“Historic charm meets modern fun” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
clearwater, florida
“Historic charm meets modern fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel has certainly made an old place new, in a way that respects the past but showcases the present. The old details, like heavy plastering, mosaic bathroom tiles, beautiful doors, trims and hardware stand in contrast to the funky, fun colors, textiles and decor....I loved it. Check in was fast, there is easy and plentiful FREE parking (this can save you a bundle in St Pete), and a large lobby with lots of space to kick back. We did not eat or drink there so I can't comment on the food, but the bar looked nice. Our room was plenty big for our needs. The inspired decor did not disappoint! The bathroom, though small, had two well placed mirrors so that my girlfriend and I could both be in there getting ready at the same time. There was a long, narrow shelf which gave us ample room to store our toiletries. Very comfortable beds. Nice large window affording ample natural light.

One drawback is that the floors are wood laminate, which I appreciate, but I think may have contributed to noise from the guests above us. They got up early and the clomping around over our heads did wake us up. There is also a large construction project going on across the street from the hotel entrance. It was a bit windy and we got totally dirt blasted on our way in. Parking is to the side and back of the hotel, so once we knew that, we just didn't go in and out the front door any more. The construction is an eyesore and for now I wouldn't want to spend time on the charming front porch, but once it is done am sure it will be beautiful. We did have to pay an exorbitant price for the room as it was Blues Fest weekend. But that was true everywhere.

If I had reason to be in the area again, I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ShannonMayBaystar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback so we know how we are doing. Thank you for your kind comments. We work hard to serve all of our guests and work on improving our services and amenities daily.

It was a pleasure serving you and we hope to see you again!

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We used this hotel for an overnight stay when visiting Tropicana Field For a Rays Baseball game. Excellent location with taxis waiting immediately outside, friendly staff and clean room with 2 x 3 quarter beds which was fine for a 1 night stay. Small bathroom (no bath), but again for short stay is fine. We certainly managed as a family of 5. Can't comment on food as we didn't eat there thru pure choice/time......although the bar was very pleasant!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We are a boutique hotel and have original 1920's bathrooms and other amenities. We have added many conveniences and are constantly working to improve.

Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to serving you again.
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at hotel indigo just for the night as we were not planning on staying in st Pete after the rays game. First of all we got a great price for the room compared to the Marriott down the street, and we did not expect the beautiful decorations. The room was very comfortable, best bed we have ever slept on at a hotel by far. The lady at the front desk was friendly and helpful. I have nothing but good things to say. Even the room coffee was good, which is usually terrible at most hotels. The hotel is in walking distance from all the good bars, less than 5 minutes. Thank you for a great stay, we will be back for our next weekend in st Pete.

Key West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Excellent downtown location, wonderful staff. Small rooms but clean and nice and good food. Special kudos to the friendly and professional staff.. We attended the Grand Prix of St. Pete and this hotel is in a great location, close to the circuit and easy walk to most attractions, museums.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ShannonMayBaystar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your needs in Downtown St. Petersburg!

Thank you for the positive review! We hope future guests feel the same and we will strive to offer the best service possible!
Sarnia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As one might expect with a three star property, there were some hits and some misses. We didn't want a cookie cutter room at a chain hotel, so we were prepared for some ups and downs, and that's what we go. We stayed for a week while visiting St Petersburg. The location is great, easy walk to all of the attractions, restaurants, and shops downtown. We had a king suite - which is a misleading name. It was one smallish room with a king bed and a sleeper sofa. The microwave was stacked on the bar fridge. There was very little place to put things away - the closet was perhaps 30 inches wide with one low hanging rod - accessible to someone wheelchair bound, but left our clothes touching the floor and no spot for shoes or suitcases. Lack of a dresser was frustrating over a seven night stay. The bed was very comfortable, and we slept well. The pool was a disappointment, it was small and didn't seem too clean - and was right off limits for us once we saw a guest bring her dog in for a swim - disgusting. Water pressure in the shower was at times so low as to make it impossible to shower. The front porch was a nice spot - but unfortunately it was the hangout for smokers and all of the furniture smelled of cigarettes and cigars. One bar table is place out on a small piece of the porch that juts out and gets a good breeze - it was the only spot that didn't smell strongly of smokers. The staff were friendly, and the relaxed vibe was pleasant. We did not eat any meals at the hotel, there are too many interesting cafes and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your honest and positive comments to assist other potential guests in the future.

We pride ourselves on our hard-working, professional staff who will try to do whatever possible to make your stay comfortable. Thank you for noticing their efforts! We are a boutique hotel over 87 years old. We understand problems may come up during your stay and we wish to address all of those needs while you are here with us.

I am concerned that you were not able to locate the dresser as all of our suites and rooms have dresser drawers for your clothes, located in the closet. We have addressed your concerns with our heated pool and ensure it is cleaned each morning and night for guests. We were unaware of any guests with pets using the pool as this is strictly prohibited and should we be aware of this, would take serious action right away.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and we thank you for your review and for staying with us.
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Rented this hotel for a bachelorette party and it just couldn't have been more perfect. The staff told us it was built in the 1920's, which explains the smaller rooms but they updated the decor so it's now a mixture of old charm and swanky modern. The staff was great, parking is free (which is hard to find downtown st Pete) and the location is perfect. A block or two in every direction will take you to restaurants, bars, the pier, parks, and beach drive. Only thing that wasn't my favorite was the elevator but considering its age, i suppose it's allowed to be slow and creaky. Stay here!

• Stayed March 2013
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

OK, I have to say this is a bit of a weird place. It's a historic hotel that has been recently modernized and is a welcome addition to downtown St. Pete, which is in drastic need of more good quality hotels. I stayed for three nights on business for the first time, which was a deviation from the tired old Hilton or the often-overpriced Vinoy (I stay in St. Pete 20-25 days a year). However, there are little bits that can be a bit annoying compared to some of the other area full-service hotels.

I was given King Suite room 120, which is was a handicap-accessible room with a tiny living room. There is a small desk in the bedroom. The first annoying thing I experienced was the heating/airconditioning unit. Since the building is fairly old, there is no building-wide central AC and, instead, each room is equipped with a wall-mounted Mitsubishi aircon unit. I found this unit to be noisy and not terribly efficient. The bathroom, unfortunately, did not have any heat. I understand this is Florida, but winter nights are often cold and this week I pretty much froze in the bathroom every night and morning as the outside temperature hit the high 40s.

The bathroom is nothing exciting, but the accessible room at least guaranteed a big shower. The hotel uses Aveda bath products but, unfortunately, the staff doesn't seem to stock the bathrooms correctly. On day one, I was not given any hair conditioner, which is no big deal (it's possible that they actually don't provide conditioner, anyway). On day three, however, my toiletries were refreshed and I was not given any shampoo. Unfortunately, I discovered this as I was in the shower. Finally, the water pressure in the shower is poor, and I'm being generous. On top of that, each day, the pressure would drop to near nothing for 2-3 seconds about 5 times during my shower.

My next issue is the noise: On my first night, I was laying in bed and heard lots of shouting outside my room - for almost 20 minutes. I called the front desk and the gentleman asked if I was sure that it was outside because "the walls are thin in the hotel", which was honest, but a bit disturbing (something I'll keep in mind before considering another stay). The gentleman did go outside and take care of the problem promptly. I recommend staying away from any rooms that face the front patio for reasons like this. I heard all sorts of noise throughout the stay, from cars to people to a rushing storm drain directly outside of my front window.

The most annoying thing for me, a business traveler, was that there was nearly no wifi signal in the bedroom of 120. It was un usable by my iPad or iPhone and it was very slow for my laptop.

The restaurant/breakfast situation is a weird. There is no dedicated restaurant and there are about 8-10 tables scattered on one side of the lobby around the bar. The menu is pleasant, but some of my colleagues were disappointed with their food. When asked if the eggs they were served were microwaved, the waitress was, again, honest and said that they were. My fruit/yogurt/honey parfait was fresh, generous in size and tasty.

There are upsides. First, the hotel staff is very friendly and everyone does what they can do to make your stay pleasant. Second, the location is very convenient to everything downtown: bars, restaurants, offices, museums, etc. Third, this is a very clean, well-kept property.

I'm not sure if I would stay again. I brought 9 colleagues with me on this trip and their consensus was 'no', but we are all business travelers who usually have the privilege of staying in nice hotels. For a weekend trip or short vacation, I would say this hotel is probably fine, assuming you get a good rate. The rate I paid for my room this week was the highest I've paid anywhere in downtown St. Pete in the last year and I don't believe it was worth the rate.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the front of the hotel. Suites are good for the extra space in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ShannonMayBaystar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We do pride ourselves on guest service and staff work hard to ensure all of our guests needs are met and expectations are delivered. We thank you for acknowledging that in your review! We will be sure to address our housekeeping staff with regards to toiletries in the room to ensure they are well-stocked at all times. We also do our best to quiet noisy areas either outside or inside the hotel.

Our hotel is a boutique-style hotel and although completely renovated, we have some of the original historic properties from the 1920's, such as the room size and bathroom size. Our lobby area/restaurant/lounge is meant to be a place for all to relax and enjoy the hotel before traveling out to the sights only 2 blocks away or to grab a bite to eat, enjoy a game of chess, or a nightcap before retreating to their room. It has a little bit of everything, and is not your traditional-looking "restaurant".

We have upgraded several of our showerheads in the rooms and corrected any water pressure issues you may have encountered and our A/C and heat, are actually state-of-the art remote control systems. We will look into those problems you outlined in that room and correct if needed. We have wi-fi throughout the hotel and 24 hour assistance IT support who can assist with any problems or issues with connectivity.

We hope we get the opportunity to have you visit us again in the future and look forward to working toward exceeding your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly as well. We would love to be able to convince you that Hotel Indigo is a brand for you.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North? Share your experiences!