“I'll never return to this place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Birchwood

and 1 more site!
You added The Birchwood to your Saves list
The Birchwood
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   340 Beach Dr NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701 (Formerly Grayl's Hotel)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Naples, Florida
“I'll never return to this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I came to this hotel for a night and nothing went right. I was thoroughly UNimpressed and very disappointed. Stay someplace else. For the price of this hotel it's not worth it. I wouldn't even pay $50 to stay here again. When I walked into my room the AC was broken so the room was 86 degrees. I asked someone to fix it and it took them 20 mins to come up. It took even longer for it to get fixed. Later when I tried to watch television that was broken too. I just wanted to relax in my room after a long trip but couldn't watch television at all. My bathroom switch was broken. Lighting was awful everywhere. There was no claw bathtub in my room which was also very disappointing. The staff lacked professionalism and didn't even try to put me in a different room after everything went wrong.

The only positive I'll say is that the beds are super cozy and the rooms are clean and beautiful.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel in the heart of St. Pete's. A very busy hotel with one of the best views especially from The Canopy roof top bar. Much attention was paid to the decor from the four-poster bed to the claw foot bathtub. However, the architects skimped on lighting in the rooms. No light in the shower, light over the sink makes it almost impossible to apply makeup and the built-in desk has no light whatsoever. Wi-fi included, but it wasn't working for 2 days in our room. The management was very apologetic about fixing this. The pillows were HUGE and uncomfortable. They only offered one type..huge mistake. Our stay included breakfast which was very nice.

Room Tip: A courtyard room and front of the hotel should be avoided. On busy nights people must wait to go up...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

While The Birchwood Hotel is very neat and the food is good the management is awful. For the price that I paid to stay there I have gotten the worst customer service of my life. I had billing issues that was a mistake on their end and it has been almost a month and there is still a charge on my card that should have been resolved the first day I called, but no one ever called me back. I am still dealing with this issue, that for a small boutique should have been easy to resolve. There was no remorse or any form of help from anyone and I had to call them every single day for a week and a half just to get someone to call me back (even though they said every day that someone would call me back that day). It is not like it is a dinner meal that they messed up on its an expensive room stay that is double charged and they seem to have no need or rush to try and help me and resolve this issue. I may go back for the rooftop bar but I will never stay in that hotel again and tell any and all of my friends that come in from out of town they are better off staying at the Hotels down the way because those hotels would have had something as big as this issue resolved by now. Such a waste of a cute hotel to have such poor management and lack of customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a quirky place. For me it was a bit hit and miss, I loved the huge claw tub. I didn't like the lack of lighting or the alarm clock in the room. I liked the free on-demand options on the television. I loved the 4-post bed - very comfortable. I didn't like the ottoman as a desk chair. I liked the soft towels. I didn't like the noise/voices from the restaurant until late at night.

The breakfast was almost useless for me. Coffee was not hot. Scrambled eggs were not just not good at all, They should put more effort into the breakfast.

Overall I had an OK week-long stay here for business, but I would probably try a different place next time,

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a tub. Some rooms do not have them,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here for one night in July while visiting family and we were very pleased with the lovely rooms, very friendly staff and amazing location. It's a cool, trendy place. The food was good, the bartenders were very nice and entertaining. It's definitely the type of place to stay if you want something a little different than a basic hotel. We checked in on a Monday, and since the hotel was not fully booked, they offered to cook us a fresh breakfast rather than setting out items ahead of time for their complimentary breakfast. It was a nice touch and they put in the extra effort, rather than going the easy route. We felt that they valued us and we plan to stay again in late November. The only thing I would have a negative comment about is that they charge for parking. It's not a cheap place to stay, so they should provide a better option for parking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed last Saturday night in a king room with no view (which we knew going in). This is the old Grayl's Hotel which was gutted and completely renovated. It's beautiful. Cost approx. $260 including tax plus $18 per night for valet parking. Over night self parking isn't much of an option in this area. Their primary focus is the bar/restaurant and wildly popular roof top lounge. We stay in St. Pete on a Sat night 4-5 times a year. I wouldn't rule out returning but there are some things they could do that would really improve the stay for me. Put a safe in the room. Put bath robes in the bathroom. Do something about the lighting in the bathroom--I had trouble seeing to shave and it's really dark in the shower. Bathroom is very nice in décor though--free standing tub and separate shower. There are only 18 rooms on 2 floors. Please put an ice machine on one of the floors. The front desk will get ice for you but they do double duty and aren't always there and with a total renovation an accessible machine should have been placed. Put a mini-fridge in the room--there is plenty of space. A ceiling fan over the bed would be nice. None of these are complete deal breakers but they would make a nice property really, really nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Celebrated my birthday at Birchwood and it was amazing . The rooftop lounge is beautiful and you can see the pier and part of downtown . Parking is a problem in downtown st pete so I parked at the pier and walk to Birchwood . The servers were prompt and courteous . The restaurant had a small dining place and I would recommend making a reservation beforehand . The food was amazing and the prices were reasonable too. I would highly recommend this place for a fun nightout .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Birchwood? Share your experiences!