“GOOD HOTEL IN A PINCH” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Dunnellon, Florida
“GOOD HOTEL IN A PINCH”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

When staying in St. Petersburg and wanting a room that is clean and inexpensive with access to all of the local events, this is a good hotel.
The front desk staff was pleasant. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable.
The elevator is slow.
One of my very favorite spots for Sunday morning is right in the same building - The Ceviche. It is super close to the Pier and about a 15 minute easy walk from the State Theatre and Local 66.
Halls are dark and dingy - Parking is across the street in a pay lot.
We were there to see a band play so it was PERFECT.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is like a nice dorm room rather than a quaint hotel. There are many other hotel properties nearby. I would choose them first.

I was in Tampa for a large convention and all of the other properties were sold out. I had read the Trip Advisor write ups prior to my arrival so I did know what I was in for.

I did request a high room as to avoid the street noise. I was on the top level (6th floor). I did not hear a lot of street noise but you can hear everything in the hallways. It reminded me of the college dorm living experience.

The elevator was broken during much of my stay so I did get a work out climbing and descending the 6 floors in the 90+ degree Florida summer heat.

My room had a very musty smell when I first arrived. It seemed to go away during my stay. The AC units are a bit noisy.

There was no dresser in my room but there was a small couch. I spread my clothes out on the couch for my stay. There was a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave in my room. There are not any quick breakfast restaurants close by so if you do stay here I would recommend you bring some breakfast foods with you. There is a small restaurant in the hotel building for a sit down type breakfast. There are no fast food type places close by.

The bed was OK but not that comfortable. The towels are nice and fluffy. The staff was friendly.

The hotel still uses metal keys. I found it odd that they give you a key with the room number taped onto it. There is no key chain. Also, for security reasons it felt weird having a key. It was a bit of a retro throwback.

My stay was ok because as I noted I was in town for a large convention and all of the other properties were sold out. I was thankful to have a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We arrived to find the elevator was not functioning. We found the sign advertising the hotel as a boutique hotel quite amusing It is a very tired, rundown hotel, reminiscent of a two star hotel in Paris.
The location is excellent but parking is not available on site. There is an indoor city lot very close by.
Staff were pleasant but appeared under stress.

Room Tip: Corner room larger than interior rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Positive: good location, friendly staff. Negative: old and badly maintained hotel. Airconditioner very noisy. Elevetor very slow and problematic. Bed uncomfortable. In sum: there are better hotels in the area for similar rates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Since everything else was sold out we decide to try this place. BAD IDEA. For $89 a night we got a stuffy room with mold in the bathroom, a bathroom sink that you could barely get your hands wet in, the shower filled up with water b the drain was clogged, the floor in the bedroom was slanted, the AC unit had dryer sheets tucked in it to make the old building stinch go away, the hallway was dark and smelled musty. The elevator was scary and super slow. We ended up just staying one night and drove back home 4.5 hrs!

• Stayed July 2012
Fruitland Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked for the 4th of July and was apprehensive because of some of the reviews. But we found the room clean and comfortable although it was small. All of the employees were nice and friendly. The hotel is close to everything downtown with just a short walk. You need to visit the pier soon as there are fools wanting to tear it down and I have been there many times in the past 35 years and love it there. I recommend the ponce.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Wow, have I learned a lesson. If only I had checked trip advisor before I reserved a room here! We came to St. Pete for the weekend to look at real estate, so we wanted to stay close to the waterfront and the marina. The place looks nice on the outside, and Ceviche, the resturant attached is awesome, so I booked the room.
Its the worse hotel experience in 20 years! The front desk staff was completely disengaged, the guy never even looked up when I approached the desk. He never said hi when I spoke, he just kept watching the monitor. I was told there was no rooms ready at 2:30PM, but he never bothered to find out until I asked for a refund. Reluctantly he then got up and went to check. Sure enough, there was a room.
The "deluxe queen room" was decorated like a trailer, and the bathrooms were tiny (30" wide!) The floor was inexpensive wood veneer, and no rugs or carpets.
The furniture was mobile-home quality, and the only way I could charge my computer and phone was by unplugging things.
On the positive side, the internet was free, and it worked. The view of the harbor from the smallish windows was nice.
But there was only one small elevator, and the lobby was small and uninviting.
Its not what I would call a "boutique hotel", its just small, old, cheaply renovated, and the staff is the worst.
If you read my other reviews, you can see I'm normally positive, but there is little to say about this place that's positive.!

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn next door! For 10 to 15 dollars more, its a real hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!