“The Best New Year's Eve Party Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Resort

Save Saved
You added Flamingo Resort to your Saves list
Flamingo Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4601 34th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33711 (Formerly JMS Hotel)   |
Ranked #26 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“The Best New Year's Eve Party Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I spent two enjoyable days at the Flamingo Resort over New Years. I have been staying at this property ever since Jack Dougherty took it over a few years back. He has put a lot of time, talent and treasure into making this one the best Gay properties in the State of Florida. While it is far from luxurious, the grounds and rooms are spanking clean, the pool is huge and pristine, and his bars and dining continue to be outstanding. Jack has always known how to throw a party, but in the early years no one came. This has all changed now, as his reputation is spreading. Word of mouth from people like myself are his best advertising! The property itself keeps getting better and better. The food has gone from adequate to outstanding and several new bars have been added, from another outdoor Tikibar to the dark and sleazy leatherbar called CODE. What really makes Jack's opperation excell however, are his people. From the front desk to the bartenders and servers, to the housekeeping crew, you will not find a friendlier place to stay. His hard work finally paid off with this year's New Years Eve party. Every room, all 120 of them were booked solid and I would estimate that over the course of the evening over 1,000 friendly people partied hardy at the Flamingo. Everyone was pleasant and well behaved; they were having too much fun to be otherwise. There was live entertainment not found elsewhere, such at a Cique de Sole style show, go-go dancers, a balloon drop at midnight and free bubbly. There was a DJ at poolside and the party went on from early until well after 3AM. A wonderful time was had by all and I must say that this was the most fun I've had in years and perhaps ever! Kudos to Jack and his staff for throwing one hell of a party at a great venue. I'm sure I'll return next year and look forward to the continued improvements of the property and their creative party planning. Highly reccomended whether you are Gay, straight or just looking to have a blast!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are the most updated and deluxe, but can be noisy if you are not there to party.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

OK, time to get honest with the readers, this place is mostly a place to party with friends. There is a patio bar, sort-of main lounge bar, pool bar and even a neo-leather bar.

The pool patio rocks on weekends with loud music and Sunday's big pool party goes until the late hours of the night. If you want peace and quiet, stay in an outside room or another hotel. Just come for the party.

The rooms are nothing exceptional and housekeeping could give the rooms a little more attention. As could the maintenance for the hotel which was more than likely a Holiday Inn of sorts in a past life.

Midweek rates make staying at this hotel worthwhile; however, the higher weekend rates are a rip-off.

Just be aware, this can be sort of a "cruisy place" and you might want to ensure your window draps are fully closed or you may wake up only to find eyes pearing into your room. That can be a little strange...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed three nights for Leather Pride did not want to leave. Staff was very nice. The shows where amazing. Pool bar stayed busy the whole weekend. Room was nice 70's vintage hotel room. I did not find a parking space close to my room but small inconvenience for the crowd. I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2012
Gainesville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have stayed here mutiple times over holiday weekends-place is over-priced for what you get. The place was dead...nothing really going on at night. Some old drag queens-more of a camp style. If you are looking for something to do at night, this is not the place for you. I liked that I was supporting LGBT, but what a boring stay. Very close to the beack. Spent a bit more and stay on the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have stayed in the past, and will never do so again. However, we were in town for a quick weekend and decided to staop in for a few drinks Saturday evening. The place was dead. We sat out at the pool bar, and were treated rudely by both bartenders. As we sat watching the bartenders at work, I realized they were skimming the drawers! Almost every single drink they rang in was $1, and the rest went into the tip bucket. Every drink, every time. I inquired if there were drink special, and was told it was Saturday - what a stupid question! LOL..really?

We left that bar, and went inside, and wouldn't you believe it, the bartender was doing it there too!

This place has systemic issues that it cannot overcome. It is staffed with untrustworthy employees, and that is a shame. I will never step foot in the place again. I am told I am a generous tipper, and love to tip - especially in gay establishments. But I won't give a dime over to thieves.
I encourage you to avoid this place. If they will steal from the owner, they certainly will steal from you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is your basic gay/lesbian motel with ool, bars, and restaurant. For the money, our king sized bed was very comfortable. More updates needed to the bathroom as still very dated but the room was clean. Our only issue was that the internet never worked. We called the front desk and they advised that they had had problems during the day but that it was now fixed. It never worked that night or the next morning.

Room Tip: if you want more quiet then choose an outside room, it you want the music all night then pick a pool...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Service Rating - Good
Cleanliness Rating Fair to Good
Security Rating Fair
Location Rating Fair

The Flamingo is truly an urban oasis, a place to stop for refreshment (potent cocktails at great prices), a decent meal and perhaps a cooling dip in their huge pool. You might choose this establishment as a destination and stay for days at a time. Whether you will be happy with your stay might depend on your expectations going in.

I had the opportunity to speak with some of the people working the bars and restaurants along with hotel management and I made it clear that the negative reviews I had encountered while researching places to stay had convinced me not to choose Flamingo for my 5 day pre-cruise stay in St. Pete. A friend of mine convinced me to give it a try, and I'm glad that I did. It's not a perfect paradise but I am hopeful that the management has made a commitment to address the complaints that are common in reviews.

The staff are among the hardest working group of people I've ever encountered. They work long hours to provide a resort experience for their guests. This is a full service operation and quite a handful to maintain. It is refreshing to see people trying hard in a sometimes difficult environment. The result may not be perfect, but I felt comfortable to interact with staff whether positive or negative.

And, no---it's not a Hilton; but you're not paying Hilton prices either. I'll choose the high end if I want to luxe out and dress up. If I want to r-e-l-a-x, I'll choose the Flamingo, let my hair down and get my gay on. No screaming kids or bad attitudes here. Watch a show, grab a bite to eat and enjoy the dancers in Code Bar---it's anything but boring.

I would stay at Flamingo again. I hope this review doesn't sound like a ringer----I'm inclined to accentuate the positive and the staff clearly won me over. Give it a try...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Flamingo Resort? Share your experiences!