“disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
London, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Positive: good location, friendly staff. Negative: old and badly maintained hotel. Airconditioner very noisy. Elevetor very slow and problematic. Bed uncomfortable. In sum: there are better hotels in the area for similar rates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Since everything else was sold out we decide to try this place. BAD IDEA. For $89 a night we got a stuffy room with mold in the bathroom, a bathroom sink that you could barely get your hands wet in, the shower filled up with water b the drain was clogged, the floor in the bedroom was slanted, the AC unit had dryer sheets tucked in it to make the old building stinch go away, the hallway was dark and smelled musty. The elevator was scary and super slow. We ended up just staying one night and drove back home 4.5 hrs!

• Stayed July 2012
Fruitland Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked for the 4th of July and was apprehensive because of some of the reviews. But we found the room clean and comfortable although it was small. All of the employees were nice and friendly. The hotel is close to everything downtown with just a short walk. You need to visit the pier soon as there are fools wanting to tear it down and I have been there many times in the past 35 years and love it there. I recommend the ponce.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Wow, have I learned a lesson. If only I had checked trip advisor before I reserved a room here! We came to St. Pete for the weekend to look at real estate, so we wanted to stay close to the waterfront and the marina. The place looks nice on the outside, and Ceviche, the resturant attached is awesome, so I booked the room.
Its the worse hotel experience in 20 years! The front desk staff was completely disengaged, the guy never even looked up when I approached the desk. He never said hi when I spoke, he just kept watching the monitor. I was told there was no rooms ready at 2:30PM, but he never bothered to find out until I asked for a refund. Reluctantly he then got up and went to check. Sure enough, there was a room.
The "deluxe queen room" was decorated like a trailer, and the bathrooms were tiny (30" wide!) The floor was inexpensive wood veneer, and no rugs or carpets.
The furniture was mobile-home quality, and the only way I could charge my computer and phone was by unplugging things.
On the positive side, the internet was free, and it worked. The view of the harbor from the smallish windows was nice.
But there was only one small elevator, and the lobby was small and uninviting.
Its not what I would call a "boutique hotel", its just small, old, cheaply renovated, and the staff is the worst.
If you read my other reviews, you can see I'm normally positive, but there is little to say about this place that's positive.!

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn next door! For 10 to 15 dollars more, its a real hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel over a weekend in June 2012. I normally do not write reviews as I work in a hotel, however, this stay was beyond disappointing and I do not want anyone else to experience the same issues we have!

Upon arrival we were greeted by a female desk clerk (did not catch her name as no name tag). She was pleasant and helped us get checked~in early. I asked if there was a way to ugprade our room (my husband reserved via hotels.com). She did indicate we were in the smallest room, but for an extra $15.00 per night we could updgrade to a queen deluxe room. I paid the $30.00+ on my credit card and we were given the keys to room 301.

We rode the elevator to the 3rd floor and were caught off guard by the darkness of the hallway as well as the temperature in the halls. We entered our room to discover the A/C was not on ~ problem #1. Then we checked out the shower area and discovered a used bar of soap in the shower & then a black hair on the sink. I figured this was just an initial "bump" in our stay and everything else would be fine.

We returned that evening and the A/C was working, but, not to its fullest ability ~ ok, understandable. HOWEVER, we were "blessed" to listen to the lovely drunk people fighting from Ceviches located directly below us.

We went out on Saturday and returned again that evening to the A/C still working partially (and the hot hallways). Once again we were "blessed" to listen to the drunk people at Ceviches and their fights. But, the topper on the cake was when I awoke around 4am to go to the restroom and stepped in a puddle of water next to our bed. I then discovered that the ceiling was leaking in 2 differenct spots, there was a water bubble under one of the windows, both windows were leaking & there was water on the floor by both windows & my hairdryer. This was NOT how I wanted to start my day off at all.

Needless to say, we were disappointed with:
1. The cleanliness of the room
2. The lack of warning that the room we "updgraded" to was above a bar and that we would be receiving "free entertainment" ~ had we known this, we would have kept our original room
3. The leaks in the room (which I have SEVERAL pictures of the multiple water issues)

Upon departure, we spoke with your gracious front desk cleark (african american gentleman ~ again, no name tag) and I expressed all of this to him. He wrote a portion of it down and stated that he would have the General Manager call us on Monday.

I called late Monday afternoon to find out the GM was off for the day and again the following day, Tuesday, there was still NO CALL from the GM.

As of today, which is 2 weeks later, we still have NO resolve of our issues and the hotel told my husband they would not REFUND any of our money since we had posted a negative comment on Facebook.

Needless to say, this is a hotel that we would not stay at again or recommend to our worst enemy.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is NOT above Ceviches
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

This is our second stay. Very happy to be here. European feeling; not your big fat American cookie-cut hotel. Quaint, comfy, well thought-out, great location and Ceviche Tapas Bar & Restaurant is exquisite! Rays won to boot!

• Stayed June 2012
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I don't want to rip this place to pieces, because it isnt terrible. Withthat said, I would put it on par with a college residence hall. Small, uncomfortable, poor ac, broken and tiny tv. Bed is a little more comfortable than a air mattress, but barely.

Nice night lady at desk.

Crazy screaming next door lady at 3am was semi-amusing.

Hoped for quaint and romantic... Got small and boring.

Will not stay here again unless the price drops to around $50.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!