“It's probably a good thing we don't live closer!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 725 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Opened in June of 2011. Great vegetarian restaurant in downtown St. Petersburg.
Eustis, Florida
“It's probably a good thing we don't live closer!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I were roaming around on a Saturday night looking for a veggie burger for him when we drove past Meze 119 and decided to try it if we could find parking. We found a spot two blocks away and decided to look at the menu to see if they had a burger or not (hubby's not big on Middle Eastern Cuisine.) The chef came out and listened to what my husband was looking for and said "I can make that." Needless to say, we decided to stay!

Our food arrived in a timely manner and as I took one bite of my tz'iip (fried potato wedges with garlic and parsley), I knew we were in for a treat. Incredible flavor!
I ordered the Meze Original (falafal pita with israeli salad and tahini) and it was the best falafel I've had. Ever. My husband had the sliced stak (with a long a), tempeh bacon, mushrooms and caramelized onions on pita. He really enjoyed the flavor and kept asking me what they had used to make his sandwich.

We enjoyed the food so much, we found a coupon and decided to return again 2 days later and have the same menu items. This time, there was a metered spot right in front of the restaurant. Of course, we forgot that my husband's burger wasn't technically on the menu. It normally comes on flat bread which he didn't like as well so we would ask for a pita next time.

Both visits we had the chocolate tower (flourless chocolate cake stacked with ice cream). We substituted dairy-free ice cream (I can't remember if it was soy) and it was excellent. The second time the cake was a little overcooked but the coupon was for free dessert so we didn't complain as it was still very good.
We have NEVER paid for parking to visit a restaurant but this place was totally worth it!!

• Visited March 2013

Clearwater, Florida
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wow! I was introduced to organic and vegetarian by my son's girlfriend. She suggested we go to Meze. Wow, I was very surprised of the quality and taste of these meals. As a meat lover, I can honestly say you are not missing any flavors. I agree with one of the prior reviewers, I can believe it is not chicken and or steak! These are all vegetarian meals! I had the flat iron stak! it tasted just like the flat iron steak! Super flavorful! I did not miss the meat! The hot sauce on it drives it home! I would highly recommend you give it a try! Inexpensive also! we will be back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wolcott, CT
“Vegetarian Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

In a world of restaurants filled with dead animals, what a wonderful change walking into a restaurant where I felt safe. Although not all vegan, the vegan options were awesome! The food tasted delicious, the servings were generous, and the prices were very reasonable. The atmosphere was extremely comfortable, almost like a fast-food restaurant. I think even my "meatatarian" husband would have liked this place!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Wonderful find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a very unique restaurant in Saint Petersburg, from the clever menu to the creative names of the dishes. The food is very tasty vegetarian that a meat eater could enjoy. No, they don't have veg burgers. In some vegetarian restaurants the food tastes like cardboard, this is definitely not the case here.

• Visited February 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“I can't believe it's not chicken!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

There are very few 'proper' vegetarian restaurants: most serve huge piles of rice and vegetables in a canteen-style room. This place serves creative, gourmet food that just happens to be vegetarian. A glance at the menu might suggest otherwise, but on closer inspection all the 'meat' is actually fake. It's very convincing though! As a meat-eater myself, I had to remind myself that the dish I was eating didn't actually contain chicken. It was also highly flavoured and delicious. A great wine and beer selection rounds off this place. Really excellent stuff.