“Looks good on the outside...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6800 Sunshine Skyway Lane, St. Petersburg, FL 33711 (Formerly Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort St Petersburg - Marina Cove)   |
Ranked #20 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
tampa
“Looks good on the outside...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here for a Half Marathon, picked this hotel because of price and it was decently rated. Pros: the grounds are very nice, beautiful views of the water.
Challenges we had: Shower curtain had a large, unsightly stain. Ate in the restaurant, mainly because there was nothing else around. It was less than half empty but service was extremely slow. Our server did the best he could but it was just severely understaffed for the evening. The restaurant manager was great, but she had not been notified that there was a race event in the area (this was a hotel listed on the race site). Manager gave us a % off, but we felt like we wasted so much time. Food was just okay. While the beds were comfortable, the A/C was SO loud, I couldn't sleep through the night. I scheduled a wake-up call but I always set the alarm on my phone just in case. Thank goodness because my wake-up call came almost 35 minutes late. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
South Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel has two good sized pools, one heated in winter.The pools are large enough to swim laps. The hotel also has a small beach with a nice view. The building is a two-story, motel-like structure and we had a second-story unit with a balcony overlooking the courtyard. The unit was small, had two double beds, a refrigerator and a small coffee maker. All-in-all quite adequate for our needs. We did not need the A/C but opened the balcony door. The hotel is right off major highway 275 but with our entrance door closed we heard no traffic noise.
We were taking courses with an Elderhostel group and had breakfasts, some lunches and one dinner at the hotel. The breakfasts were monotonous. For example, there should have been more than one choice of cold cereal. The lunches were pretty much boring. (Maybe the Elderhostel was trying to save money). Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: We liked the second floor balcony room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for stay with us during your time with Eckerd College Elderhostel/Road Scholar. They do pick a pre-determined menu for the group. Our restaurant might have offered you a few other options.
I hope you had time to enjoy some of our amenities while you were here and our beautiful weather.
Hernando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Went for a Scrapbookers weekend.Room was clean, bright & cheery. Food was great. Especially the Clam Chowder. Loved the Tiki Bar for a refreshing brew and view.
All the staff was friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
We love hosting Cheeky Chics Scrapbooking. We are glad you had a great weekend and the scrapbooking event was a success. It looks like you had a chance to spend sometime around the hotel enjoying our amenities. The soup is delicious. Our restaurant has a great menu with a variety of options. Thank you for posting the pictures with your review. Hope to see you for the next event!
Clarkston, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were able to book this hotle through Busch Gardens and got a great price that included our park passes. It was cheaper than booking the hotel alone! The rooms are a bit "tired" but we only slept in them. We had a main floor room with a view of the shuffle board deck, and it was very quiet, no complaints. Having a restaurant was great, and the upper bar-deck was fun and allowed us to have some grownup time while still keeping an eye on the kids below! 2 pools added variety, as did the small sandy beach and fishing! Our kids had a blast as we allowed them to do a little exploring on their own for the first time. (9 and 12 yrs old), since the whole place is contained and VERY kid friendly. Their is also a small arcade. We would definetly return, and actually tried to book again for this year but they were sold out! 5 minuted from the beach, and lots of food nearby.

Room Tip: This is not a high-dollar place, go for the value and a great family vacation.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Your trip sounds great. We are a preferred partner with Busch Gardens and we love when guests have a great experience at their parks and our hotel. When you get a chance to come back and visit, please request the area by shuffleboard courts. It is very quiet and great for kids. Hope you had a safe trip home.
Halethorpe, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My girlfriend and I had to be very thrifty in terms of a good hotel due to what happen to my car. So we were looking around via Priceline.com and we came across this place. It looked very good from the pictures and we decided to give it a try.

We were very impressed with the quality of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the restaurant was great, and we were even a small distance from tropicana field!

This is a hotel for a thrifty traveler in Florida, you get a 5-star hotel for a 1-star price. I'm most impressed and we're thinking about coming back in the future!

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically the same. The A/C is very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We are awesome!!! We are so glad you both had a great time. Our hotel is a treasure that sits right on the bay. Our staff really loves what they do and we take great pride in guest service. When you come back again, please give us a call and we can make your reservation perfect for you. Hope you had a safe trip back up north.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I had to make a sudden trip to Fl. because his mother is declining in health and was entering Hospice. At this time we are very unsure of how long we will be here, it is a day to day process. We had to move from one hotel to the next due to the change from Nursing home to Hospice and were referred to the Magnuson by his sister who lives near by. She recommended the hotel because it is close to her condo and she thought they may offer a discount for Condo residents. She called the hotel and spoke to Kelly, a very nice gentleman,who helped us.

He was able to secure a room for us at a discount. He assured us to take our time and arrive when we could that he had left our name at the desk. When we arrived the desk did indeed know my husbands name and gave us the discount, although we still paid more than the man checking in before us. Oh well. Who knows the circumstances. We explained that we do not know how long we will be there and the girl was nice enough.

The room is OK. My husband was a bit put off by the hotel because he felt it was over priced for the type of place it is,I think it was just the $580+ of unexpected expense for 4 nights. I don't know if I understand better than him being that I grew up in San Diego and know how expensive even motels are if they are on the Bay or the beach....but I told him it was priced fine for where it is. We get beautiful sunsets and sunrises, which are a welcome sight after the days we are experiencing! There is nothing better than to see Gods beautiful scenery every morning when you have to face the loss of a loved one.
But I am getting off subject..... the hotel is fine. We have eaten at the Periscope restaurant twice and the food was pretty good. It was empty both times and the wait staff was OK. I wish there were some way to explain that we are not on vacation so that they stop asking us how our vacation is.....but again, that is off subject because they don't know and in other circumstances it would be very friendly of them!! So I think I am going to call that a plus!!

The wifi doesn't work that well ,very, very, slow. But I use the wifi at the Hospice everyday so I am not too worried about it.
Housekeeping seems good and sweet! I have a stuffed lamb that was sitting on the bed ( yeah...STUFFED lamb...don't judge!) yesterday when we came back housekeeping had made the bed and set my lamb up on the pillows so it was the first thing I noticed when I came around the corner into the room.

SO...is it fancy? NO. Is it clean? YES! Are they KIND? YES! This is a very difficult time for us and having somewhere to come back to at the end of the day is a comfort. For that we are grateful!!

Be back after we leave!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Love the title of your post. So far so good! Our staff takes great pride in serving our guests each and everyday. A little extra touch by housekeeping can go along way. I will pass on your nice words to Kelley as well. Hopefully you all will come back to visit us soon. We wish your family well and hope you had a safe trip home. Thank you for the great pictures you posted on the site. Our sunrise is just beautiful over Tampa Bay.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

So I just returned home from my first trip to St. Petersburg, and boy I wish I would have known what I know now... I checked around here on TA for an affordable hotel on a beach in St. Petersburg, and came across this one, it gets good reviews, and the hotel says it offers a "private beach". That's an understatement! The "beach" consists of a 10ft square of sandbox sand dumped on the edge of the water. It looked like a cat box. The entire resort is full on smokey. It was so disgusting. Cigarette smoke and the smell of ashtray fills the air, and butts are all over the property. I wanted to have fresh air in my room (non smoking room) but it was obviously smoked in, so I opened the patio door, only to have 6 people smoking outside my window! So gross. Now for the room... It's old, dingy, carpet was stained and dirty. The tv was at least 10 years old. The bed was a double, although I asked for a king!! So my husband and I had to sleep in separate beds!! And the beds had springs sticking out of it. Omg awful. We walked into the pathetic restaurant, but did not eat there it was also dirty looking. This hotel is right off the freeway, and u can hear the cars zoom by your room. We did find a strip of hotels ON THE BEACH when we were searching for dinner, I wish I wouldve known about them before I booked this dump. But we've never been to the area before, so we were blind to where to look... We ate at a yummy place called Crabby Bills Seafood it was really good for a good price. They have countless hotels right next to the restaurant that sit in the sand, and are so much nicer. SO CHECK GULF BLVD!! That's where all the hotels are on the beach, with lots of places to walk to, to eat, drink and watch the sunrise ;)))

• Stayed January 2013
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were very disappointed with some of your concerns and I have shared them with my staff. We will look at your reservation and research where we errored. However we do have a man made beach on Tampa Bay that we take care of daily based upon the incoming tides. We are mostly a non smoking resort, but we still offer a few smoking rooms for those guests that request that preference. We do our best at all times to meet your reservation requests based upon the occupancy at the hotel. We wish you would give us another chance if you come back to the St. Pete area. As you can see from some of our other reviews, guests really love our place.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Been to Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove? Share your experiences!