“After-Dinner Stroll In Florence” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Ice Cream
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Late Night, Dessert
St. Petersburg, Florida
“After-Dinner Stroll In Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I first noticed Paciugo when they used to have a stall at the Saturday Morning Market, where they sold mainly coffee, and about 6 flavors of gelato. I never tried the ice cream, but their coffee was always superb. When they stopped coming to the Market, I started bringing my own coffee.

Recently, I have strolled into their shop on Beach Drive a few times for gelato. Although a bit on the pricey side, you do get your money's worth. There are MANY flavors, and you can ask for a taste, and then squeezed 2-3 flavors into even their smallest portion cup. They usually fill the container to overflowing, so you need to eat fast at first to prevent dripping, especially if you step back outside. There are a few tables and free wi-fi both inside and outside.

My memories of gelato mainly center around after-dinner strolls in Florence Italy, in the backpacking late 1970's. Residents and tourists alike would line up at ice-cream shops, and the basic nocciola (hazelnut) flavor was absolutely sublime. Freshly made, with no chemicals, guar gum, and other hideous texturants. I don't know if the Florentine gelato is still as good, but the memory remains 35+ years later.

Paciugo's product comes as close as I have tasted to the real Italian experience. The flavors are strong and identifiable, with no off notes. The consistency is lovely, mouthfeel sublime, and sugar content off the charts. It's an absolutely wonderful treat if you have any affinity for genuine ice cream as it used to be, and should be. Squisito!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Newville, Pennsylvania
“Great Desert, But #1?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is one of those things I do not understand about Tripadvisor. Yes the Gelato is fantastic, albeit a bit pricey, with numerous choices but the #1 ranking for restaurants in Saint Petersburg? There should be a sub category for places like this.

They do have at least one Gelato for those that are diabetic which was nice. We sat at the tables on the side walk and watched the world go by for a while.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Trip advisor ratings didn't dissapoint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Went off the advice of Trip Advisor and the reviews. My Virgin gelato experience at Paciugo was excellent! Tried a small strawberry, mixed berry, and raspberry!

Sarasota, Florida
“Incredible Gelato!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This gelato is delicious. Thank goodness I don't live closer or my diet would be ruined! I've been here many times and the quality is consistent. My only complaint is that even the small is very large (fits 3 different flavors) and, as a result I eat too much!! My favorite flavors are: Bacio (chocolate hazelnut) and panna cotta. My daughter's favorites are: Amarena (cherry & vanilla) and Tres Vanille (vanilla).

Tampa, Florida
“The reviews are true!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I had been to Paciugo many time while living in Dallas and did not realize there was one in downtown St. Pete so was pleasantly surprised to see it while staying in St. Pete for the weekend. The staff is super friendly and when I asked our server what her favorite was, she enthusiastically responded and then readily offered samples for numerous flavors. I ended up with a Bailey's flavor and the chunky chocolate (or something like that) - so good! My son also had the raspberry and that was delicious also. Definitely worth a stop to treat yourself!