“Memorial weekend disaster” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn St. Petersburg North

Save Saved
You added Days Inn St. Petersburg North to your Saves list
Days Inn St. Petersburg North
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5005 N. 34th Street, St. Petersburg, FL 33714 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel Ocean Palms)   |
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Parkland
“Memorial weekend disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I made a reservation for over the Memorial day weekend. I called earlier in the evening around 5:30 to let someone know I would be arriving late. Jeremy said he would see me soon. I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me. I got there late as I new I would. Met with Jeremy and checked in. He gave us our room keys. We left the front desk area walked to the stairway and were immediately cutoff by a huge palmetto bug (roach). Now I understand its Florida and your going to get them. But not a good start. We walk the full length of the hotel to our room. The hotel has outer walkways. We get to our room and there is a rope connected to our door knob extend to the railing saying "under construction". I am like huh? My son and I were able to work the rope free. Our room key worked. Great only to find no bed and the room REALLY was under construction. So I call Jeremy and he of course says comeback to the front desk sorry for the mistake. We walk all the way back only to be told by Jeremy that the only room they had left was one with a queen bed. I am now exhausted and frustrated. I was up at 5:30 am worked all day. Drove 4 hours. Now we have 1 bed. Time to walk away to regroup and regain my composure. I went to the bathroom. I got back and Jeremy was trying to resolve a bad situation. He tells me there is a room that another person would not stay in because the floor buckled up. This room was recently renovated he tells me but the floor was not installed properly and was popping up. But it has 2 beds. I said do I really have a choice? Jeremy said he would be glad to refund our money but Expedia would have to refund them first. So off we went to this room. My son pops the door open and its 110 in the room. The floor was popping up and really noisy if you walked anywhere. I turned on the ac and we waited patiently for the room to cool off. I went to the sink to wash up only to find live roaches in the sink!! That is it I am done!! We grabbed our stuff and off we went back to the front desk. I left the room keys on the front desk. I saw Jeremy as we were leaving and he was surprised to see us leaving as he thought he had resolved a bad situation. Now i am really screwed as this was Memorial day weekend and there are no rooms anywhere. Oh well that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks and going with a few good reviews. I am working on getting my refund from Expedia. So lesson to be learned....take the advice of the bad reviews.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

For the price I paid I really got more than expected. Flat screen TV, micro, mini fridge, shower massage, etc... The swimming pool(s) are crystal clear and the grounds are well kept. The location is a bit industrial (car dealerships). I had use of a car so it wasn't more than fifteen minutes to the beach or night life. There is a Denny's right next door and fast food restaurants just over the hill/bridge to the south of the hotel. Being a budget traveler my experience here was a great one. Economically speaking this hotel is your best bet - very friendly staff and great value. If you're looking for a five star hotel with laundry valet and turn down service this one is not for you. But if you're on a tight budget and don't want to stay at a backpackers, it is definitely thee place! Win - Win

P.S. - From the start Heather at the front desk was so very welcoming when I first arrived. What a great way to start my b-day getaway... she genuinely cares about how your stay is going. Thanks Heather!

Room Tip: At check in ask for an updated room with a pool view. Much better than facing a paking lot hearing c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
dddd
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Do not stay at this "hotel"!
It has been the worst experience I have made so far.
The trouble already started when we wanted to check in. They did not even have our data in the system so we had to pretty much book a room again. The room was dirty (I did not dare take my shoes off).
The worst part was the next day - we did not have any cold water and since it was impossible to wash with burning hot water we immediately called the front desk. After a very long time and endless calling they finally sent someone to fix the problem: the maintenance guy turned out to be a completely clueless guy who did absolutely nothing to help. What is more, he disappeared without giving us any explanation! Again after endless calling we were offered another room where we could shower. My husband had to walk with his bathing items to the other room and come back with his wet hair (no hairdryer of course).

The guy at the front desk was very rude and no helpful at all!

Please do yourself a favor and never book a room over there!!!!!!

Kate

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OceanPalms5005, Manager at Days Inn St. Petersburg North, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
We are a fairly new Hotel and have some issues that have been addressed. As the manager I apologize for your interesting stay, however I encourage you and your family to try our Hotel in the future and I will personally take care of you. Please email me directly at oceanpalmshotel@yahoo.com
bluffton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently visited St. Petersburg on a business trip and stayed at this hotel. The hotel seemed newly decorated then when I was here last year. I asked the front desk person and he said that they had change of ownership and that they were upgrading all the rooms. I certainly found this to be the case when I went in the room. The room was clean, the beds and furniture was new with flat screen tv. Overall pleasant experience this time then last time I stayed here which was horrible.
They have weeded out bad guests and it was very quite and peaceful. I will definitely come back here. Friendly personnel makes the difference as well.

Room Tip: They have over 80 newly renovated rooms so ask for one of them.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very much enjoyed my stay. The front desk clerks were so polite and helpful throughout my visit and the prices were quite agreeable for the ambiance of hotel. My room was spacious and clean and I loved the fact that there is an on site laundry facility. Next time I'm in town Ocean Palms Hotel is definitely going to be where I return to!

Room Tip: Even room numbers are located near the pool
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Butler PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here July 4-8, during our trip to Florida. The room was decent, clean, but there was no dresser or coffee maker in the room. Also there was no iron and ironing boards available for visitors to use. The pool area was nice, the water was great! The bathroom was very small, but served its purpose. No breakfast of any sort, but there was a Dennys next door, which was a bit dirty and the food wasnt that great. The location was decent, close to many restaurants and the beach areas.

Room Tip: I recommend a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We were a church group with pre-teens and young teenagers. When we checked in, having to pay CASH for the ENTIRE reservation time in ADVANCE, we went to our rooms to find soiled sheets remaining from the last occupants' sexual encounter. Everything was filthy, and the "free continental breakfast" consisted of stale cereal, bruised and rotting fruit, old coffee, sour juice and paper plates. DISGUSTING!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Days Inn St. Petersburg North? Share your experiences!