“An engaging museum for kids and toddlers.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 126 things to do in St. Petersburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Explorations Children’s Museum has served the children and families of the Tampa Bay area since 1987. Designed for children 10 and under, the 23,000 square foot museum is filled with exhibits and activities to stimulate learning through creativity, play and exploration. The museum also offers a national award winning preschool, camps and afterschool programming, field trips and community outreach programs.
Palm Harbor, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“An engaging museum for kids and toddlers.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

I had the occasion to visit Great Explorations for the first time in several years. I was a little apprehensive based on my past experience and reviews but was delightfully surprised by the quantity and quality of exhibits.

First, I should disclose that my boys are 3 and 5. We had a group with us with kids that ranged in age from 7 months to 6 years. We were there for about 2 1/2 hours. The kids including the youngest and oldest, kept busy with all there was to do. Several kids were having so much fun that they complained when it was time to leave. Even with the duration of our visit, my boys did not see every exhibit available.

Some exhibits require the assistance of a parent for younger kids, tweens could probably do on their own. On many exhibits, the kids were able to figure it out themselves while the adults chatted. There was a good variety of exhibits using different skills and thought processes. There are a couple interactive shows during the day. We saw "volts and jolts."

The staff were present to assist kids if needed and direct if they were playing incorrectly. Staff were cheery and pleasant.

If you're visiting the area and want something to do that's totally kid-centric (12 and under), this is a good stop. Admission is currently $10 per person. Kids are free before their 2nd birthday. Seniors are $9. There are $1 coupons available in local travel guides.

If you're local, a basic membership of $100 is a great value. Allows 5 family members admission for one year.

There is a small gift shop with toys and games. There are light refreshments available for purchase (soda, chips, etc.). Parking is free.

Overall, it was a fun experience and I look forward to taking the kids again. They want to go through the new Touch Tunnel again!

Visited April 2011

Schenectady, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Lots of fun for young children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I stumbled upon this place while I was trying to take my 5yo and 6yo niece and nephew to the Sunken Gardens (part of the same facility). It was a rainy day so this place was a God send. The kids thought they were at a Chucky Cheese type playland but the best part is, all the play areas and interactive exhibits are educational. I especially enjoyed the imaginative approach in the construction of these play areas. I had just as much fun as the kids. The place was very lively and exciting. My little ones didn't want to leave. I highly recommend Great Explorations for young kids. Big kids will definitely be out of place. This is for toddler to maybe 4th grade age kids. I must admit, I was surprised by the high admission fee. Especially for adults because clearly this wasn't a place where adults were really being entertained... you're basically there to babysit the kids having fun. However, at the end I felt the children's fees were an appropriate value.

Visited February 2011
Tampa, Florida
“Great for younger children's mock play, a bit pricey for what it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Perfect for ages 3-5. Kids who like hands-on dress-up and mock kitchen play etc. will like this museum. The newscasting station was cool, as was the stringless harp. Ages 7-8 will find enough to do to keep them busy enough as well, for a couple hours or so. For older kids, some of the more sophisticated activities are shop-worn.and/or have bits missing to them so not enough kids can play at one time or find the parts they need. They need to restock those areas. Many of the activities are educational (nutrition, safety, etc.). For kids who like IT, video games and bells/whistles, there isn't a lot of flash or instant entertainment/gratification factor to this museum. It has to be approached slowly with the primary objective of learning. The food/gift areas are not the point of the museum, so I was not disappointed that there wasn't much to them. I do not think adults, who are mostly supervising their kids' activities and not joining in, should be charged the amount that they are. I thought it was a great activity if you fit the categories above and it is a very hot or rainy day that must be spent inside. I'd equip the upper level a little better if it were me, make the activities more stimulating.

interlachen
“Stay away! What a rip off!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I spoke to a worker on the phone before going there and was told that there would be a lot of stuff for my 11 year old to do. There was nothing! Maybe a child 3 or 4 might find something but that is about it. Plus half of the stuff was broken! I would never go back.

Grand Rapids, Mi
“Much Improved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

We were at the Great Explorations in 2008 and had a very mediocre to poor experience. Many of the exhibits didn't work and the staff were few to non-existent. We were there today and had a wonderful experience with our 6, 4, and 3 year old. Many staff members were around and very helpful. The exhibits were great and interactive. Most of them worked well, and our kids didn't want to leave. What a difference from our first experience!