“I am a smoked fish nut and Ted's mullet was the best I have had.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Key West, FL
“I am a smoked fish nut and Ted's mullet was the best I have had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

As we live near Key West, I smoke a lot of fish mostly cero, king, amberjack and dolphin (mahi), but I take my hat off to Ted Peters for their smoked mullet. We had take out only and it had the right balance of oil, spice and smoke. We had it on Friday and had to go back on Sat. My only regret is that I didn't pack a cooler for the mullet for the flight home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Shady Hills, FL
“Interesting little place on a main Saint Pete Beach drag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

One day for lunch, while spending a couple days at Pass 'A Grille Beach, we drove a short distance north to Saint Pete Beach to the Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish; the food was good and I especially liked taking a look at the interesting preparation procedure. We received good service while seated at a wooden table on the patio. I did take a look inside to satisfy my curosit; found the surrounding tasteful, clean and fitting for the beach community. We ordered the smoked mullet; I think next time I will try the salmon, though. The portions of fish, cold slaw and fries were more than we could eat... Actually, one serving would have been enough for the two of us. I hope I have help you with this review.
Take a look at my photos

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Food a miss; fun atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited on a recent trip to St. Pete based on Food Network show. It was okay, but we don't plan on coming back. Based on the show, we knew they had burgers for the kids. They were average, but that's all they have, no fries, no chips, nothing but the burger unless your kids eat cole slaw or potato salad, and that seems a bit rare. My husband and I split the mahi-mahi dinner. The fish was really dry. I'm not sure if that's the way it should be, but it was like it was grilled for a super long time. I had to eat every bite with something else. I did love the potato salad, different and quite tasty. The atmosphere is quirky and we enjoyed it, although the a/c dripped on our table and the waitress had to climb up and wipe it down. I totally forgot to order the fish spread, so can't say if that's as good as people say, but otherwise, the food was a miss. Very old school -- the waitress added our bill with paper and pencil. They only take cash. I would say try it once, but share an entree in case you don't like it that much.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Best Smoked FIsh around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have been going here for over 30 years and it always fantastic. A simple meal of a huge slab of fish, onion, tomato , german potato salad and great cole slaw. The fish is always smoked to perfection. A few facts about the place, no they do NOT have french fries, they take only cash and the menu is limited smoked fish , fish spread, chowder and hamburgers for the ridiculous people who would go to a place with smoked fish in the name and want something else. My one and ONLY gripe is that the prices have really gone up but the meal is large enough to feed 2.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Super Yum! Enjoyed the A/C as well (you *don't* have to eat outside!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Even though I grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida, I had never been to Ted Peter's! How could that have been?? I guess because my father was something of a fisherman, we had plenty of fish in the house and I never had the need.

Anyway, now that I'm a "grown up," I knew I had to check this place out on a recent August visit. I am SO GLAD I did.

We came prepared -- with cash -- and everyone in our party of six was pleased.

My mother got the whole fish -- I didn't try it, but it looked great and she was very happy. I got the smoked fish spread (FABULOUS!!). Ted's was even able to satisfy my kids and husband (husband has a fish allergy) by serving up good burgers that made them very happy.

The potato salad side was excellent, as was the clam chowder (the waitress kindly gave me a tasting portion so I could try it).

Best part -- there is an air conditioned room so we could get out of the heat to eat. I didn't know that was there! No need to eat outside.

We came here for lunch after a visit to the Florida Orange Groves Winery just down the street, which was also a great stop (see my other review of that establishment). It made for a fun morning--some wine tasting followed by a yummy lunch. These are two of the best stops that can be made in St. Petersburg. Don't miss either -- we will be back to both.

• Visited August 2012