“Laid Back Place With Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 745 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American
Newville, Pennsylvania
“Laid Back Place With Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We ate here the first night in St. Pete while running around setting up our rental house for a two week vacation. I had their special which was roast turkey which I love, even the green beans were fantastic. The wife had a seafood platter with grilled fish and shrimp which we thought would also be grilled but it was fried. For a quick place to eat the food was good and the service was excellent, although I would have liked a larger portion. The hush puppies are fantastic!

On our first visit the family behind us was a major pain since they kept sending their food back and complaining. The 10th time was evidentially the charm as they finally ate and left. I felt bad for the waitress as they hassled her to no end and left a $1 tip for her effort.

We did end up eating here a couple of times during our visit to the area and never had a bad wait person. The place does get noisy when full so if you are looking for peace and quiet you might want to go elsewhere.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saint Petersburg, FL
“Busy Cashiers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very pleasant visit. Although at peak hour on a Friday, hostess was friendly and attentive. Server was a young man who didn't stop all the time we were there. He didn't waste a step and always checked the tables and offered his attention when needed. Food was the usual excellent fried chicken and fish and the french fries perfect, everything served hot.
My only negative input on Po' Folks is the cashier station. They usually insist on serving the next customer right away even if it means having them step around the previous customer. On this occasion, I went directly to the (second) cashier but she was busy on the phone, so I went back to the first cashier who was soon finished with that customer, but she seemed to be in such a hurry although no one else was waiting at that point. I always appreciate a cashier being cheerful and at least greeting me before she annonces the total, but this one was probably anxious about the next customer appearing at any minute. I don't think the cashiers should ever feel so pressured that they can't stop to greet a paying customer. Otherwise, the place is very efficient and serves a large number of people without delay.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
venice, fl
“Really great comfort food…”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I were in the St. Pete area and stopped by the Po’ Folks for lunch. We had the all you can eat fish (Friday special), and the fried chicken. It was AWSOME….Are server was very, very nice, the price was right, and the food was great.

For some good comfort food, I highly recommend this restaurant.

PS I haven’t been to a Po’ Folks in over 25 years, and I’m so glad we stopped by.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great meal, sensible portions, very agreeable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went there for dinner while in st. Pete. Most meals come with two sides and bread but the portions are not very big so you do not over eat. The main course (I had blackened catfish) was amazing!!!! The sides leave something to be desired. Red beans and rice are disappointing, do not get them. Overall, good food at excellent prices

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
United Kingdom
“Last night dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We tried this restaurant on our last night in St Petersburg as we had passed it a couple of times and it seemed to be quite busy. The menu was varied - more country style. I had one of the salads which included a piece of county fried steak, grilled chicken and shrimp with dinner breadstick and dressings. Hubbie had the fillet steak with fries and green beans and was well pleased with the value. Service was great. We did enquire if there were any other outlets around but it seems to be the start of a new venture - a a coupoe of restaurants in NE USA and others around the Florida peninsula.

Visited April 2013