room door wouldn't lock from the inside. Fixtures, mattresses and pillows are ancient and filthy. Towels were not clean and showed evidence of previous victims. We saw German Cockroaches on the baseboards. Our beds were infested with baby roaches of a different species. The entire building showed plenty of evidence of very shoddy "renovations"/Cover-ups.

• Stayed February 2013
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked a room in the Ponce de Leon due to the location (excellent) and the price (very good). I was a little let down when I saw the building, but my 3-night stay there proved to be just fine. The room was small (room 411) but very clean. The bathroom was small but acceptable. Obese people would have a problem. The shower was huge with nice hot water and good water pressure.
There was outside noise due to an attached restaurant but it calmed down around 11:30 pm. I always bring a noise machine to hotels, so I slept well. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but still OK. The "big" things were fine, the little things bugged me a bit. Little things? Nowhere to put soap and shampoo in shower, no clock radio, small TV, no drawers for my clothing, no Kleenex, no de-caf coffee, no carpet on floors, etc. I think that for the price, they do a good job, but there are things they could do to improve that would be inexpensive.
The night clerk was very nice and did a yeoman's job on a busy Saturday night. Why only one clerk?
I parked for two days at the parking garage across the street. I left on a Sunday morning when it wasn't staffed, so I parked for free!

Room Tip: My room, 411, wa quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

If you're looking for a hotel that offers a restful stay, this is not the hotel for you. If you're looking for a place to store your belongings while you party like a Frat Boy, this is your place. The location is spot on, and staff very friendly. However, if you are wanting a more full-service hotel, book elsewhere. The amenities and hot water are limited. It's worth the extra expense to stay next door at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

the dorm room furniture is the worse I have seen in a hotel. I travel for a living so maybe i am spoiled by Hampton Inns and Courtyards. I would never stay here again the place is good for spring breakers, which is what I heard night after night at 3:00 am in the morning.

Room Tip: the street noise is bad on beach drive and central
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is fine if you are going to stay just for a night after attending an event in the area, other than that I would suggest another hotel. I have stayed in older hotels with smaller rooms and it has not bothered me but this one was just not comfortable. We actually chose to drive 5 hours back hom after a wedding reception we attended instead of staying the extra night because we would get a better nights sleep. The night staff was friendly a somewhat helpful but the day staff was not very helpful at all and on the verge of being rude.

The room was not overly small but its layout was weird and we just never felt comfortable. Maybe it just was not our style. It how ever liek the rest of the hotel was clean. The best part of the hotel was the restaurant next door, Ceviche.

Room Tip: We stayed in a full room and it was not very comfortable, not to small just odd. So I would ask abou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!