“Hotel Mess Up” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Fort Myers, Florida
“Hotel Mess Up”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had booked our room on the phone with the hotel and when we got there the room that they had promised me was booked to someone else so they gave us another room which they said that they would give to us at the same price but when we went to check out the next day they had a higher price. So after much going back and forth with what had happened the night before they finally gave it to me at the rate that I was quoted on the phone. The room was very plain and bla and the bed was terrible, very bad mattress. All night long you could hear everything that went on in the hotel and even outside, so there was little to no sleep. The shower was awful, the paint was peeling off the tub where they had painted it and it took everything a person could muster up to get the water to turn on. It just was a bad experience all around at this hotel and I will not make the mistake of every going back there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit. Seems as if the place has declined in appearance and service. Needs lots of upgrades. Will not be returning

Nice to see they added a restaurant.Chef Toby was the best part of the stay. Give him a raise, he's wearing many hats (bus boy, cook, dishwasher, waiter)

• Stayed March 2013
NEW YORK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I do not usually leave feedback but this time I had too. I travel quite abit and stay in all kinds of hotel,cabins and Inns. I am not fussy and do not need a posh room,just something clean and comfortable.
Well to start with the pictures on the website are misleading the hotel is not as it appears much plainer than photos. They charge $6.00 a day for parking at there hotel and they also charge tax? The parking lot is attached to the property and it metered, it only cost $4.00 to park so when I asked why the $6.00 they said if you left and came back they would charge you $4.00 again. Hum didn't seem right to me.
The "free" breakfast, included coffee, orange juice, 2 cereals,bagles,toast and a few pastries with coffee. They did not fill the pastries only acouple of each were on plate and we had to wait for coffee every day as the urn was empty. This is not an expanded breakfast? They also serve breakfast for $5.00.
Ok now onto the room it was quaint the bathroom was so tiny you could not dress in it! You could use the toilet and brush your teeth over the sink at the same time.Furniture was old and out dated (not antique to match the pics) the beds were horrible...the mattress was so old and cheap you coul feel the springs, we had a terrible nights....
The house keeping was horrible we left were gone all day arrived back at the hotel 8pm, to find bed in shambles, sink never cleaned and the bathroom floor flooded! Whe I went to front desk I was told they had no one to help me. They called the manager and they wanted to change my room at 9pm to upstairs (which I can not walk the stairs and they were aware of this) They said thats all they could do. So I said I will clean the room myself and speak to the manager upon leaving tomorrow. So I did clean the room.
The next morning I was advised by the desk that the manager took $60. off my $314.(3 nights)stay. I said I wanted to speak to the manager.
He did arrive shortly after that I told him what had happened and showed him picture that I took oft the condition of the room. I said I sould have the night for free, he agreed and wrote me a check for the $22. we left. When I checked my credit card they had charge me the entire amount, he never deducted the $60. so I called him and told him the room should be totally free for that night he siad he still needed to charge me the $12. tax....what a ripoff. He did credit my card with the $60.
This hotel was run in the day by young people who have no idea of what to do , they didn't even now the area. Two of them that we spoke to said they didn't live there or they were new to the area. This is not a way to run any business, stay clear until this hotel improves, many other beautiful hotels in the area. I went for th history but it wasn't there except maybe the lumpy beds....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a hard review to write in that, I can understand those that will enjoy this place and others who would agree with where I found it lacking. I have been to and even lived in St. Pete, so I knew the location and it is great. It is within easy walking distance to a wide variety of restaurants of all types, shopping, art galleries, the waterfront etc.. Parking is adjacent to the hotel in a messy lot but safe. The hotel -chosen from on-line search for what we thought would be "quaint-old style" was indeed old. It was not my idea of a B&B. Furnishings in a very very small room and incredibly small bathroom, were simplistic. The view outside the window was a building that simply said, was such that you didn't open the blinds.

We had booked directly with the hotel, but switched when a Groupon was available. The "reception" was one cheap glass of wine or beer. There was not even a bowl of pretzels or chips and the chef said, "I didn't get a chance to go shopping!" The breakfast was DISGUSTING. White bread, the cheapest (by any standard), one-type of pastry, and a couple of cereals. This was by far the WORST breakfast choice at ANY hotel I have ever been to.

You could order a breakfast made by the "chef," but we saw what others had and the simplicity and cost were insane. He pushed the 4-5 course dinner, and after seeing the breakfast, we had no intention of paying the exorbitant price for what may be. Please know--- I have no problem paying for a special meal and experience..but I also want to get what I pay for then.

The bed was horrible and we could hear the people in the next room -their entire conversation and they were just talking in a normal voice. It was not worth staying the second night and we spoke to the manager on call. She could not have been more understanding and would have refunded us both nights if it was up to her, but Groupon had to do that, (she even offered to call Groupon), but Groupon could care less.

We appreciated her understanding, and I truly believe some with different expectations/standards may like this place, it just wasn't anywhere near the B& B experiences we have had around Florida. I'd of paid more for a better place- or had a far better full experience--(room/food) at say a Residence Inn.

Room Tip: They admittedly will tell you rooms are SMALL, but be prepared as that is a relative term and they a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Angus, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for three nights after a ten day cruise, trying to maximize our winter escape. As mentioned by other reviewers, the staff is extremely helpful and accommodating and makes up for any shortcomings associated with an older hotel. Location wise and for the price, you cannot go wrong! We enjoyed our stay and look forward to going back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The hotel and staff were outstanding - but in a learning phase, but over all our experience very good. As a couple who dine out frequently "The Find" was the Chef - 5 Star food - his personal attention to diners, while he was taking your order - serving the food and clearing the table. Our top quality 5 course pleasing to the plate dinner and its presentation was truly as good or better than we have experienced at any 5 Star Hotel or Restaurant.

Room Tip: Most room are small - very clean with period décor. Suites are very nice. Three floors but no elevat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange Park, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We spent two nights at this boutique hotel. Hotel was built in 1921 so has age-related quirkiness. Our room was comfortable, clean and spacious. The bathroom is quite small; adequate closet space. The hotel could use a bit of maintenance and upkeep. The staff that was there throughout our stay was amazing and very accommodating. Continental breakfast is included; hot breakfast available for a nominal charge.

There is no elevator for the building (3 floors) and no bellman - so you need to be able to transport your luggage. Self-parking is right next door at only $6/daily - and you are in walking distance to the waterfront and a lot of downtown restaurants, shopping, etc.

We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!