“Atmosphere, great food, and excellent drinks” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 736 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Caribbean, Peruvian, Latin, Spanish, Cuban, South American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Avenue South
Transit: Free Public Transportation for Tropicana Field sporting events, i.e., Rays games, one block away. A municipal PTSA bus stop is across the street at Publix. Taxi’s all know Cantina.
Description: With Mexican cuisine at its heart, Red Mesa Cantina blends Latin and Caribbean kitchen traditions to create a menu of exquisite ceviches, tacos, and small plate classics that deliver bold, fresh flavors. An award winning, word-of-mouth favorite among locals and visitors alike with the most extensive selection of Tequilas in the South!
Florida
“Atmosphere, great food, and excellent drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My first visit to Red Mesa Cantina was short and sweet for a quick appetizer and drink about a year ago. I was excited to return recently, as both were good before.

WOW is all I can say. The outdoor seating/courtyard is beautiful. The waterfall feature in the center of the seating is so relaxing as you enjoy the beautiful weather. If you don't prefer courtyard seating, there are also comfy booths under cover, but still outside, along with indoor seating.

We had 2 appetizers that were both tasty and generous. The margarita menu has a number of concoctions. Both that we tried were excellent. The premium prices seem a bit high at first, but trust me, the drinks are much more than ample (triples maybe?) and the bartenders are not shy with their mixtures. Excellent!

The main courses were just as perfect as the rest of the food, drinks, and ambience.

Don't hesitate to go. Some of the best Mexican food and drink I've had in a LONG time.

• Visited December 2012

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“Consistently good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Every time we go here we have a good experience - from the food to the service. This time our female server was polite, knowledgeable, not intrusive, not phony, quite funny actually. The service is prompt and polite. The food was excellent and came in proper amount of time. Everything I have ever ordered has been good. Only one time I didn't like something, but it was only that I don't (can't) eat raw onions and I didn't know it when I ordered the dish. At my house we fight for the leftovers, it is that good, first to the fridge gets the prize. And the leftover food is not congealed fat/grease like so many leftovers from similar restaurants. Medium priced, good value. Bring a sweater because the front part of the restaurant is very cold, the back not as much. We return often.

• Visited October 2012
Orlando
“Great food but magarita's are way too expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great food. The magarita's are good but they give you a very small drink that it twice the cost of any other magarita. Best option is to order pick up and go home and make your own magarita. You will save a ton of money not drinking there.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've eaten here many times, and really enjoyed the food each time I've been there. My tip, though, is to sit outside if you can. For some reason the service is better outside, and it's SOOO loud inside you can't hear the person sitting next to you. The outside experience is great, though.

Visited May 2012
Dunedin, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

my husband and i had business near st pete on last sunday and we were looking for somewhere to have brunch or lunch.i had been to the red mesa cantina before with a girlfriend and really enjoyed the whole experience so i decided to treat my husband. it was a beautiful day so we got a seat on the patio where the sounds of all the fountains was so relaxing.my husband was so impressed with the food and the wonderful service. thanks red mesa for making our sunday a perfect day!

• Visited November 2012