“Inviting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Birchwood

Save Saved
You added The Birchwood to your Saves list
The Birchwood
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   340 Beach Dr NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701 (Formerly Grayl's Hotel)   |
Ranked #14 of 45 hotels in St. Petersburg
florida
“Inviting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I chose my title carefully. When I first entered my room, it was cozy and warm. The large four poster bed looked so "comfy", as did the easy chair and ottoman. The Bathroom was an experience in itself. The stall rain shower could hold 6 people, (if you had six dirty people to clean!), and the Victorian tub was elegant. The most inviting aspect was the staff. Each had a smile to give and a warm hello. This is so unusual in today's travel-to many staff, it is a job- to the staff at Birchwood, it appears to be an "I want to work here and help our guests" attitude. This can only be the effort of the management. Thank you Birchwood for a lovely 3 days.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at the Birchwood for 4 nights last November and it was lovely - we arrived late afternoon and were greeted by a bright bubbly lady who checked us in and walked us up to our room and explained the ins and outs of the hotel.

The room we had was spacious, we found out on the last day that it was the honeymoon suite,the bed was large and comfy, the bathroom was a little too dimly lit for me, but was huge.

The room service was great - we didn't see any cleaners our whole stay but they had our room spotless every day - even when we left late in the day to do the touristy thing , we never heard them knocking to get into our room - so that was awesome.

The hotel is opposite the waterfront and a beautiful park/reserve that is nice to walk through, easy access into the main strip/restaurants etc...museums

We ate in the restaurant (well out at the street tables) , the food was spot on and the service was attentive - I hope we left the right amount of tips!! Was fun to watch the projection on the ground of the happenings upstairs at the rooftop bar - was different!

We checked out the roof top bar before heading out one night and I can honestly say that I could have stayed there all night, the view was great and the vibe was fun but relaxing..

Would I stay here again?....Yes

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

classy place; very crowded for a Thursday evening. Service was not as efficient as it could have been. We waited a long time to order, and when drinks were delivered, no napkin was offered, so condensation fell all over my clothes. Not too swift!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at The Birchwood for the first time this weekend and had such a great time. We loved the friendly customer service and beautiful rooms. The halls even smelled amazing every time you walked through to the elevator. After walking to the many places downtown you can get to on foot, we ended up at the roof top bar almost every night. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Book ahead!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place is great! It's got a great atmosphere and they have good food selections. Check out the rooftop deck! You get great views of the water and a great place to hang out. Try to go at sunset! Please note: it does get quite busy. Try to go early if you have the time.

Stayed May 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed two nights this past weekend at the Birchwood. Beautifully furnished clean new and with a location that can't be beat. The rooms are huge and the bathroom included a large tub and walk in rain shower. The restaurant and the rooftop bar The Canopy are wonderful as well

Stayed July 2014
Key Largo, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I booked a room on the 3rd of July for the 4th, explained to 2 people on the phone I had teenagers and one had a cast on her leg and I was staying at the hotel to take them to see the fireworks on the rooftop for the convenience of not having to leave the hotel. I planned to have people meet me for dinner on the roof as well. As we went up to watch the fireworks we are stopped because you must be 21 because they serve liquor. I asked hotel manager if age limit was on website and he said yes, so the next morning I checked when I got home and its nowhere. Ron the manager admitted it was not on there and they were going to change it. I also had a noisy air conditioner that wasn't working right and at 5am got to hear the restaurant in the alley doing something . I got no sleep. The room was 300 and I told them I felt deceived and someone should have told me on the phone about the age because I could have made other plans. I felt we should split the room charge but Ron said he would have to ask the owner. That was over a week ago and still no call back. Also all the stairs and elevators are locked when I went down to get ice from front desk I got locked out of hotel and had to find someone, there is no ice machine and if you call down to the front desk you may or may not get an answer. Employees were very nice but it was not staffed to handle the holiday rush. Not a 350 (25 for parking the car overnight) experience. I couldn't get into the restaurant so I guess hotel guests get no priority. Poor customer service. I travel a lot and even cheap hotels do better than this. Beware you will not get any help if you need it.
Room was very pretty but to noisy.

Room Tip: I chose a back room thinking it would be quieter than the one facing the street but it wasn't.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Birchwood? Share your experiences!