“Food a miss; fun atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Jacksonville, Florida
“Food a miss; fun atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited on a recent trip to St. Pete based on Food Network show. It was okay, but we don't plan on coming back. Based on the show, we knew they had burgers for the kids. They were average, but that's all they have, no fries, no chips, nothing but the burger unless your kids eat cole slaw or potato salad, and that seems a bit rare. My husband and I split the mahi-mahi dinner. The fish was really dry. I'm not sure if that's the way it should be, but it was like it was grilled for a super long time. I had to eat every bite with something else. I did love the potato salad, different and quite tasty. The atmosphere is quirky and we enjoyed it, although the a/c dripped on our table and the waitress had to climb up and wipe it down. I totally forgot to order the fish spread, so can't say if that's as good as people say, but otherwise, the food was a miss. Very old school -- the waitress added our bill with paper and pencil. They only take cash. I would say try it once, but share an entree in case you don't like it that much.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Best Smoked FIsh around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have been going here for over 30 years and it always fantastic. A simple meal of a huge slab of fish, onion, tomato , german potato salad and great cole slaw. The fish is always smoked to perfection. A few facts about the place, no they do NOT have french fries, they take only cash and the menu is limited smoked fish , fish spread, chowder and hamburgers for the ridiculous people who would go to a place with smoked fish in the name and want something else. My one and ONLY gripe is that the prices have really gone up but the meal is large enough to feed 2.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Super Yum! Enjoyed the A/C as well (you *don't* have to eat outside!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Even though I grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida, I had never been to Ted Peter's! How could that have been?? I guess because my father was something of a fisherman, we had plenty of fish in the house and I never had the need.

Anyway, now that I'm a "grown up," I knew I had to check this place out on a recent August visit. I am SO GLAD I did.

We came prepared -- with cash -- and everyone in our party of six was pleased.

My mother got the whole fish -- I didn't try it, but it looked great and she was very happy. I got the smoked fish spread (FABULOUS!!). Ted's was even able to satisfy my kids and husband (husband has a fish allergy) by serving up good burgers that made them very happy.

The potato salad side was excellent, as was the clam chowder (the waitress kindly gave me a tasting portion so I could try it).

Best part -- there is an air conditioned room so we could get out of the heat to eat. I didn't know that was there! No need to eat outside.

We came here for lunch after a visit to the Florida Orange Groves Winery just down the street, which was also a great stop (see my other review of that establishment). It made for a fun morning--some wine tasting followed by a yummy lunch. These are two of the best stops that can be made in St. Petersburg. Don't miss either -- we will be back to both.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Temple Terrace, Florida
“Still serving the best smoked fish ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

After a beautiful Labor Day on the beach at Pass-a-Grille we stopped by Ted Peters for smoked salmon. It was just as good as the Mahi-mahi we had a few weeks earlier, the mullet is great too. Bring cash they don't take credit cards. Sides are good too, german potato salad and cole slaw, but the fish is so good it out shines everything else.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Fish Spread is the Best Ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Featured on Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins, this spot rocks! But bring your greenbacks cause it's CASH ONLY. The fish spread is absolutely to die for. Last time we dined we only had 2 orders of it as our entire meal. This is really worth a stop.

Visited July 2012