“Awful, left early” 1 of 5 stars

5800 Gulf Blvd., St. Petersburg, FL 33706-2252   |
Celebration, Florida, United States
“Awful, left early”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I read the other reviews on this site and thought it sounded okay. The abandoned building can not be seen in the picture, but it surrounds the pool on the other side and looks awful. Plus it wraps around and connects to the 4 floor building that we stayed in, we stayed in the last room next to the eye sore. The suite was tiny, old worn furniture, no washer/dryer. The pool bar was not even operational, we had to go to the resort next door for drinks. chairs were old, and moldy! No fitness center, no game room, no room service. No activities or amenities, no wifi in our building we had to sit outside by the other building to get it. They threaten to charge you extra for any missing items, including the room key card and insist you strip the beds and clean out all trash or pay an extra fee. I wouldn't reccomend this place to anyone and I wish the reviews I had read had explained more! Also, the lobby is a trailer in the rear.ven my kids were upset about the poor quality!

Room Tip: choose another place!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Coral Reef Resort. I thought in the interim they would have done away with the abandoned pink hotel buildings, but no. It really detracts from the atmosphere. On the bright side, if even half of those rooms were occupied you wouldn't have the uncrowded pool, hot tub, and beach experiences. I love it that we can walk a few steps and be right on the beach. The pools are lovely, relaxing, with plenty of privacy the way they are designed. The room is not the Ritz, but who stays in the room on a beach vacation??? The necessities are all there -- cold A/C, clean bathrooms, and kitchenette. I will definitely be back. I kind of hope the pink buildings are still there--it keeps this gem a secret.

Room Tip: I don't know how much more expensive the rooms facing the beach are, but I would consider that a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed here in late Nov into early Dec 2011. The outside appearance is not good and needs to be improved. Great spot on the beach and the pools were nice and kept clean. We had a 2 bedroom that had been renovated. It was nice, nothing fancy and a full kitchen. All in all I would stay there again but would look for something nicer first.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hamilton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We had a great thanksgiving at Coral Reef. The rooms were nice, we were on the first floor in a 2 BR unit right outside the pool. The big pool was empty, we had it all to ourselves. OK, so it was unheated and chilly at first, once you got in, climbed on your float it was perfect...cool on the bottom, frying in the sun on the top! The pink buildings like others said are creepy, but who cares, its that many less people crowding the chairs! Word has it that they're tearing down those buildings and putting up a 4 or 6 story, that would be terrible as the big pool would never get enough sun, it's barely swimmable as-is without being heated, a high rise on that side would totally ruin it. My gang (4 adults) primarily hung by the pools, hot tub and heated pool at night. Not alot of kids, and those that were there were not annoying. We didn't actually sit on the beach at all during our trip, walked out during sunset, etc. but the sand's kinda hard and there's no chairs at the resort so we were just as happy at the pool. Fave spots were Spinners, Bubba Gumps and the Hurricane. Hurricane had excellent food, including turkey dinner and we ended up there a couple of times. So if you're looking for a low key, uncrowded resort I'd recommend Coral Reef, I'd go there again, but we're pretty low maintenance, so if you're looking for the ritz, this will disappoint, but if you're looking for a quiet place right on the beach with awesome pools then don't hesitate!

Room Tip: If you have kids PLEASE stay on the first floor. If you like to sleep late then get the top floor...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Blountville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Was first put off by the wreck of a motel out front, as we arrived on a rainy day (no fun at the beach). Pay no attention to it as it won't affect your stay. As the week went on and the weather warmed, so did we... to Coral Reef. Room was a one bedroom which was a little dated (mirrored walls). It was clean though and towels and such could be replaced daily. Bed linens were changed mid week. No individual balconies... that was a drag, but was ok. Limited ocean view, unless you are lucky and get a room upfront. Service and staff were very good. Nice salt pool and large chlorine pool, both were very clean. Three hot tubs... all very nice. The beach was large and walkable... beautiful gulf sunsets. We ended up the week happy and satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for something upfront on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

As the title suggests, it is a hidden paradise. Passing down the road, all you see is the run down closed hotel. But if you take the time to get past that, you will find a very nice place. You see about 16 years ago the property was owned by one developer. Before he finished the whole change to condos he sold the hotel portion of the property, which is up in the front. After several years of decline it was closed and still remains closed today. However the condos are behind the hotel on the beach side and are very nice.

We actually own a week there and have seen the vast changes over the last 5 years. All the units have been remodeled over the last 3 years. Units have been completely re-tiled from the floors to the bathrooms, new wood cabinets and granite counter tops, and new furniture this last year. All the windows have been replaced as well as the railings on every floor. It is about 95% complete. Our kids just love coming here every summer and the location is perfect. We have been coming to the west coast for 20+ years and have stayed at dozen's of properties. So believe me when I say it has the BEST POOL ON THE BEACH! There is nothing to even compare it to. It's a HUGE free form pool with two waterfall islands in the middle. The beach is just a few steps away with cabanas, parasailing, water bikes and beach bars all just a short stroll. And you will not find more beautiful sunsets anywhere on the planet. It's just a perfect place to relax.

The main reason I don't give it 5 stars is because it does lack several resort amenities. There is no longer a beach bar and restaurant because it was also on the hotel property and when the lease run out it was closed. It used to be the best on the beach, now it's just an eyesore. They don't have many activities or a game room for the kids. There's no spa. And no grills for cooking out. But other than just a few things it is a great relaxing get away. The lush tropical landscaping makes you feel like you are in the islands and the 3 hot tubs are always enjoyable with a frosty beverage in the evenings. So come and have fun in the sun.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
leigh on sea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Got a 4 night stay here the day we moved out of our motel in Pass a Grill Beach, so were lucky with price and accommodation. Stayed on 3rd floor, basic kitchen, cosy living room and large executive bed with double sinks in bathroom. Good cleaners and very kind GEE at front desk. However this is why I am glad I don't have a timeshare here:

The pools looked great when we arrived...mostly empty, couldn't wait to jump in and swim to my heart's content. However only one pool is heated and that wasn't good enough because clients were allowed to save sunloungers early in the morning with towels even though a sign told them not to. Nobody appeared to want to enforce the "Don't hog the sunbeds" rule. The week we were there there was a largish lady with large children who not only hogged the chairs whether they were there or not; they hogged the swimming pools with their beachball tossing game so I couldn't do my laps nor would they move so I could swim back and forth and get some laps in.

Other than that: it was very nice to stay here. Didn't know til the hour I left that the laundry/drier are FREE so could have had a free wash before I flew back to London.

Another problem: the night before I left the party upstairs decided to turn on their TV at 12 a.m. and then at 1 a.m. decided to turn on their radio and at 2 a.m. the toilet flushed. Evidently no noise insulation between bedrooms on floor 3 and 4 and certainly no carpet in upstairs bedroom because I heard the channel changer clunk on the floor above...A noisy night and I had to fly the next night to London.

Other than that: nice place, great location and no wi fi reception in room worth speaking of. This needs to be sorted because carrying a laptop down to poolside or the office is not on when you just want to check out a restaurant.

Also a lot of little kids were allowed in the spa pool even though most health clubs won't allow kids under 12 into the spa. A lot of them were unsupervised.

Maids very pleasant.

Probably not again. I think St Pete Beach has priced itself out of the market, at least my market for awhile.

Room Tip: when you see the Walk-Ins Welcome, grab a deal
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Reef Resort? Share your experiences!