“Comfortable great beach apartment in St. Pete Beach” 4 of 5 stars

You added Coral Reef Resort to your Saves list
Coral Reef Resort
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   5800 Gulf Blvd., St. Petersburg, FL 33706-2252   |
Louisville, Kentucky
“Comfortable great beach apartment in St. Pete Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a 6th floor one bedroom unit in early January 2013 and had a comfortable stay with great view of a gorgeous beach. The heated smaller pool was great as was the hot tub. The property was probably only about 30% occupied, so parking was easy and only a handful of people in the pool. Our unit was a bit dated but clean and well equipped, except for skimpy pillows. The abondoned old pink portion of the property is a bit strange and the resort is hidden behind it and not viewable from the street, but the area was great for walks, beach bars, grocery and places to eat. Wish we could have had a beach front room. They were vacant the whole week of our stay but it is timeshare and I guess someone had that week and didn't use the rooms. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Get and upper floor if possible
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Osseo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had a great time at this resort. We had a 2 bedroom on the main floor, near the heated pool. The condos are very spacious, and have updated kitchens with everything you need to make meals. The beach has some super soft sand, some small shells to find, and goes right up to the resort sidewalk. The free form pool was cold, but they still took time to keep it clean jus in case. He heated pool and spas were great and not crowded. Location was great for getting to Passe-a-Grille, John's Pass, Treasure Island, and St Petersberg. Public grocery store is less than a mile away, so you don't need to eat out every meal. The few times we needed the staff they were helpful and accomadating. We'll probably stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had to find a hotel that could fit 6 people during my husbands conference in st Pete's. after reading reviews I thought this might work. I was very disappointed with the whole experience. We paid 253 a night and for that we got a run down, smelly, dirty experience. The front looks abandoned and nasty. The elevators are small and stink. The luggage carts are falling apart and so tiny that it took me three trips to get my stuff in my room. The room itself was dirty looking and old. I made my kids keep their shoes on the whole time. Half the light bulbs were burnt out and I couldn't see inside my suitcase in my room. The mattress was so hard that we all had trouble sleeping. Honestly, I was embarrassed to have booked a room there. I am still kicking myself for even paying for it!!! Never ever again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had an exchange of my timeshare at the coral reef and was little worry about the reviews which I saw after I had booked.... The places has a excellent location....rigth on the beach and near great hotels and restaurant.. the room was clean .. now to the famous ugly pink building..... there is a abandoned pink building right on teh property actually in front of teh property so you must drive by it to go to the property... htere are 2 pools and one of them is near the pink building.... it is a shame that they do not do anything about taking that building down...I had a great tiem ( my first time in st pete) but I as concern about being on the beach and discovering teh area.. so i did not made a big deal about teh aesthetics... as long as the room was clean..... no sure if I ever go back but if you want a budget palce rigth on the beach .. it is ok...

Room Tip: ask for building closer to the beach FAR from the front of the building
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Celebration, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I read the other reviews on this site and thought it sounded okay. The abandoned building can not be seen in the picture, but it surrounds the pool on the other side and looks awful. Plus it wraps around and connects to the 4 floor building that we stayed in, we stayed in the last room next to the eye sore. The suite was tiny, old worn furniture, no washer/dryer. The pool bar was not even operational, we had to go to the resort next door for drinks. chairs were old, and moldy! No fitness center, no game room, no room service. No activities or amenities, no wifi in our building we had to sit outside by the other building to get it. They threaten to charge you extra for any missing items, including the room key card and insist you strip the beds and clean out all trash or pay an extra fee. I wouldn't reccomend this place to anyone and I wish the reviews I had read had explained more! Also, the lobby is a trailer in the rear.ven my kids were upset about the poor quality!

Room Tip: choose another place!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Coral Reef Resort. I thought in the interim they would have done away with the abandoned pink hotel buildings, but no. It really detracts from the atmosphere. On the bright side, if even half of those rooms were occupied you wouldn't have the uncrowded pool, hot tub, and beach experiences. I love it that we can walk a few steps and be right on the beach. The pools are lovely, relaxing, with plenty of privacy the way they are designed. The room is not the Ritz, but who stays in the room on a beach vacation??? The necessities are all there -- cold A/C, clean bathrooms, and kitchenette. I will definitely be back. I kind of hope the pink buildings are still there--it keeps this gem a secret.

Room Tip: I don't know how much more expensive the rooms facing the beach are, but I would consider that a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed here in late Nov into early Dec 2011. The outside appearance is not good and needs to be improved. Great spot on the beach and the pools were nice and kept clean. We had a 2 bedroom that had been renovated. It was nice, nothing fancy and a full kitchen. All in all I would stay there again but would look for something nicer first.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Coral Reef Resort? Share your experiences!