“Average stay, but needs some polishing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 46 hotels in St. Petersburg
New York City, New York
“Average stay, but needs some polishing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

OK, I have to say this is a bit of a weird place. It's a historic hotel that has been recently modernized and is a welcome addition to downtown St. Pete, which is in drastic need of more good quality hotels. I stayed for three nights on business for the first time, which was a deviation from the tired old Hilton or the often-overpriced Vinoy (I stay in St. Pete 20-25 days a year). However, there are little bits that can be a bit annoying compared to some of the other area full-service hotels.

I was given King Suite room 120, which is was a handicap-accessible room with a tiny living room. There is a small desk in the bedroom. The first annoying thing I experienced was the heating/airconditioning unit. Since the building is fairly old, there is no building-wide central AC and, instead, each room is equipped with a wall-mounted Mitsubishi aircon unit. I found this unit to be noisy and not terribly efficient. The bathroom, unfortunately, did not have any heat. I understand this is Florida, but winter nights are often cold and this week I pretty much froze in the bathroom every night and morning as the outside temperature hit the high 40s.

The bathroom is nothing exciting, but the accessible room at least guaranteed a big shower. The hotel uses Aveda bath products but, unfortunately, the staff doesn't seem to stock the bathrooms correctly. On day one, I was not given any hair conditioner, which is no big deal (it's possible that they actually don't provide conditioner, anyway). On day three, however, my toiletries were refreshed and I was not given any shampoo. Unfortunately, I discovered this as I was in the shower. Finally, the water pressure in the shower is poor, and I'm being generous. On top of that, each day, the pressure would drop to near nothing for 2-3 seconds about 5 times during my shower.

My next issue is the noise: On my first night, I was laying in bed and heard lots of shouting outside my room - for almost 20 minutes. I called the front desk and the gentleman asked if I was sure that it was outside because "the walls are thin in the hotel", which was honest, but a bit disturbing (something I'll keep in mind before considering another stay). The gentleman did go outside and take care of the problem promptly. I recommend staying away from any rooms that face the front patio for reasons like this. I heard all sorts of noise throughout the stay, from cars to people to a rushing storm drain directly outside of my front window.

The most annoying thing for me, a business traveler, was that there was nearly no wifi signal in the bedroom of 120. It was un usable by my iPad or iPhone and it was very slow for my laptop.

The restaurant/breakfast situation is a weird. There is no dedicated restaurant and there are about 8-10 tables scattered on one side of the lobby around the bar. The menu is pleasant, but some of my colleagues were disappointed with their food. When asked if the eggs they were served were microwaved, the waitress was, again, honest and said that they were. My fruit/yogurt/honey parfait was fresh, generous in size and tasty.

There are upsides. First, the hotel staff is very friendly and everyone does what they can do to make your stay pleasant. Second, the location is very convenient to everything downtown: bars, restaurants, offices, museums, etc. Third, this is a very clean, well-kept property.

I'm not sure if I would stay again. I brought 9 colleagues with me on this trip and their consensus was 'no', but we are all business travelers who usually have the privilege of staying in nice hotels. For a weekend trip or short vacation, I would say this hotel is probably fine, assuming you get a good rate. The rate I paid for my room this week was the highest I've paid anywhere in downtown St. Pete in the last year and I don't believe it was worth the rate.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the front of the hotel. Suites are good for the extra space in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ShannonMayBaystar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We do pride ourselves on guest service and staff work hard to ensure all of our guests needs are met and expectations are delivered. We thank you for acknowledging that in your review! We will be sure to address our housekeeping staff with regards to toiletries in the room to ensure they are well-stocked at all times. We also do our best to quiet noisy areas either outside or inside the hotel.

Our hotel is a boutique-style hotel and although completely renovated, we have some of the original historic properties from the 1920's, such as the room size and bathroom size. Our lobby area/restaurant/lounge is meant to be a place for all to relax and enjoy the hotel before traveling out to the sights only 2 blocks away or to grab a bite to eat, enjoy a game of chess, or a nightcap before retreating to their room. It has a little bit of everything, and is not your traditional-looking "restaurant".

We have upgraded several of our showerheads in the rooms and corrected any water pressure issues you may have encountered and our A/C and heat, are actually state-of-the art remote control systems. We will look into those problems you outlined in that room and correct if needed. We have wi-fi throughout the hotel and 24 hour assistance IT support who can assist with any problems or issues with connectivity.

We hope we get the opportunity to have you visit us again in the future and look forward to working toward exceeding your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly as well. We would love to be able to convince you that Hotel Indigo is a brand for you.

Thank you again for your feedback.

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were there for one night in February, 2013. The decor in this renovated hotel is really charming, and the location is great. You can walk to many waterfront restaurants and to the Dali Museum. However, the room was small, and I had difficulty finding a spot to put the suitcases. The bathroom sink is pedestal style, which is cute but there was no countertop to place toiletries, just a narrow glass shelf above the sink. It's a good thing I remembered to put the toilet seat down, because my stuff kept falling off the shelf. Additionally, the TV was marginal at best. The card listing the channels was totally wrong, it took a long time to change each channel, and there was no digital service that identifies each channel. I had to call down to the front desk to find CNN. It is a very cute hotel, it was clean, and the staff was friendly, but personally I prefer more a larger room with modern amenities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your comments to assist other travelers in finding the right hotel for them.

We pride ourselves on great staff and excellent service and want each person to ensure all of their needs are met.

We are a boutique hotel, our historic building which was originally built in the 1920's. It does have character and charm and although completely upgraded, does have some of the original features of the property, such as a smaller than modern bathroom. We have several different rooms and each room is unique with unique characteristics.

We will be taking your feedback to see if there are any other amenities we can in the future.
Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

It's a very quiet hotel if you are traveling for rest, but the location is also amazing if you look for some fun and parties all the night. Their staff is very friendly, and more than once I had asked things like forks and knifes in my bedroom during the night and I was treated very well from all the employees. The decoration is very juvenile and colorful, but fits very well with all that Florida warmth! You just can't wait for a great breakfast... it's very simple, delicious bagels tough. It's very very clean, good beds, showers and towels, and the daily room service is perfect. They also have a small pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We pride ourselves and our staff on great service and work hard to make sure your stay is comfortable, fun, and inviting. We appeciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.
West Palm Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here with my daughters high school sailing team. Check in was a bit slow but the staff were very accommodating and attentive.

This is a very.. brightly... decorated hotel. Chartreus, pea green black and white.

Room was very small.. Smaller than some of the older boutique hotels in Europe. The bathroom in my room was even smaller. Honestly it was about the same size as the bathroom on my boat.

Breakfast (included in the room rate) was awesome.

Room Tip: Rooms are small...and bathrooms even smaller
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ashtabula, Oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The location was perfect, a short walk to both the starting line and finish line of the race. My elderly father in law accompanied us so we rented a suite. The pull out sofa bed wasn't the most comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was very poor. We loved the old world atmosphere but disappointed with the amenities. For the price I would have expected free continental breakfast and newspaper, but the we were nickel and dimed for everything that is usually free in most hotels I've stayed in.

We made our reservation through holiday-inn.com and were planning on staying two nights because we couldn't get a flight out until Monday. A couple weeks before our trip, we were able to change our flight and called the hotel to change our reservation. When we checked out the desk clerk informed that it was a prepaid 'guaranteed' reservation and that she was not authorized to make any refunds. She gave us the managers business card and suggested that we call during the day on Monday. Before we had a chance to call, the manager called us to let us know that she issuing a refund for the unused night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were originally supposed to stay in Indigo for two nights,but due to weather we were not able to make our connecting flight so we only stayed one night. I was very happy for that once I saw the room we stayed in. First of all, when we found out that we wouldn't be making it to Indigo our first night, we called and spoke to Nathan twice. Once to tell him that we may not make it so we didn't want to be charged and a second time to officially inform him that we would definitely not make it. During that second conversation, we asked him if we could check in as soon as we showed up the next day. He informed us that we would indeed be able to check in because there would be no one checking in that night as no one wanted a room for only one night. So when we finally showed up a day late in St.Petersburg, we were NOT able to check in early even though we were told the day before that there would be no problem. We, of course, were not happy!!!!
When we were finally able to check in, we were VERY disappointed by our room!!!! The king size bed was not really a king size, it was just a bit bigger than a queen. I believe it was a good thing because the bed took up pretty much the whole room. It was the smallest hotel room I had EVER been in. This room WAS NOT worth $199 a night. The bathroom was the smallest bathroom I had ever been in also. I could barely sit on the toilet without hitting the small sink!!!
After the 1/2 marathon, I was most looking forward to a relaxing hot shower....That too was a HUGE disappointment. The water occasionally came out of the shower spout, it periodically stopped, the water became VERY hot once then would turn cold. Needless to say my shower was a disappointing spit bath!!!!
Two pros.... A nice front porch to sit on and they had water with limes and lemons in it at the front desk.
I would NOT recommend this hotel at all. It's unfortunate that it was recommended by the Rock n Roll series, it really puts a bad name to them!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Stephanie R,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Kindly accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future as we continue to try to improve and update our property, which does include the rooms on property.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay in this comfortable hotel. I liked the decor, the colors and the big paintings in the walls. Rooms had wood floors. Beds and pillows were clean and comfy. Our bathroom had a window and we got natural light. Staff was friendly all the time. The hotel is located one block from restaurants and shops. Dali museum is just a 10-15 min walk.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North? Share your experiences!