“So Far So Good....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6800 Sunshine Skyway Lane, St. Petersburg, FL 33711 (Formerly Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort St Petersburg - Marina Cove)   |
Ranked #18 of 47 hotels in St. Petersburg
Indianapolis, Indiana
“So Far So Good....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I had to make a sudden trip to Fl. because his mother is declining in health and was entering Hospice. At this time we are very unsure of how long we will be here, it is a day to day process. We had to move from one hotel to the next due to the change from Nursing home to Hospice and were referred to the Magnuson by his sister who lives near by. She recommended the hotel because it is close to her condo and she thought they may offer a discount for Condo residents. She called the hotel and spoke to Kelly, a very nice gentleman,who helped us.

He was able to secure a room for us at a discount. He assured us to take our time and arrive when we could that he had left our name at the desk. When we arrived the desk did indeed know my husbands name and gave us the discount, although we still paid more than the man checking in before us. Oh well. Who knows the circumstances. We explained that we do not know how long we will be there and the girl was nice enough.

The room is OK. My husband was a bit put off by the hotel because he felt it was over priced for the type of place it is,I think it was just the $580+ of unexpected expense for 4 nights. I don't know if I understand better than him being that I grew up in San Diego and know how expensive even motels are if they are on the Bay or the beach....but I told him it was priced fine for where it is. We get beautiful sunsets and sunrises, which are a welcome sight after the days we are experiencing! There is nothing better than to see Gods beautiful scenery every morning when you have to face the loss of a loved one.
But I am getting off subject..... the hotel is fine. We have eaten at the Periscope restaurant twice and the food was pretty good. It was empty both times and the wait staff was OK. I wish there were some way to explain that we are not on vacation so that they stop asking us how our vacation is.....but again, that is off subject because they don't know and in other circumstances it would be very friendly of them!! So I think I am going to call that a plus!!

The wifi doesn't work that well ,very, very, slow. But I use the wifi at the Hospice everyday so I am not too worried about it.
Housekeeping seems good and sweet! I have a stuffed lamb that was sitting on the bed ( yeah...STUFFED lamb...don't judge!) yesterday when we came back housekeeping had made the bed and set my lamb up on the pillows so it was the first thing I noticed when I came around the corner into the room.

SO...is it fancy? NO. Is it clean? YES! Are they KIND? YES! This is a very difficult time for us and having somewhere to come back to at the end of the day is a comfort. For that we are grateful!!

Be back after we leave!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Love the title of your post. So far so good! Our staff takes great pride in serving our guests each and everyday. A little extra touch by housekeeping can go along way. I will pass on your nice words to Kelley as well. Hopefully you all will come back to visit us soon. We wish your family well and hope you had a safe trip home. Thank you for the great pictures you posted on the site. Our sunrise is just beautiful over Tampa Bay.

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

So I just returned home from my first trip to St. Petersburg, and boy I wish I would have known what I know now... I checked around here on TA for an affordable hotel on a beach in St. Petersburg, and came across this one, it gets good reviews, and the hotel says it offers a "private beach". That's an understatement! The "beach" consists of a 10ft square of sandbox sand dumped on the edge of the water. It looked like a cat box. The entire resort is full on smokey. It was so disgusting. Cigarette smoke and the smell of ashtray fills the air, and butts are all over the property. I wanted to have fresh air in my room (non smoking room) but it was obviously smoked in, so I opened the patio door, only to have 6 people smoking outside my window! So gross. Now for the room... It's old, dingy, carpet was stained and dirty. The tv was at least 10 years old. The bed was a double, although I asked for a king!! So my husband and I had to sleep in separate beds!! And the beds had springs sticking out of it. Omg awful. We walked into the pathetic restaurant, but did not eat there it was also dirty looking. This hotel is right off the freeway, and u can hear the cars zoom by your room. We did find a strip of hotels ON THE BEACH when we were searching for dinner, I wish I wouldve known about them before I booked this dump. But we've never been to the area before, so we were blind to where to look... We ate at a yummy place called Crabby Bills Seafood it was really good for a good price. They have countless hotels right next to the restaurant that sit in the sand, and are so much nicer. SO CHECK GULF BLVD!! That's where all the hotels are on the beach, with lots of places to walk to, to eat, drink and watch the sunrise ;)))

• Stayed January 2013
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were very disappointed with some of your concerns and I have shared them with my staff. We will look at your reservation and research where we errored. However we do have a man made beach on Tampa Bay that we take care of daily based upon the incoming tides. We are mostly a non smoking resort, but we still offer a few smoking rooms for those guests that request that preference. We do our best at all times to meet your reservation requests based upon the occupancy at the hotel. We wish you would give us another chance if you come back to the St. Pete area. As you can see from some of our other reviews, guests really love our place.
Happy New Year to you and your family.
Pinellas Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I got to see the sun rise over the water for the first time. There were dolphins playing outside our balcony window yesterday. The room is clean, the staff is excellent. They even have adjoning rooms which I haven't seen in any hotels I have stayed in before. I came just for the night but want to come back with family to enjoy the heated pool and the fishing

• Stayed December 2012
The sunrise is hard to beat. Thank you for your review and we are so glad you had a nice time at our hotel and in St. Petersburg. Our location keeps families coming back time and time again. Happy New Year!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Showers that waterfall water, ammenities soap and lotions give you that tropic air, two pools and a Tiki Hut food and drink for easy access in and out with boat in the cove. Clean property including pools,parking and restuarant. Tennis next door .... plastic pool side loungers could use larger cabana towels for sunning time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Come back anytime!!! We love the photo you posted too of the boat on the water.
Thank you for the nice review. We sure love our hotel and the tropical atmosphere.
Laurel, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband, me, and another couple got stranded in Florida during Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy. Our accommodation in Orlando expired on October 29 so we decided to head to Florida's west coast in hopes of finding warmer weather. We found this place online. It was fine; most importantly the rooms were clean and comfortable. However, it is a MOTEL not a hotel, at least in my vernacular. It does have a lovely view, and there is a small beach. The food was tasty, but not spectacular. The staff was very friendly, and we had a good time at the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We had several guests who had to extend their stays with us due to Hurricane Sandy. We are so glad you gave the west coast of Florida a try. It is beautiful over here. I am glad you enjoyed the room, food and bar. We are a full service hotel, with several different amenities for adults and kids alike. We hope you and your friends made it back up north safely. Have a happy holiday season.
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here oct. 23-29,2012. I was looking for quiet getaway that provided services so I would not have to leave the resort, unless I wanted too. This was a wonderful place that met my needs. All the staff: housekeeping, maintenance, front desk, restaurant staff, bartenders,etc., were extremely friendly and polite. While property is a bit date, everything was very clean and functional. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The food at both the restaurants was very tasty and all but one of the waitstaff were very personable. It was relaxing to sit by the pools during the day, and enjoy the scenic view of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge at night from the deck of the tiki bar at night. Great piña coladas and rum runners from Sarah! Beach area was not very pleasant, though. It desperately needed cleaning and smelled bad

Room Tip: Room 127 had a nice pool and garden view. Easy walk out to the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Sounds like you had a great stay. The weather has been great here and is really starting to cool down at night. I will pass on all your kind words to the staff, especially Sarah in the Nepa Hut Beach Bar. Our two pools sure do provide a relaxing atmosphere and a perfect escape from a busy day.
Next time you come visit from up north, please call us ahead of time. We would love to place you in the same courtyard area. It is a great spot. Hope you had a safe trip home.
Bar Harbor, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

advertised to have a beautiful and private sandy beach...it looked like a landfill, debris floating in with the tide and wedged between seaweed and oyster shell bed they called sand.....if your family is on a major budget this place will do....plan your meals though their restaurant is limited

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for the review. We do have a private man made beach that sits right on Tampa Bay. While we do get seaweed based on the tides, we maintain the beach and remove it when the tide goes out.
Our restaurant, Periscopes, is full service with a complete menu for breakfast and dinner. For a lighter meal, our Banyan Tree Deli serves lunch and delivers food to both bars.
Maybe next time you are in the area you will give us a second chance.

Been to Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove? Share your experiences!