“Great ,kids love it” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Science Museums, Children's Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Great Explorations Children’s Museum has served the children and families of the Tampa Bay area since 1987. Designed for children 10 and under, the 23,000 square foot museum is filled with exhibits and activities to stimulate learning through creativity, play and exploration. The museum also offers a national award winning preschool, camps and afterschool programming, field trips and community outreach programs.
St. Petersburg, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“Great ,kids love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The lady that was at the register (Anita) and her assistance were wonderful , explained everything and because of them we upgraded to a year pass, looking forward to see them again, THANKS SO MUCH

Visited January 2013

Cham, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
“Variety for all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Right next to the sunken gardens, easy to find with loads of parking. Dispite lots of kids on a rainy weekend day, this kids museum had enough space and variety for all young kids. Clean and well kept with Friendly staff, who kept the place generally organised with different things for all young kids. Our daughter (3) loved it especially the vet part and sand (rubber chips) box. As they provide no food and nothing worth while close for kids, be prepared, either bring with you or drive. Coming back in again is not a problem. Worth doing especially when the beach is not an option. Be prepared to stand or sit on the floor as seating for the accompaning adults is insufficient.

St. Petersburg, Florida
39 attraction reviews
“Terrific even for big kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Little people have a great time here but so did the adults. I couldn't wait for my grandchildren to move onto another exhibit so I could try it. Right next to Sunken Gardens it made for a marvelous day.

Clearwater, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“rainy day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

after the museum we went across the street to practically pikasso to paint your own party since they offer a discount with the admission ticket

Spring Hill, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“Fun for the Imagination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visit my mother-in-law in the St. Pete area every year, and this past Christmas was the third time we visited Great Explorations with our 3 1/2 year old daughter. We took her in the past and she loved it, and we were thrilled by how much more she loves it at this age.

It is a bit costly--$30 for all three of us, when basically, it's just for kids. Many play places charge for kids only and adults who come with them are free. I would've liked that better, since my mother-in-law came too, so that's $40 to watch my daughter play. However, it was a rainy and cooler day, so it was worth the money to find something fun to do.

They have changed some things since we were there last, and they were working on the upstairs, so that was off limits this time. There wasn't that much up there anyway, so I'm glad they are making changes. What we still love is the child-size Publix grocery. They added little carts, in the past there were just baskets. Kids still love to use their imagination in the fake little grocery store with real packages that are empty. My daughter found the fake pizza parlor to be even more fun at this age. What was new that she really enjoyed was a fake beach area enclosed by plexi glass. It's not sand, but it's the tire tread cut in very small pieces and colored white. They had all sorts of beach toys in there, and since it was a bad day for the beach, that was just perfect. It was really hard to pull her out of there. The treehouse there is always a big attraction, and my daughter went down the slide several times.

Also new was an animal section that opened at certain times. They had a small area that kids were supposed to crawl through in the dark and use their senses to get out. It's small, but my daughter and I only made it a little ways and went back out the way we came in. A little too scary for young ones. The animals were interesting--some tarantulas, snakes, etc. We didn't spend a long time in there.

It really is a fun place and there's opportunities for learning as well. I do wish they would change how they charge people to get in. Maybe $20 per child and adults for free. I wish they would stay open longer too. It closed at 4:30 the day we were there.