“Beautiful Exterior, TINY Rooms that LEAK” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Omaha, Nebraska
“Beautiful Exterior, TINY Rooms that LEAK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel over a weekend in June 2012. I normally do not write reviews as I work in a hotel, however, this stay was beyond disappointing and I do not want anyone else to experience the same issues we have!

Upon arrival we were greeted by a female desk clerk (did not catch her name as no name tag). She was pleasant and helped us get checked~in early. I asked if there was a way to ugprade our room (my husband reserved via hotels.com). She did indicate we were in the smallest room, but for an extra $15.00 per night we could updgrade to a queen deluxe room. I paid the $30.00+ on my credit card and we were given the keys to room 301.

We rode the elevator to the 3rd floor and were caught off guard by the darkness of the hallway as well as the temperature in the halls. We entered our room to discover the A/C was not on ~ problem #1. Then we checked out the shower area and discovered a used bar of soap in the shower & then a black hair on the sink. I figured this was just an initial "bump" in our stay and everything else would be fine.

We returned that evening and the A/C was working, but, not to its fullest ability ~ ok, understandable. HOWEVER, we were "blessed" to listen to the lovely drunk people fighting from Ceviches located directly below us.

We went out on Saturday and returned again that evening to the A/C still working partially (and the hot hallways). Once again we were "blessed" to listen to the drunk people at Ceviches and their fights. But, the topper on the cake was when I awoke around 4am to go to the restroom and stepped in a puddle of water next to our bed. I then discovered that the ceiling was leaking in 2 differenct spots, there was a water bubble under one of the windows, both windows were leaking & there was water on the floor by both windows & my hairdryer. This was NOT how I wanted to start my day off at all.

Needless to say, we were disappointed with:
1. The cleanliness of the room
2. The lack of warning that the room we "updgraded" to was above a bar and that we would be receiving "free entertainment" ~ had we known this, we would have kept our original room
3. The leaks in the room (which I have SEVERAL pictures of the multiple water issues)

Upon departure, we spoke with your gracious front desk cleark (african american gentleman ~ again, no name tag) and I expressed all of this to him. He wrote a portion of it down and stated that he would have the General Manager call us on Monday.

I called late Monday afternoon to find out the GM was off for the day and again the following day, Tuesday, there was still NO CALL from the GM.

As of today, which is 2 weeks later, we still have NO resolve of our issues and the hotel told my husband they would not REFUND any of our money since we had posted a negative comment on Facebook.

Needless to say, this is a hotel that we would not stay at again or recommend to our worst enemy.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is NOT above Ceviches
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

This is our second stay. Very happy to be here. European feeling; not your big fat American cookie-cut hotel. Quaint, comfy, well thought-out, great location and Ceviche Tapas Bar & Restaurant is exquisite! Rays won to boot!

• Stayed June 2012
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I don't want to rip this place to pieces, because it isnt terrible. Withthat said, I would put it on par with a college residence hall. Small, uncomfortable, poor ac, broken and tiny tv. Bed is a little more comfortable than a air mattress, but barely.

Nice night lady at desk.

Crazy screaming next door lady at 3am was semi-amusing.

Hoped for quaint and romantic... Got small and boring.

Will not stay here again unless the price drops to around $50.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Hotel looks really cool and unique on the pictures but once you get there its actually kind of crappy. First you are greeted by the front desk staff who are not friendly or welcoming. My husband and I got a room with a full bed which had only 2 very thin hard pillows. The bathroom door had a huge tear in the wood. I am not really a picky person and I think if whoever owns this hotel would fire the front desk staff gets some friendly smiling faces in there,take a little pride in the rooms, upgrade the pillows and old tvs. Hotel is in a great location and could be a really neat place.

Daytona Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This was a bad experience all around. I ask about parking for the night and the clerk told me after 6 PM you could park anywhere for free. Well that sounded good...then I checked in. As we reached our small room that didn't impress me in any way we put down our suitcase and off to dinner. After we returned and I decided to shower I was faced with the smallest bathroom possible. Had to set my shaving cream on toilet because could not find any other place around sink. Oh, I also found the bathroom door wouldn't close. (Swollen wood) After the shower and as we turned back the covers of the bed we found just a sheet with no mattress pad and pillows with no pillow covers on the ticking. Said "oh well" and settled down to watch our 15" tv. (which was appropriate considering the size of the room), Had trouble hearing it for the loudness of the AC unit.

Finally off to sleep and awaken to quickly leave the hotel. As I arrived at my car I found a wonderful gift on the window shield...a $25 parking ticket! No one had told me until I returned to the hotel that only Central Street was the only place you could free park. I felt duped and the clerk was nice enough and recommended I call the manager later in the day. When I did my reply was short and to the point, "You should have seen the sign on the parking meter." Oh, there was no sign on the place I parked because I guess that was not free parking. Who would of thought. Oh well, you can see I am frustrated and really shouldn't be. I will be contacting the owner as soon as possible to lodge this complaint. My advice. Stay away!

Room Tip: Look our for 409!!!
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have to say that I was not entirely surprised by my experience at this hotel. We stayed here due to a lovely hotel nearby was booked. Fortunately, we only had to stay one night before moving to the other place. One night was CLEARLY enough. We arrived at 5 pm and the front desk agent was struggling to find a clean room for us. Seeing as this was way past check in time, it shouldn't have been a problem. For our inconvenience, he stated that he gave us an upgraded suite for the trouble. We thanked him and went to our room. Wow! This is an upgrade?? To be honest, I hate taking the time to write all of this, seeing as we will never return, but I feel impelled since I use TripAdvisor always before booking a place. This is an Art Deco themed hotel which fails miserably. It COULD have been really cool, but our first impression of the room was that it was simply thrown together without very much thought. Hodgepodge at best. The first thing we noticed is the nasty stains on the ceiling. How gross. The wood floors were dirty and scuffed. The night stand consisted of a telephone. No clock OR lamp. When it is time to go to sleep, one must get out of bed, turn off lamp on desk and then return to bed in the dark. Hard to do if you want to sink into a good book before drifting off.

The television is 10 feet across the room on a wall that does NOT face the bed. Therefore, if you want to watch TV in bed, you must lay on your side. Forget watching if you there are two of you in bed. The toilet quit working on the very first flush which forced me to take off of the lid of the tank and reattach the chain. Oh ew!

Lastly and most important. Before we went out for the evening we opened a window to let some fresh air in and to air out the stuffiness of the room. Upon returning back later in the evening we noticed that the window was closed. Hum...The following morning upon check out, I asked the front desk agent (who was in shorts and T-shirt) if they offered a turn down service in the evening and he said "no." As I proceeded to tell him that someone had been in our room the night before he responded with "oh, that was me. I had to reset the cable and I needed to go into your room to check the TV....Don't worry, I didn't touch anything..." Well, I expressed to him that I found that unsettling. If in fact, the staff had to enter the room, they should have at the very least, left a note explaining this. There was no "privacy" card left to hang on the door, so we trusted that our things would be there when we returned. I will NEVER return to this hotel. It is creepy and gross.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is in a perfect location but is far from perfect. The lobby is fantastic but every other floor looks like a fun house from a horror movie. Room was booked as a 2 double bed room. The "2nd" bed was a Murphy bed that unfolded from the wall. Rooms are inadequate and small. TV was a 15 inch tube TV and only received several stations. When I asked the front desk they stated that "they insist" that the room is 2 double beds and the purpose of the Murphy bed is to make more space. I informed them this is unacceptable and that the pictures on the website show a completely different room. They apologized and gave me another room. This room had 2 real beds but was no better. I would recommend to stay at either the Hampton next door or the Hilton that is 2 blocks away.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Ponce De Leon Hotel? Share your experiences!